What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The cricket bat debacle

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
James Sutherland confirms his role in review of oversized bats
2263e0d9884e99f562314054de654481

Ben Horne, The Daily Telegraph
January 5, 2017 4:49pm
2263e0d9884e99f562314054de654481

CRICKET Australia boss James Sutherland has confirmed his role in helping instigate a review of the oversized bats used by superstars like his own entertainment king, David Warner.

Sutherland says he encouraged Ricky Ponting and the World Cricket Committee to thoroughly examine whether size restrictions should apply, but equally whether an overhaul of cricket balls was also needed to help safeguard bowlers from an imbalance between bat and ball.

Warner and other leading lights including Chris Lynn and Shane Watson have hit back at the proposal to ban their provocative giant willows, arguing that the game’s No. 1 priority should be to put bums on seats.

The historic hundred scored by Warner before lunch on day one of the Sydney Test and Lynn’s 121-metre BBL six spoke volumes for the crowd-pulling power of the big bat.

However, Sutherland, a former first-class quick, says the opinions of international bowlers must also be taken into consideration.

51cc78a499dfafa7ec32fdc975e93b8d

Could big bats be outlawed?
In Sutherland’s opinion, memorable moments like Warner’s century and Lynn’s six would still happen with smaller bats, but a size ban might stop the questionable look of top edges flying for six.

“I can understand people reviewing it and I think that we’d certainly encourage that with the MCC and the World Cricket Committee,” said Sutherland.

“I spoke to them in Adelaide the year before last … my views were I would encourage them to look at that, but I felt to look at the bat in isolation without looking at the ball is probably fraught, or somewhat one-dimensional.

“There are things that should be looked at with the ball as well, to ensure the ball is providing enough support for the bowlers — whether it’s around the hardness or the size of the seam.

“I think that if you hit the ball in the middle and you hit it for six, no matter what bat you’ve got, you deserve to have a six.

“But I don’t believe you deserve to be able to hit a six off an edge.”

Sutherland made it clear he’s not calling for bat restrictions, rather a thorough review to take place — because fair balance between bat and ball should be the game’s objective.

Meanwhile, Sutherland says he has no problems with the pitches prepared for the banner Test matches in Sydney and Melbourne, despite criticism they’re too flat.

Sutherland admits drop-ins like the MCG can be problematic, but is confident the new Perth Stadium will closely mimic the bouncy conditions that have always been synonymous with the WACA.

“That variability in pitches and unique character is important but at the same time, as we know, the necessities around drop-in pitches now with multipurpose stadiums does make that a little bit more challenging,” he said.

12b7bafd8c4dbf07c6253475f4e18a71

Lynn’s six was one of the biggest in BBL history.
“They’ve laid pitches at Gloucester Park (across the road from the WACA) and have actually been trialling those and using exactly the same soil as they use in the middle out at the WACA.

“They’ve actually done measurements about bounce and pace and all of those sorts of things and they’re very, very comparable to the statistics.

“One would assume on that basis when they drop them in inside the new stadium we’ll have a similar result, but time will tell.”

Cricket Australia has not heard back as yet from the Fair Work Ombudsman after a request was made by the authority to run the microscope over cricket’s women’s contracts and pregnancy guidelines.

CA is confident their current requirement that women players disclose pregnancy to a team doctor for health and safety reasons will be given the green light, but may not hear back from the Ombudsman for some time yet.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
A lot of talk about bats but very little talk about balls. Different parts of the world use different balls and I think we should be using the same type of balls world wide.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Bmacs bat broke last night in BBL,we need to make them even bigger i reckon,and also Zampa's bat broke the other day when he smashed it on the ground

These modern bats are awful lol

Barkley

Bench
Pitches and roped in boundaries not bats are the issue

Yep....roped in boundaries really pisses me off. We can obviously never go back to have the fence as the boundary but it is a joke when the rope is 20m off fence line.

For the shorter formats I am happy for the pitches to be a road, but not for test matches. Where is the "test" in batting on a road with no movement and consistent bounce?

I would still like bats to be regulated because batters are relying on power not skill to score their runs. Womens cricket (not that I watch much) is actually more pure than mens cricket in the sense that the bulk of their scoring is running between the wickets and not boundaries.

Incorrect

Coach
I would still like bats to be regulated because batters are relying on power not skill to score their runs. Womens cricket (not that I watch much) is actually more pure than mens cricket in the sense that the bulk of their scoring is running between the wickets and not boundaries.

Bit like women's golf. Because they can't just pound the ball 320+ yards and dig themselves out of trouble somewhere up near the green, they play better tee to green golf... maybe "better" is not the correct term, but at least more sound golf...

mozza91

Coach
James Sutherland talking about cricket is reminiscent of R20 trying to talk about the game.

Last edited:

Bazal

Post Whore
My 16 year old V600 has edged the ball for 6....I do agree that some of the bats these days have a bit too much going on but lets be realistic. It's got as much to do with the pace of the bowling, the bounce in the pitch and how hard you swing at it as it does with the bat. If we're using edged sixes as a measure we're going about it the wrong way

hineyrulz

Post Whore
People like India make their own balls which have a clay centre and dont bounce as much as a Kooka which has cork I think, been a while since I looked into this.
Indian balls are bat breakers, I refuse to use my latest weapon with those balls.

Timbo

Staff member
In all seriousness though the Evo I used when I finished up was ridiculous.

I had a GN Razor that I'd bought in about 2002, replaced it with the Evo in 2012. Literally the first shot I played with it went for six. As I hit it I was certain it was a lolly to mid-off, but it just kept going up and carried 15 metres over the boundary.

Likewise the bloke I used to open up with traded up from a V500 he'd bought in the early 00s to a GM Icon in the same season. This guy never used to hit sixes, suddenly you had to park your car further from the ground or have a panelbeater on retainer. It was ridiculous.

Bazal

Post Whore
In all seriousness though the Evo I used when I finished up was ridiculous.

I had a GN Razor that I'd bought in about 2002, replaced it with the Evo in 2012. Literally the first shot I played with it went for six. As I hit it I was certain it was a lolly to mid-off, but it just kept going up and carried 15 metres over the boundary.

Likewise the bloke I used to open up with traded up from a V500 he'd bought in the early 00s to a GM Icon in the same season. This guy never used to hit sixes, suddenly you had to park your car further from the ground or have a panelbeater on retainer. It was ridiculous.

I got a new V600 earlier last year. It's kind of halfway between the modern profile and the old V600, still has a very low middle which I like. Looking forward to using it, I hit a reasonable number of sixes with the old girl so I'm keen to see if the new bat does make a difference but I just CBF knocking the bastard in haha

Latest posts