What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Development

coolumsharkie

Referee
http://www.theleader.com.au/story/4248794/final-plans-for-woolooware-bay-town-centre/?cs=1255

How the eastern side of 'Shark Park' will look under final plans for Woolooware Bay Town Centre
Murray Trembath
22 Feb 2017, 2:38 p.m.
r0_0_5500_3092_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Computer generated image of stage four of the Woolooware Bay Town Centre. Picture: supplied

This is how the leagues club side of the Cronulla Sharks development will look under final plans that have been submitted for approval.

Stage four of Woolooware Bay Town Centre includes a new retail centre, hotel / serviced apartments, an upgraded leagues club with a large, north-facing terrace and three apartment blocks from 11 to 16 storeys.

r0_417_4368_2882_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Computer generated image of the hotel (left) and apartments facing Captain Cook Drive. Picture: supplied

The plans also include a Sharks Centre of Excellence adjoining the western grandstand of the football stadium.

Capital Bluestone, the Sharks’ development partner, said other features of the “enhanced” centre included the shire’s first bike share scheme, free room hire for community groups and an environmental education program.

Full details will be made available when the plans are placed on public exhibition next week.

r0_11_807_467_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Indicative photomontage looking north along Woolooware Road. Picture: supplied

The plans need to be approved by the Planning Assessment Commission.

Capital Bluestone said in a statement, since announcing in late 2014 proposed changes to the approved concept plan, the company had been “gathering input from the community, council and the state government on the best way to refine the original vision for a true town centre”.

“The recently submitted proposal includes a mix of elements including apartments above the already-approved shopping centre, a hotel and regional sports accommodation and a Sharks Sports Centre of Excellence,” the statement said.

“Capital Bluestone and Sharks will host a two-hour, drop-in information session for local residents to familiarise themselves with the plans and ask questions.”

The session will be held in the auditorium at the leagues club between 5.30pm and 7.30pm on Monday, March 6.

Those interested in attending are asked to RSVP by emailing: events@straighttalk.com.au or calling 9797 8004 by Friday, March 3.

Capital Bluestone Managing Director Ben Fairfax said it had always been the intention to build a true town centre.

This would create more jobs, more places for friends and family to connect, opportunities for traineeships and mentoring programs, investment opportunities and more support for community groups.

“These plans have been several years in the making, and reflect the significant input from many individuals and groups,” he said.

Community initiatives include:

• A 220-square-metre community room to be offered free of charge to a range of community groups. It will be “technology enabled” and fitted out with a kitchenette, bathroom, moveable walls to create flexible spaces, and secure storage to allow multiple groups to share.
  • A bike share scheme, “with banks of bikes and helmets across a range of destinations in the shire”.
  • A proposed partnership with a not-for-profit environmental group “to transform the foreshore and mangroves into a living, outdoor classroom with learning nodes and educational signage”. This would include community learning days over a three-year period to help connect school children to the environment and encourage volunteer involvement in regeneration programs.
Cronulla Sharks Group chief executive Lyall Gorman said the club had a long tradition of supporting the local area.

“It’s important to us that we extend this spirit and our vital role in our community into the development plans for Woolooware Bay so that this precinct reflects our culture and values and continues our commitment to making a real difference and contribution across our wonderful region,” he said.

coolumsharkie

Referee
I'm off to a school reunion at the end of march and there is nothing for $100 a night type accom. Hopefully those apartments are average prices that one wants to pay for just a bed to crash in when you finish doing whatever you're doing but with a little bit of comfort you would expect anywhere in the world for the normal traveller.

If they do that they will kick arse with the hotel side of things, because there is either 400+ a night at Cronulla or cheap Motels that are few and far between.

Arnold

Juniors
Not sure the Sharks get anything from the hotels.

I'm not that impressed with the stadium part of the eastern side. An upgrade to the ground really should go hand in hand with the surrounds. Looks unlikely.

Not sure the Sharks get anything from the hotels.

I'm not that impressed with the stadium part of the eastern side. An upgrade to the ground really should go hand in hand with the surrounds. Looks unlikely.

We will be applying for govt funding for centre of excellence (included ET stand extension)

as to the east side...what do you think we could realistically do, given the current structure in place ?

Arnold

Juniors
We will be applying for govt funding for centre of excellence (included ET stand extension)

as to the east side...what do you think we could realistically do, given the current structure in place ?
I would have liked to see the south eastern side wrap around and connect to the southern stand atleast. But oh well future looks good

Card Shark

Immortal
The government is under no obligation to give a cent...why would they?

Still can't believe they gave us 10 mill for the southern stand.

Ads

First Grade
More seats plus an A League team in the summer and the place is firing. Looks great.

I would have liked to see the south eastern side wrap around and connect to the southern stand atleast. But oh well future looks good

well.
in the "future nrl stadiums" thread on the NRL page newman goes into detail as to stuff he has spoken with Lyall about including wrapping concourse around the south and also moving the field closer to the southern stand .

Journey Man

Juniors
So basically half the PB Stand will have an obstructed view?

I'm pro-development but I'm not at all happy with the removal of the grass hills and the obstruction of the view from the PB seats. The grassed areas should be developed into grandstands.

shaggs

Coach
So basically half the PB Stand will have an obstructed view?

I'm pro-development but I'm not at all happy with the removal of the grass hills and the obstruction of the view from the PB seats. The grassed areas should be developed into grandstands.
Which parts will have an obstructed view??

Looks fine to me. I'm sure the design will be to increase the viewing experience.

Journey Man

Juniors
Which parts will have an obstructed view??

Looks fine to me. I'm sure the design will be to increase the viewing experience.
The rear seats in the south-east corner don't look like they'll have a very good view of the southern in-goal.

They'll be looking at a brick wall.

This concept is meant to show the general outline of the buildings. If they plan on extending the leagues club/ retail as shown people won't be able to see. You can bet they are counting on that area floor area for the leagues/retail. Otherwise they wouldn't have encroached into the stadium grounds.

Eion

First Grade
The rear seats in the south-east corner don't look like they'll have a very good view of the southern in-goal.

This concept is meant to show the general outline of the buildings. If they plan on extending the leagues club/ retail as shown people won't be able to see. You can bet they are counting on that area floor area for the leagues/retail. Otherwise they wouldn't have encroached into the stadium grounds.
I dunno mate. It looks to me like the building is not square, with the angle allowing full view. But impossible to tell for sure on that.

Card Shark

Immortal

They can see the field but I doubt they can see the scoreboard.

Card Shark

Immortal
I'm under the impression that we have a stake all the retail side including the hotels. Anyone know for sure?

Yes, the rental from the retail was always to our benefit, was my recollection. $1 million a year was the figure originally mentioned.

It's changed a lot since then, so it can only mean more rent.