What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The elephant.. errr.. bird in the room

I don't know intimately why Ricky was dropped over Beale, but there being two players vying for the one position at left centre had a hell of a lot to do with it. Bird doesn't have someone bashing the door down to take his spot. Are you really suggesting that Bird gets preferential treatment because he is hyped in the media and the coaching staff are reacting to that?

So to follow your analogy. You are pulling all of your money out of a stock based purely on emotion, even when the guys with the insider trader knowledge are sticking solid? That's some smart investing dude.

This is boring. You want him dropped. Good luck to you. It shouldn't happen and it won't happen so I'll leave you to have the last word.

Frenzy.

Immortal
That's what makes me think he would be a good replacement for Ennis, strong defence good passing and kicking game and has a bit of speed in him

He made seven 1on 1s as well vs Roosters.

He actually makes shyteloads of 1 on 1s. 44 for the year

I bet he's way ahead with that stat for the Sharks

Millers is bang on here. The most laughable thing about most armchair coaches is that they seem to think that the only option to arrest a sliding player is to give them a rocket and or drop them. In reality these two options are last chance saloon type deals and coaches only use them as such. Dropping players or tearing them a new one can have a million unforseen and mostly negative flow on outcomes. There are a million other options, mostly by using positive coercion tactics, that are proven to be more successful.

As a coach you only get so much capital out of players. If they don't genuinely buy into what you are trying to build over the whole squad you are shot. The best way to f**k this capital up is to be an emotional nitwit who burns players by dropping them or roasting them because you can't control your emotions. The leadership of high performance teams is possibly one of the most difficult skills for anyone to possess and it's why the truly great guys like Steve Jobs, Alex Ferguson and Richard Branson get the big money. It's more art than science, and the whole "well this guy isn't doing what I want him to do right now so lets piss him off" is reductive and braindead.

There is of course a place for dropping underperforming players. This isn't it.

looked like bellamy was ripping his side a new one after the broncos game on the weekend to me

fair bit of saliva being chucked around

everyone has their style i guess

shaggs

Coach
Bird has an upside and obviously the coach believes he can be better. Leutele has been a first grader for years and has peaked in the eyes of the coach.
This is obviously in response to your bird vs leutele question. Id like to see the nrl games stat between the two and the number of years in nrl squads.

For the record leutele has been better since he was "dropped", and Beale was much better on Saturday night.

Snoop Shark

First Grade
I really liked seeing Beale and Val on the same side of the field. I also thought Feki and Loots combined well in attack(useless in defence though)

Wrong about what?

That bird won't be dropped
Of course he won't

Despite you and frenzy declaring your mutual degree of high regard for each other and agreeing that bird be dropped or whatever bird brain fart it is you are waffling with is, you are not coaches
An entire year has been invested into the development of the right side with a large amount of success in attack and it isn't going to be dismantled on the eve of the finals with one win away from the minor premiership.
The coaching staff who have access to all the data and all the plans and all permutations of the squad have settled for an entire very successful year on this squad. Perhaps you would do better as a coach with your weekly emotional droppings but the fact remains despite your belief in your own abilities you have not received an offer from the club to be appointed head coach.
You are an armchair coach, like me and frenzy and in this regard you are quite wrong.
I could imagine a proper coach examining your musings with some amusement but I doubt breaking up the most successful backline the club has had in years will enter their calculations.
Yes bird has issues as do all players but the last month of poor form has clearly been a result of the forwards being dominated.
This is not rocket science and widely recognised.

hot air

this is what menopause sounds like

you should have that checked out

I don't know intimately why Ricky was dropped over Beale, but there being two players vying for the one position at left centre had a hell of a lot to do with it. Bird doesn't have someone bashing the door down to take his spot. Are you really suggesting that Bird gets preferential treatment because he is hyped in the media and the coaching staff are reacting to that?

So to follow your analogy. You are pulling all of your money out of a stock based purely on emotion, even when the guys with the insider trader knowledge are sticking solid? That's some smart investing dude.

This is boring. You want him dropped. Good luck to you. It shouldn't happen and it won't happen so I'll leave you to have the last word.

its not about having the last word

there is clear evidence that he is struggling, what ever HAS been the focus at training, IS not working

what's the plan then, in your opinion?

im asking you the question, because you know better of course

looked like bellamy was ripping his side a new one after the broncos game on the weekend to me

fair bit of saliva being chucked around

everyone has their style i guess

Yes he blew up at the group but will he drop Cronk who hasn't been at his best?
You also think he is like that all the time? There is clearly another side to the man and he is a superb leader and team manager and has tremendous personal relationships with his players. It's the same with Bennett. Everyone sees the crank in the media but his players LOVE him.

its not about having the last word

there is clear evidence that he is struggling, what ever HAS been the focus at training, IS not working

what's the plan then, in your opinion?

im asking you the question, because you know better of course

He will be performance managed. I can't see a situation where him not being in the 13 is better for the team.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Don't use stats to make a point.

Bird has an upside and obviously the coach believes he can be better. Leutele has been a first grader for years and has peaked in the eyes of the coach.
This is obviously in response to your bird vs leutele question. Id like to see the nrl games stat between the two and the number of years in nrl squads.

For the record leutele has been better since he was "dropped", and Beale was much better on Saturday night.

LOLOL