What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The foul stench that is Channel 9

Red Bear

Referee
Ilike Sterlo's commentry, and some others but it gets annoying sometimes. I wish Roy and HG were on TV each weekend, they are great! Best commentry team are the ABC grandstand.

Parra_Eels

Bench
we need AT LEAST three games on fta a week. obviously fnf, sunday and saturday arvo - thats at least. i reckon seven would give it a good go now that half of channel 9 is now over there

Hoggy

Bench
In Victoria because the British Open went overtime they edited about 25 minutes out of the Newcastle vs Brisbane game. Including a 20 minute period between the first try by Newton, till the Broncos try.

Front-Rower

First Grade
I don't mind having no Saturday afternoon football actually. It gives people time to do things on Saturday afternoon like playing footy or shopping with the missus :cry:

However some here say channel 9 can show the Sunday afternoon game live but doesn't the TV contract contain the clause that Fox Sports have the right to broadcast live on Sunday Only?

Friday Night Football should be live in my opinion. Who cares about some one elses backyard ;-)

QldRabbit said:
Sunday again same old crap except were forced to look at Gould and his opions according to Gould.

I hate to rain on your -- judging by your spelling -- very drunken parade, but I think Phil Gould is paid to give his opinion. Do you really think Phil Gould is going to give, say, Wayne Bennett's opinion instead of his own?

Seriously, you people are quite mad.

iggy plop

First Grade
The ideal FTA situation is,

7.30pm live FridayNightFooty

8.30pm delay Sat night footy (the two other sat night games on Fox live - 5.30pm, 7.30pm)

4pm-6pm Sunday footy.

Plus, Monday night league show dicussing issues/reviewing weekend games 10.30-11.30pm (a relaxed on the couch scenario)

Thursday and Sunday footy shows.

I'd be happy with that. Get rid of club yawnion on the ABC and replace it with the best Premier League game for the weekend.

Perfect.

PantherCraig

Juniors
This is exactly what Gallop was talking about the other night on NRL - State of the game which was on Fox. When the next TV contract is due. 9 are in for the shock of their life because the NRL has also had enough of their antics.

sunny

The whole idea is for people to get pay TV, hence there being 5 exclusive pay TV games per week and only 2 on nine.

LOL@ Renowned League Expert, well said mate!

0neye

yep pay to see thats what super league was all about,but no live game on friday night sucks the most :x

hop

Juniors
Don't take sides, they all are nevilles. Except for Matty.

Ch 9 and our TV and radio rights are a schmozel, the most damaging issue facing our game.

We need Saturday NRL. We need LIVE games. We need national coverage. Origins, finals and tests need immediate starts nationally, no questions. Melbourne need to see the Storm like Brisbane see the Lions and Broncos every week. Cowboys should be shown on WIN, even if it is a delayed telecast after a LIVE one on FOX SPORTS.

The FOOTY SHOW needs to be shut down and overhauled. It has turned into some sort of mutated HEY HEY ITS SATURDAY crossbred load of crap. They never talk football. And don't tell me the Thursday show is for entertainment and Sunday is for football. The AFL manage to have a show that is both entertaining and informative (if you consider AFL a sport). Get rid of Fatty is he is a lame duck, am unconvincing rip off of Benny Hill. They need to focus more on other states other than NSW and other competitions like the QLD CUP and international RL. I want to see a British Super League wrap and highlights from other events overseas. We need some real QLDers on the panel, Fatty doesn't count.

We need to get rid of 2GB and offer non exclusive rights

good calls diehard..

a question though... do you guys reckon that channel 7 and 10 would broadcast league the same way as it foes AFL... or is the only reason AFL's coverage is better because of AFL management?

cheers

ngunity

Juniors
I've got a bunch of disagreements from what an assortment of people have said; although I've agreed with a lot, here's what I disagree with:

Regarding Ch 7: They SUCK at broadcasting the Olympics for mine, I don't want them to touch any sport let alone the one I really care about

Regarding Sterlo: I don't mind him too much, I could dig him and Vossy doing all the analysis, I can't see where the hate is coming from for him

Regarding Roy &HG: I'd be SPEWING if they did all the commentary I don't want to hear witicisms, nicknames, and BS when I watch league. I want to hear commentary, and stats just like the cricket commentary team would do.

Re: Matt Johns: I like his little interviews and comments but don't want to see much more of him during games or real analysis. They can do whatever with the Thursday night league show; I don't watch it anyway 'cause it's nothing to do with Rugby League :roll:

Here's points I want to run with:
* Give us a serious league analysis show like Ch 9 sunday footy show is to some degree, but give it to us at night, during the week.

* give back Saturday league on ABC (I'll tape it and watch it when the girl falls asleep ;-) )

ngunity

Juniors
oh yeah, I wanted to add that I also disagreed with the idea of putting on live League Test matches in other states/ countries

Test League is still a little too embarrassing to try to market to the world. Give 'em State Of Origin instead, that's what League is all about for mine

Grantwhy

Juniors
iggy plop said:

8.30pm delay Sat night footy (the two other sat night games on Fox live - 5.30pm, 7.30pm)

4pm-6pm Sunday footy.

Plus, Monday night league show dicussing issues/reviewing weekend games 10.30-11.30pm (a relaxed on the couch scenario)

I'd be happy with that. Get rid of club yawnion on the ABC and put on the best Premier League game for the weekend on instead.

Perfect.

The ABC wanted to. They asked the NSWRL same time as they asked the QRL.

QRL said yes = in Queensland there is live coverage of a Queensland Cup game each weekend (2.00 pm Saturday).

NSWRL said no = NSW gets a Union game each weekend.

:?

iggy plop

First Grade
Grantwhy said:
iggy plop said:

4pm-6pm Sunday footy.

I'd be happy with that. Get rid of club yawnion on the ABC and put on the best Premier League game for the weekend on instead.

Perfect.

The ABC wanted to. They asked the NSWRL same time as they asked the QRL.

QRL said yes = in Queensland there is live coverage of a Queensland Cup game each weekend (2.00 pm Saturday).

NSWRL said no = NSW gets a Union game each weekend.

:?

Why did the NSWRL say no? What is going on with the people running rugby league? :?

Grantwhy

Juniors
From what I remember, they wanted to be paid for the rights.

The QRL on the other hand, saw the benefits of having their product being broadcast statewide - live.

I do remember someone posting (here or on rleague.com) that Ch.Nein currently hold the broadcast rights for the Premier League.

Bengal

Juniors
Speaking of Channel Nine, I hope they get rid of that annoying skycam.

I can do without that unrealistic, 'playstation' like look it generates.

Latest posts