What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Future of Rugby League

Brutus

Referee
That's because they have all their areas covered you spastic! Can you point out where there is an population of 1 million AFL loving Victorians without a team?

Obviously, giving the Central Coast a team DOES NOT HELP you beloved AFL.

CC is already a rugby league area, with people already attached to their NRL teams.

They also get about 7-8 NRL games a year.

If you really want a CC team to support Lousy, then cheer for the Mariners.

Your bias towards the bears, which I have no issue with as you support them, will always skew your perception of the support for other bids - regardless of whether you live in Mosman, Gosford, Wally Lewis' granny flat or Timbuktu.

I am maybe biased towards the Bears but my family, friends and acquaintances from SEQLD aren't and they share my feelings towards the lackluster SEQLD bids. It's obviously just not me but a fair contigent of local residents who share my sentiments. Not everyone, I've met pro Brisbane expansion supporters sure but none think that the current bids are worthwhile.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I am maybe biased towards the Bears but my family, friends and acquaintances from SEQLD aren't and they share my feelings towards the lackluster SEQLD bids. It's obviously just not me but a fair contigent of local residents who share my sentiments. Not everyone, I've met pro Brisbane expansion supporters sure but none think that the current bids are worthwhile.

Fair dues. I don't know anyone who supports the bombers bid. A second brisbane team maybe but not the bombers.

docbrown

Coach
Big 5 = Nonsense.

That's your opinion.

adamkungl said:
This again :lol:

I didn't invent the concept of amalgamations. They've been talking about this since the early 80s.

Watch the video and just be glad your team isn't the EASTERN SUBURBS RABBITOHS already as was mentioned. Half the fans would hate the other half.

rednblack

Juniors
CC is already a rugby league area, with people already attached to their NRL teams.

- And you're saying that Brisbane is not already a rugby league area, where people don't already have an attachment to any existing team? Get your hand off it! This is the case in every heartland area.

- Wrong. There were 3 NRL matches at Gosford in 2011, and (from memory) 4 NRL matches in 2010. You're exaggerating by more than double! And if memory serves me correctly, one of the three games last year was announced with less than a fortnight's notice (cant remember exactly, I was away). Yet another argument for fixed scheduling, but that's for another thread.

- CC residents have put their full weight behind the mariners, and hold them as our own, precisely because THERE IS NO ALTERNATIVE! I can guarantee you that if there was an NRL team on the Central Coast, a hell of a lot of residents would support both, simply because they are the local side. I personally know dozens of locals who have become mariners fans, but don't even understand the rules of soccer - they just want a local team, and if an NRL team were to call the Central Coast home, they would be supported. As you stated yourself, we are a rugby league heartland - people here love their sport generally, and their league specifically.

Beowulf

Juniors

A lot of adults sure support other teams, as they do in all RL regions, but the market research conducted by Coffee Ltd indicate the vast majority will support the Bears. The big plus is the kids on the Coast are mad keen for the Bears as thats been our target market all along - they have no hangups or past-prejudices - they are our future.

They only get around 3 NRL games/year, and you seem to have forgotten the other main plank of the bid -reconnecting with the Bears fans in northern Sydney. They AREN"T league fans at present - no Bear, no care. Its all Swans and Waratahs here until the Bears are back - hence we represent true expansion. We tick all the boxes asked by the NRL - fantastic isn't it?

bobmar28

Bench
That's because they have all their areas covered you spastic! Can you point out where there is an population of 1 million AFL loving Victorians without a team?

Obviously, giving the Central Coast a team DOES NOT HELP you beloved AFL.

Last week you called me AFL paranoid....now it's "my beloved AFL"?

Why don't we just push the NSW/QLD state border to just above the Manly peninsula , that way Central Coast & Newcastle become QLD sides and everyone who wants dots on maps can STFU?

Loudstrat

Coach
So I can quote you against any expansion into areas unless no one has heard of the NRL? Let me know when the Singapore bid gets happening, ok?

2002 4, 2003 0, 2004 4, 2005 3, 2006 1, 2007 5, 2008 4, 2009 5, 2010 5, 2011 3.
:lol: Try again you stupid knuckle dragger :lol:

Proves you are against growing RL. "Go and support soccer". genius.

Last week you called me AFL paranoid....now it's "my beloved AFL"?
Its a complex relationship you have with your beloved AFL, not sure whether it is paranoia, worship or simply sexual attraction.

Red and Black Bear - the border movement already happened. The poor old Inglis family thought they were in NSW until the Queensland Geographical Board advised them!

adamkungl

Immortal
There are Wests Tigers fans. There are St George Illawarra fans.

A Roosters-Rabbitohs team would be in the Northern Eagles ball park I'd say. It wouldn't last.

That was my point. Those teams didn't hate each other. Easts and souffs have hated each other for a good century or so...it would tear itself apart by infighting almost instantly, or be a complete takeover by one side.

Springs

First Grade
If the Bears get in it will please all current supporters (it's the best supported bid right?), any potential new supporters of the 1 million on the CC/North Sydney and any traditionalists who believe the Bears were hard done by.

A new Brisbane team will only please those who believe we need another Brisbane team. But I don't think the support or the fans are there, least not behind the current bids. Central QLD seems to be the only one with the support and a good enough brand.

If the Brisbane2 gets in and the Bears don't it will upset a lot of bears fans/supporters/traditional fans. If Brisbane2 don't get in I doubt many Queenslanders will be upset.

Spitty

Juniors
If Brisbane2 don't get in I doubt many Queenslanders will be upset.

I don't think QLDers would complain specifically about Brisbane 2 not getting in, but you can bet your bottom $ that most of them and especially those in power, will kick up a massive stink if a NSW team gets in over a QLD team.

Forget about the details of which bid is better, there will be massive hostility. I can see it now:

"The IC's just an extension of the NSWRL. They may as well change their name."

"NSW get another pathway for there juniors to come through, meanwhile QLD juniors have just 3 NRL clubs to choose from, which is forcing young men to move interstate away from there families or just drop out of the game all together."

And so on and so on.....

Perth Red

Post Whore
A new Brisbane team will only please those who believe we need another Brisbane team. But I don't think the support or the fans are there, least not behind the current bids. Central QLD seems to be the only one with the support and a good enough brand.

Bit hard to judge as neither Q'land bid has yet set about engaging with their communities and generating a fanbase. It was clear the Bears were told that they should this, The Reds were told they need to sort out the jnr structures and player development in WA before a bid would be entertained, who knows what the Q'land bids have been told to concentrate on?

CQ has not put out a paid membership so hard to say exactly what support they have, its easy to tick LIKE on Facebook.

There doesn't seem to be a groundswell of support for another Brisbane side at the moment but TBF if you took away the passion of NS fans and those of us in the West who are just desperate to see live NRL then I wonder if it would be much different at this stage?

Springs

First Grade
I don't think QLDers would complain specifically about Brisbane 2 not getting in, but you can bet your bottom $ that most of them and especially those in power, will kick up a massive stink if a NSW team gets in over a QLD team.

That's just dumb. If they want another QLD team then start supporting the bids. Central QLD is the only one with support and it has the least population and potential fans. And they could also start supporting their other clubs, North Queensland and Gold Coasts support has diminished the last few years. And with all the praise about Brisbanes crowds well they are the only team in a capital city which many people now say is the 'home' of rugby league. They should be averaging over 40,000 if not selling it out every week, especially considering we 'need' another team playing out of Suncorp.

I think it should come down to whichever bid has themost support. If no QLD bid has as much support as the Bears from the administration and the fans then they don't deserve to be in.

And if they are worried about juniors give QLD juniors more of an opportunity in their existing sides. How many NSWelshman are in Gold Coasts side?

adamkungl

Immortal
There doesn't seem to be a groundswell of support for another Brisbane side at the moment but TBF if you took away the passion of NS fans and those of us in the West who are just desperate to see live NRL then I wonder if it would be much different at this stage?

If you took away the passion of the fans no one would bother watching sport

Springs

First Grade
Bit hard to judge as neither Q'land bid has yet set about engaging with their communities and generating a fanbase. It was clear the Bears were told that they should this, The Reds were told they need to sort out the jnr structures and player development in WA before a bid would be entertained, who knows what the Q'land bids have been told to concentrate on?

CQ has not put out a paid membership so hard to say exactly what support they have, its easy to tick LIKE on Facebook.

You can't judge on that. If no one had passion there wouldn't be any bids. There wouldn't be an NRL.

Loudstrat

Coach
I'm starting to warm to the CQ bid, simply because it is a fair dinkum bid, not just a series of press releases with no substance. The CQ bid recently yacked about strong corporate support from Queensland Rail and others in the CQ mining fraternity. Clearly they have covered all bases. No one in Brisbane are anywhere near that.

The problem is this. If that bid gets up, is there still a ton of whingers about Brisbane?

As it stands, the Bears bid is leading by the length of the straight. Perth is second, daylight to CQ. Any Brisbane bid is yet to get it's shoes on.

docbrown

Coach
That was my point. Those teams didn't hate each other. Easts and souffs have hated each other for a good century or so...it would tear itself apart by infighting almost instantly, or be a complete takeover by one side.

I don't recommend merging rivals. It's not true that they wouldn't have fans though. Sure - they'd have less fans but even Northern Eagles jagged 9000 odd in their last turmoil filled year so I'm not quite sure what your point is.

Interestingly on a side note - in their first year the Northern Eagles averaged 15,610 for their 7 games at Gosford and only 9,996 for the 6 games at Brookvale.

Year 2 it was 11,566 for 7 games at Gosford and 6 games with 8,692 at Brookvale.

Final year it was 10,270 for 9 games at Brookvale and the 4 games at Gosford pulled 7,528.

What's curious is that the brand new Gosford part of the club was outperforming the established Manly part in their first two years. From memory though it only took about six months into the first year before the trouble started.