What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The greatest game totally dominated by union internationally

Stallion

First Grade
I think the biggest difference is Afl markets itself as another option for the other kids at school. At school level it seems it’s either rugby or league (interchangeable) and Afl as another option for the left over kids at school. That’s the problem. Not sure of the answer but whether it’s only touch or tag at school (point of difference) and tackle at club level?

I notice that leaguetag is unknown by any students at most primary schools I teach at! If the development people were fair dinkum they would have approached the PSSA to register this sport. However I'm pretty sure nothing has been done? I keep mentioning Leaguetag and not one kid is aware it exists! Funnily enough it's going from strength to strength in adult versions of the game which has only been introduced to the Newcastle last year. Newcastle being the last country area to take Leaguetag on in formal adult competition NSW .

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
I think the biggest difference is Afl markets itself as another option for the other kids at school. At school level it seems it’s either rugby or league (interchangeable) and Afl as another option for the left over kids at school. That’s the problem. Not sure of the answer but whether it’s only touch or tag at school (point of difference) and tackle at club level?
Well.... good luck with that!

A pretty negative response. Would have thought it's a decent proactive way of increasing rugby league's presence!? In the 'too hard basket'is it? Wonder why?

BuffaloRules

Coach
A pretty negative response. Would have thought it's a decent proactive way of increasing rugby league's presence!? In the 'too hard basket'is it? Wonder why?

Just trying to be realistic..

Some of these schools in Sydney ( GPS for example which is Rugby Unions nursery) have been antagonistic towards RL for decades....It goes beyond not allowing RL to be played as a school sport, but even preventing some of their kids from playing for club teams on the weekend....

There is a lot or RL prejudice at some of these schools which would take a lot to change...

Stallion

First Grade

Just trying to be realistic..

Some of these schools in Sydney ( GPS for example which is Rugby Unions nursery) have been antagonistic towards RL for decades....It goes beyond not allowing RL to be played as a school sport, but even preventing some of their kids from playing for club teams on the weekend....

There is a lot or RL prejudice at some of these schools which would take a lot to change...

Glad you mentioned this fact! This is a significant issue for rugby league as it isolates rugby league to a certain demographic! Rugby league is good enough for all demographics!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Agree with buffalo on this one. Toffs schools hate RL and aint going to allow the game to be played regardless of any efforts by NRL. Pointless trying to change that. Much better the NRL puts its efforts and money into getting touch footy into the jnr schools as the start point, then stronger high school scholarship programs then target Uni's to reach the toffs. Full contact should be the space for grass roots clubs, pokies fund that anyways in many areas and the NRL should be better supporting areas without leagues club backing to support development and resources of Jnr and amateur clubs.

On the plus side, by all accounts, the number of Jnrs playing the game has increased in most age groups nationally. The troublesome teens still are an issue but lets face it from an NRL pathway point of view the very best 13-4 year olds are already being identified and put into the elite programs.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Glad you mentioned this fact! This is a significant issue for rugby league as it isolates rugby league to a certain demographic! Rugby league is good enough for all demographics!

You seem somewhat naïve re social class systems and their influence on culture and decision making!

Stallion

First Grade
Equity , fairness and sportsmanship. A discourse that should be promoted much more in general discussion. I have a thesis in mind concerning the lack of presence of rugby league in most private schooling. Ive managed to gain an external supervisor (ex lecturer of mine in another uni) however to gain a direct supervisor at my local university has been challenging. So I have this project in backburner mode for now. I also have some recent input into local rugby league (club and administration wise)which has been making major mistakes over recent decades. Hope something good eventually comes out of this too. Trying to do my bit. I note you are actively attending cup games so thats impresive as well.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade

Tag is getting big! I advised the local rl administrators to target primary schools early last year with leaguetag and a tournament was played with 75 schools participatinf a few weeks ago. Beforehand the league was targeting highschool whereby most kids have up theur mind by this stage . Mind you it woukd have been so much easier if rugby league rules(play the ball using foot , marker and kick on any tackle/tap etc) were reintroduced ti touch footy. That would have kids thinking rugby league rules and more familiar with important aspects of the code. This flows onto knowledge and appreciating subtleties of rugby keague in later years .

Stallion

First Grade
You seem somewhat naïve re social class systems and their influence on culture and decision making!

Absolutely not. I know of plenty of young men and women that have said that they were disappointed at rugby league not being available at such private schools. If other codes can gain presence so can rugby league. It's a bit like rugby league not being recognised as a sport by the GSAIF. This sort of exclusion are the seeds of rugby league's struggles in the big picture.

Last edited:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Friends in high places isn't really a thing for Union anymore. People in high places don't give a f**k about sport anymore as there's usually never any return on investment.

What Union has long held is positions of persuasion, generally in the media and amongst schools. While the RL media sits there shitting on it's own game, RU media just points at it and says to the public and schools "Do you really to be involved in that" (whether the articles by the RL guys are true or not)

This is why so many RL Fans have so much hatred towards certain media outlets. It keeps Union relevant enough that they continue to survive, despite being a shit product riddled with greedy administrators.

RU doesn't have good local administrators either. They just have good PR. The only thing they have better than RL is a well funded and genuinely powerful International governing body, that does rule the game everywhere.

gUt

Coach
It maybe rose coloured glasses on my part but I genuinely think RL is on an upsurge while RU seems to be stagnating (or actually dying in front of our eyes in the case of Aus.). It's an exciting time to be an RL fan and by the time my boy is old enough to care about the comp and wanting to kick a ball around with me it could be anything.

Latest posts