What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The grub of a human doesnt even bother trying to hide it.

carcharias

Immortal
I actually like it that they've found a loop hole and are exploiting it.
Problem for the NRL is that if they dont contest it whose to stop everyone doing it. Do they determine who can and who cant?
If Gal and Lewy were to do this next year you'd have to find an opposing club with a player, or players, in the same position. What are the options?

OT
I saw you singin and dancing to Neil Murray playing black fella white fella.
On YouTube.

Hard to believe George has been gone ten years already.

Inferno

Coach
I actually like it that they've found a loop hole and are exploiting it.
Problem for the NRL is that if they dont contest it whose to stop everyone doing it. Do they determine who can and who cant?
If Gal and Lewy were to do this next year you'd have to find an opposing club with a player, or players, in the same position. What are the options?

How is it a loophole?

They're getting paid for playing football for their respective clubs. How is that not included in the salary cap?

Meanwhile I'd feel pretty filthy if I was a teammate on minimum wage being forced to play a game that means nothing and lines the pocket of two of the highest paid players in the game. It's a f**king ridiculous precedent.

How is it a loophole?

They're getting paid for playing football for their respective clubs. How is that not included in the salary cap?

Meanwhile I'd feel pretty filthy if I was a teammate on minimum wage being forced to play a game that means nothing and lines the pocket of two of the highest paid players in the game. It's a f**king ridiculous precedent.
I'd say its a loophole, but I'm only speculating here, as there is maybe no mention of testimonial revenue in an NRL contract.

OT
I saw you singin and dancing to Neil Murray playing black fella white fella.
On YouTube.

Hard to believe George has been gone ten years already.
Haha at the Bowlo.
25 years after being on vid with them singing Fitzroy Crossing in Broome, on national tv
George was pretty magical

carcharias

Immortal
Haha at the Bowlo.
25 years after being on vid with them singing Fitzroy Crossing in Broome, on national tv
George was pretty magical
They should make a movie about Neil murrays life.
He took those fellas to Paris
Imagine it.

That song is one of the greatest feel good songs ever written.

It was George that added the line yells fella anyway fella
That totally changed the the entire message.
He was one of a kind
Ever listen to his bird wave stuff
Sounds like full blown Rasta dub reggae

I hadn't seen this story. It seems there are rules in place for testimonial matches, just that no-one has done it before.

MELBOURNE Storm and the North Queensland Cowboys have found a legal way to exploit next year’s salary cap by a combined $1.5 million in staging a testimonial game for Maroons legends Cameron Smith and Johnathan Thurston.

In a dangerous precedent, the NRL will allow the two clubs to play a trial match at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane in February with all gate takings, sponsorship, merchandise and potential TV rights being shared by the two superstars.

They could become the code’s first $2 million stars by collecting up to $750,000 each — which is exempt from the salary cap — on top of their $1.3 million playing contracts.

e6f131e85bc4ae96ab62a1a1ac13fcc9

The match could net Smith and Thurston up to $750,000 each.
The timing is interesting in that Smith, as president of the RLPA, is entangled in bitter negotiations with NRL powerbrokers over the collective bargaining agreement.

Melbourne Storm chief executive Dave Donaghy declined to comment when contacted by The Daily Telegraph on Thursday.

His club could the benefit again next year by putting on a similar ‘charity’ game for Billy Slater.

Under the ‘testimonial’ arrangement, the Storm could hypothetically pay the champion fullback less than his market value but offer him up to $750,000 from a one-off game.

The code’s rules allow for testimonial matches but they are rarely approved by the NRL.

e13fa7f4753e238245f700abea96724d

Cameron Smith and Johnathan Thurston are set to cash in on their NRL stardom.
Given the status of these two players the NRL felt it was appropriate.

Both clubs and the players’ managers have worked on the loophole for a number of months.

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg said Smith and Thurston deserved the chance to play in a testimonial match.

“We do not approve these matches lightly but there is no doubt these are two of the best players to play the game,” he said.

“Not only have they reached the highest level in representing their State and country but they have done it in style.

f57e4181f1a39acc519eeac979756d3e

Should the NRL allow a testimonial match?
“They are both a credit to the game and fans deserve the chance to pay respect to them.”

It also opens the door for rival clubs to escape salary cap pressure by offering other long-time champions like Paul Gallen at the Cronulla Sharks a money-making swan song.

It is interesting in that Smith has been one of the most vocal critics of the NRL in the recent pay dispute.

Here are the NRL guidelines on the matter

Minimum Criteria for NRL approval to stage a testimonial match:

1. The player must have been contracted and completed 10 or more consecutive years with the club as a top 25/30 player

2. He must have played at least 250 first grade games for the club

3. Player cannot have left the NRL (e.g. Contract overseas or played another code professionally)

4. The player must already have a contract registered for the year in which the testimonial will be held. This means the club is already paying the player market value for that year

5. The testimonial can only be held as a trial game

6. There needs to be a charity component to the testimonial

7. The match will form part of the existing broadcast agreement

Further Considerations

8. Player’s standing within the game (e.g. Origin player, international player, seniority)

9. Whether the player has had off-field and integrity issues

10. Whether the player has contributed to the game outside his NRL club duties

Ha
You haven't changed a bit.
Waru the second song means "fire".
Also that vid had coloured stones dancing in the moonlight in the little credit sections
Another great band

You still see the chick?
haha no changes at all!!
I did a cover of Dancing in the Moonlight at a gig this year in Spain, they loved it.
nah that chick was moons ago

edit: Coloured Stone played on Thursday night at 107 Projects

Last edited:

Latest posts