What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The HIA rort...

Canard

Immortal
They need better marketing everyone is confused, no wonder NRL fans are not sure.

logo.png

TheDMC

Bench
The problem with the HIA thingymabob is that there are about 20 head knocks per game and if every time the player has to come off to get assessed then it completely messes up the game.

If they don't come off then accusations of rorting are thrown around (sometimes true, sometimes not).

The whole thing is becoming a mess.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
BJ Leluia was the best so far this weekend.
Went down on tackle 2 or 3 after friendly high contact (dubious anyway), killed all momentum Manly had 5m out from the Raiders line cause the ref blew time off.
Got up 2 mins later testing ankles, knees, cramps, etc..stays on the field, then goes for free HIA interchange 5 mins later.

So was he concussed at the time or not ?

I don't think it's that inconceivable that BJ's brain is located in his leg somewhere.

adamkungl

Immortal
While the process is still a work in progress and is not perfect the amount of ignorance I read on online forums regarding is simply so damn ignorance its ridiculous is is obviously not written by medical professionals or anyone with serious RL trainer experience.

To make it in the NRL there are 2 points where a player can be deemed requiring assessment.
Firstly the trainer notices an incident or behaviour that raises flags and an onfield assessment will take place and if appropriate they will be removed from the field to undergo more rigorous testing.. Contrary to popular internet and media belief these trainers are not idiots and know what they are doing.

Secondly if the DR (or someone else) notices something that could have caused impact to the head then the DR will view replays to determine if in their opinion they might require more testing to determine if they are concussed.

On field assessments aren't not perfect but they are conducted by professionals.

The Milford example is actually where this has worked properly. The Trainer checked Milford thought he was OK, the DR viewed the impact thought a test was necessary. He passed the test, the trainer wasn't wrong. no problem

There are some important facts and I mean FACTS that you need to understand. Concussion symptoms don't always present at first and may not be detected during the on field assessment. The trainers know these players they work with them everyday and know them better than an idiot watching their TV. The symptoms that the armchair experts are convinced are due to concussion are not always due to concussion. Most players do not want to come off.

I worked with a player in a senior competition and had several calls for him to be taken off for concussion. But he was never concussed, he was just dumb as and a bit crazy.

Thank you... end thread.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
They have hit their quota by fining 3 clubs already. It doesnt count if it is the Broncos or the Dogs. The Milford one was a joke as was Eastwood today.

Milford was cleared by the trainer after the tackle. The Doctor only called him off for the HIA after he had kicked the field goal. All rules were followed in that example.

myrrh ken

First Grade
While the process is still a work in progress and is not perfect the amount of ignorance I read on online forums regarding is simply so damn ignorance its ridiculous is is obviously not written by medical professionals or anyone with serious RL trainer experience.

To make it in the NRL there are 2 points where a player can be deemed requiring assessment.
Firstly the trainer notices an incident or behaviour that raises flags and an onfield assessment will take place and if appropriate they will be removed from the field to undergo more rigorous testing.. Contrary to popular internet and media belief these trainers are not idiots and know what they are doing.

Secondly if the DR (or someone else) notices something that could have caused impact to the head then the DR will view replays to determine if in their opinion they might require more testing to determine if they are concussed.

On field assessments aren't not perfect but they are conducted by professionals.

The Milford example is actually where this has worked properly. The Trainer checked Milford thought he was OK, the DR viewed the impact thought a test was necessary. He passed the test, the trainer wasn't wrong. no problem

There are some important facts and I mean FACTS that you need to understand. Concussion symptoms don't always present at first and may not be detected during the on field assessment. The trainers know these players they work with them everyday and know them better than an idiot watching their TV. The symptoms that the armchair experts are convinced are due to concussion are not always due to concussion. Most players do not want to come off.

I worked with a player in a senior competition and had several calls for him to be taken off for concussion. But he was never concussed, he was just dumb as and a bit crazy.

Trainers probably catch the majority, its the blatant minority that are missed that is the problem. Eg the Dugan, Elliott where they are prone on the ground for 10 seconds.

Who gives a crap if the player wants to stay on? If they need to come off just yank them off.

A player passing the test does not vindicate the trainer as they could have either made a correct assessment or failed to assess at all.

Chimp

Bench
As I say, players staying on isn't the big rort, players coming off for a free HIA interchange when they're clearly not concussed is the bigger rort - the coaches are using rules and processes that have been brought in to protect players wellbeing to gain extra replacements....

MacDougall

First Grade
Fairly sure the Dogs had Tolman go off HIA when he was visibly fine and come back on. Fairly sure that was Kasiano on both times. Effectively they got 4 free substitutions. Still gassed out. Hilarious cheats.

Chimp

Bench
Fairly sure the Dogs had Tolman go off HIA when he was visibly fine and come back on. Fairly sure that was Kasiano on both times. Effectively they got 4 free substitutions. Still gassed out. Hilarious cheats.
Exactly, bringing on someone like Kasiano as the HIA replacement is exactly what I mean - he only does 15 mins spells anyway, they're just getting it free now...

Knight76

Juniors
It's a mess. A forward gets a slight knock anywhere around the shoulders up and he's off for a HIA.

A back cops a whack around the head and it's, "looks like he's ok to play on!".

May as well go back to unlimited interchange.

Eelpout

Juniors
It's a mess. A forward gets a slight knock anywhere around the shoulders up and he's off for a HIA.

A back cops a whack around the head and it's, "looks like he's ok to play on!".

May as well go back to unlimited interchange.

If there is one HIA for a team they ultimately end up with 10 interchanges, so if anything the number of interchanges teams are allocated has risen over the last few years.

How do we combat this, honestly? It's not like the NRL can put a cap on the number of them given per game.

Jerkwad2000

Juniors
How do we combat this, honestly? It's not like the NRL can put a cap on the number of them given per game.

Easy - make it so, when the player comes back on, THAT interchange counts as one of the 8. They already get a free interchange when the concussed player goes off, why is it also free when they come back on?

It would be very interesting to see stats about which teams have how many HIA assessments each game.

Eelpout

Juniors
Easy - make it so, when the player comes back on, THAT interchange counts as one of the 8. They already get a free interchange when the concussed player goes off, why is it also free when they come back on?

It would be very interesting to see stats about which teams have how many HIA assessments each game.

Ah, problem solved, I never considered that.

Mate I haven't seen stats for this year but I saw an article a month or so back that had my team using the most headbins in 2016. To be honest I saw many examples of where we used it when we shouldn't have and I was waiting for scrutiny each week for it. It never come. This year on the other hand we haven't been so obvious so I guess we were notified to rein it in.

A great stat would be to see the number of backs compared to forwards that have been taken off for it. Another would be at what time of the match (heaps of Parra's 2016 HIA's come around the 20min mark).

Danish

Referee
The only way clubs will stop rorting it is if you take the system out of their control.

Independent NRL medical staff on the sideline at every game reviewing footage and monitoring the players. If a player stays down injured they go out alongside the club trainer to asses concussion, with the club trainer to make the call on all other forms of injury.

Problem solved