What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Homebrew Thread

TiggaPlease

I'm just bringing my cream ale to the boil. The cornflakes looked pretty weird in the mash before they broke down.

Looking forward to this one.

TiggaPlease

Very productive weekend.

- Brewed the Cream Ale on friday night
- Cleaned out Keezer, and soaked all kegs in sodium perc saturday arvo
- Kegged Amber Ale saturday arvo
- Kegged Equinox Pale Ale sunday arvo
- Pitched yeast on to Cream Ale and Saison sunday night.

So I tried my Blonde ale yesterday.. Has been conditioning all of 5 days (i am really impatient when trying my brews). It has a distinct banana after taste. I have read this can be due to high fermentation temps, but this brew wasnt brewed any higher than any of my earlier brews which never ended up tasting like bananas. I did pitch the yeast at like 34 degrees though, but once again, not the highest I have pitched yeast before. The yeast I was using was Mangrove Jacks M10 workhorse (I havent used this before) it says that the yeast can be used as a lager or ale and up to 30 degree fermentation.

Aside from the high pitching temp, the fermentation was at 18 degrees for 10 days and cold crashed for 5 days.

The yeast was an old yeast, because I threw out my us05 accidently during the brew.

I am hoping the banana flavour will subside over time.

My thinking is, the yeast naturally produce a banana flavour whilst fermenting. As the bottles are still conditioning and the yeast is fermenting the carb drops, they are producing this flavour, which will drop out once carbing is finished. I say this because I tasted the wort during fermentation, where there was a strong banana flavour. I tasted it after fermentation and the cold crash and there was no banana flavour.

Fingers crossed.

Yeah. This was a brew i really f**ked up a lot. But beer can be both forgiving and unforgiving. Time will tell. I have read lits of stories of people screwing their brews and they taste horrible, but a few months later turn out to be great.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
In the bottom of a cupboard. My house gets pretty hot so they would have reached 30-32 degrees easily over the last few weeks.

I have made some minor modifications to my fermentation fridge. Allows me to have my fermentor + 26 PET bottles. The rest of my brews i have put in a large esky. A daily change of a frozen 3L milk carton should keep them cool.

I did a brew today, everything went perfect. First time using my immersion chiller with a pump, was able to get the wort down to 22 degrees within about half an hour. The coolest inhave ever piched yeast is at around 30 degrees. This should have a pretty good impact on flavour.

I made a pacific ale. But changed a few things.

2kg wheat
3.2kg pale ale

5g galaxy at mash
7g galaxy at 60min
10g galaxy + whifloc at 20min
12g galaxy at 5min
25g galaxy at flame out
10g williamette at flameout (needed to sub this in as i didnt get enough galaxy)

25g galaxy dry hop
15g williamette dry hop

I mashed my robobrew for 60min with 20L of water. Still only managed around 65% effiency. I recirculated 2-3 litres every 15min. Also stirred it about 3 times during the mash. The only thing now i can think of to improve effiency is to mash for 90min. Thoughts?

A common misconception about brew efficiency is that you need to get the number up and that higher is always better. What's more important is consistency in your system. If you are hitting 65% every single time - happy days. That way you can plan around that particular number. If you are already consistent and just want to bump it up a bit the main things you should probably look at are:

* Grain coarseness after milling
* Temperature variations in the mash (ie uneven temps)
* Sparge water temp
* Agitation of the grain bed during mash

I would probably address each one at a time and record the results.

With that Pacific Ale I would increase that dry-hop amount considerably if you want to get that classic Galaxy aftertaste. It would even be worth it to buy another packet of hops and throw 40g in with the 25g you currently have planned and chuck the rest in the freezer for another brew.

TiggaPlease

Just bought ingredients for my next two brews from Steve at Hoppy Days:

Recipe: Cascadian Dark Ale
Brewer: TJ
Asst Brewer:
Style: Black IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 31.60 l
Post Boil Volume: 26.65 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 22.00 l
Bottling Volume: 20.60 l
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 53.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 66.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 80.1 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
6.00 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC) Grain 1 89.6 %
0.25 kg Carafa Special I (Weyermann) (630.4 EBC) Grain 2 3.7 %
0.25 kg Chocolate Wheat (Weyermann) (817.5 EBC) Grain 3 3.7 %
0.20 kg Gladfield Medium Crystal Malt (111.0 EBC Grain 4 3.0 %
25.00 g Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 5 39.3 IBUs
50.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool Hop 6 12.1 IBUs
50.00 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Steep/Whirl Hop 7 14.9 IBUs
2.0 pkg US West Coast Yeast (Mangrove Jack's #M4 Yeast 8 -
50.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
50.00 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
25.00 g Vic Secret [15.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

Recipe: Ale, a little bit pale
Brewer: TJ
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 31.60 l
Post Boil Volume: 26.65 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 22.00 l
Bottling Volume: 20.60 l
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 13.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 34.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 80.1 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2.50 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EB Grain 1 53.2 %
1.00 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 2 21.3 %
1.00 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 3 21.3 %
0.20 kg Gladfield Medium Crystal Malt (111.0 EBC Grain 4 4.3 %
7.50 g Hallertau Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 m Hop 5 11.8 IBUs
25.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 6 9.4 IBUs
0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 5.0 mins) Fining 7 -
50.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 8 9.4 IBUs
20.00 g Willamette [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 2 Hop 9 3.7 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 10 -
25.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

My efficiency is always around the 68-71% mark, and I'm happy with that as I can formulate recipes correctly. If your efficiency is a bit low just chuck another couple of hundred grams of base malt in to compensate for the lower OG you've been getting.

The Black IPA recipe will be the biggest beer I've made since jumping to all grain. Will be costing about $50 all up, 250gm of hops taking a huge chunk of that.

TiggaPlease

With that Pacific Ale I would increase that dry-hop amount considerably if you want to get that classic Galaxy aftertaste. It would even be worth it to buy another packet of hops and throw 40g in with the 25g you currently have planned and chuck the rest in the freezer for another brew.

+1

S&W is all about the Galaxy aroma. Go hard son!

Decided to do another brew today. Decided on a saison because i already have my pacific ale in the fermentation fridge.

Doing the summer saison recipe from AHB.

4kg pilsener
1.2kg wheat
.5kg munich I (this wasnt in the recipe but i wanted a bit more colour)

60g saaz at 45min
20g east kent golding at 15min
30g hallertau at 0min

Mangrove jacks M27 belgian ale yeast

Gonna let the fermentation just go with whatever the weather chooses.

Last edited:
Well that was a bit of a failure. 40% mash effiency this time so I added 500g of honey to boost the OG up to 1.042.

This is by far the worst I have had. I tried to do a step mash according to the recipe so thats probably why.

Last edited:

TiggaPlease

Just took a gravity sample of the saison. 1.003 after 4 days. Wow, Belle Saison is a beast of a yeast.

Also the cream ale tastes good, the corn gives it that distinct American flavour.

Just took a gravity sample of the saison. 1.003 after 4 days. Wow, Belle Saison is a beast of a yeast.

Also the cream ale tastes good, the corn gives it that distinct American flavour.

Thats pretty good. What was your OG? If it keeps going it could be infected.

TiggaPlease

OG was 1.044 I think, everything I've read about this yeast suggests it should finish at 1.001-2, it has been known to finish right on 1.000 too.

Had a taste when I took the sample, definitely not infected, just a nice ultra dry saison

Nice, hopefully mine gets down that low. I was thinking that perhaps the addition of the honey will add to the dryness. Also notice that a lot of saison recipes have honey or sugar added anyway.

TiggaPlease

Have you used the mangrove jacks yeasts much? I just got 3 packs of the m44 west coast ale to use in the black IPA and my next pale ale. Will be interesting to see how it compares to US-05 and BRY-97.

Have you used the mangrove jacks yeasts much? I just got 3 packs of the m44 west coast ale to use in the black IPA and my next pale ale. Will be interesting to see how it compares to US-05 and BRY-97.

I used them when i first started out, they never seemed to get the FG down as well as US-05. But i havent used m27 before but i read its pretty good. My LHBS doesnt have the biggest selection of yeast. I might try and source the one you have.

Im looking at havint a saison on the go most of the time in the warmer months and maybe a lager in the winter months to ferment outside my fridge. I have actually been struggling to keep my beer supply up, thats why i got the second fermentor. Now i can have one fermenting in strict temp control and one just doing its thing according to the weather.

Are there any other beer types besides a saison that are quite forgiving at high temps?

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Just dry-hopped 70g of Galaxy flowers into my salvage attempt at the Pacific Ale last night. Essentially, after I had to dump the autolysis affected brew I threw down a can of Coopers Draught extract after boiling with some BE2 and steeping in 30g of Galaxy at flame out. It's tasting pretty good and I actually had a moment after I put it in the fermenter where I thought "why am I bothering with this all-grain caper when you can get the just as good results with extract?"

The next day I fired up the Robo and did my Big Red Rye and the answer was clear. The Rye looks, smells and tastes fantastic already. Tonight I will dry-hop about 30g of Centennial pellets and I'm expecting big things from this beer.

Onward and upward with All Grain!

TiggaPlease

Just checking back in to update a couple of my brews.

The cream ale was kegged on the weekend, I forced carbed a couple of 1.25L soft drink bottles out of the fermenter too. This is the clearest beer I have ever made. The cornflakes seem to have worked well, it is very pale and refreshing.

Saison ended finishing at 1.001! Nice but quite mild ester profile, next time I use belle saison I'll try push the temp a bit higher.

I made an American Amber Ale today. Was originally going to make an Irish Red Ale, but the LHBS didnt have maris otter. I could have made one with pale malt, but i decided to go American. Hopped it with cascade and columbus.

I'm still having massive efficiency issues though. 62% efficiency from a 5kg grain bill. 60 min mash @66 and 15 min mash out @ 75.

I just cant see where I am going wrong. The only explanation i now have is the grains arent being cracked fine enough by the LHBS. My next batch I am going to get grains elsewhere and see if that changes anything. If it doesnt change it then I have no idea.

I have been chatting to a bloke on FB who uses the robobrew who gets 80% efficiency every time. He has some youtube videos, I watched them, he does it exactly how I do it. But if its the grains then I would have thought that people would have already complained about it.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Just checking back in to update a couple of my brews.

The cream ale was kegged on the weekend, I forced carbed a couple of 1.25L soft drink bottles out of the fermenter too. This is the clearest beer I have ever made. The cornflakes seem to have worked well, it is very pale and refreshing.

Sounds like a go'er. You put the ingredients up a few pages back, but were there any differences in the final recipe/process?

The can of draught with Galaxy turned out okay in the keg. Much more bitter than S&W and this mutes the Galaxy somewhat. Really missing that body that All Grain gives.

I'll be kegging the Rye beer tonight or tomorrow night after a long conditioning period at 5deg. It smells amazing and is so dark. Can't wait to try it.