What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Inaugural TFR Forum Sevens Awards Presentation

The Backpacker

Juniors
Willow said:
BP and Thierry: How about we also add 'not including pre-season matches'...?

Willow, I thought about this myself but we are eliminating alot of people who have had a fantastic first season by not including the 'friendlies' I was only recruited prior to the season but managed to get one trial game in against the Panthers I think it was. Anyway, in order to get a feel of the game I trolled through many of the trial game threads and theres alot of familiar names from those games. I think eliminating the trial games, eliminates quite a big number of posters. Maybe we exclude the Donovan cup (as this was a structured competition) but include the friendlies?

Anonymous

Juniors
I think thats what I mean.
Rookies are those who played this year but should not be penalised just because they played in a trial.
eg Thierry Henry and yourself are rookies even though you both played in the pre-season friendlies.

Are talking about the same thing? :lol:

Anonymous

Juniors
Ok I'll explain it all.

There was the 2002 season at rleague. It was a full season (there may have been pre-season games in early 2002, I'm not sure). If you played in this season (which ended with the grand-final in about September/October 2002) I assume you are ineligible for rookie of the year.

Then there were pre-season games for the second (2003) season, SOME OF WHICH WERE ACTUALLY PLAYED IN LATE 2002. I propose that, because these were pre-season games (the Donovan Cup etc) they should be considered as part of the 2003 season, therefore people who started there involvement with Forums 7s in the 2003 pre-season should be considered rookies, even if some of the games were actually in late 2002.

After this, there was 1 round of season 2003 at rleague, before all the well-documented turmoil began.

I propose that all the games up to the 2002 grand-final be considered as part of season 1/season 2002, and all of the games after the 2002 grand-final be considered as part of season 2/season 2003, even if they were actually played in late 2002.

I believe this is the only logical way to do it (as well as being the simplest), and it also reflects the intention at the time. Those pre-season games for 2003, played in late 2002, were definitely intended as trials and pre-season hit-outs for 2003.

The Backpacker

Juniors
Willow said:
Rookies are those who played this year but should not be penalised just because they played in a trial.
eg Thierry Henry and yourself are rookies even though you both played in the pre-season friendlies.

I don't actually give a rats whether I'm classed as a rookie or not. :lol: This hasn't been about winning anything to me, it's been about being involved in something I enjoy and annoying the crap out of my team mates and making them wish they hadn't recruited me. :lol: :lol: :lol: I would rather see someone like RoostarGirl put through from our team to be honest.

But, in seriousness, Willow yes, thats the thing I was talking about. TH, I would be hesitant about including the Donovan cup because it was a structured competion. The friendlies weren't - that I can remember. It was more teams organising games amongst themselves. Correct me if I'm wrong. The first game at rleague before it fell over there definately falls under the bracket of this season as it was Rd1 2003 before we had to redo the draw at ishbiz due to numbers.

I don't think this needs to be difficult. Either you competed in a proper competition format in 2002 (including the Donovan Cup which went into Jan 2003) at rleague or you didn't. Unfortunately I have no dates of any of those competitions, rounds etc because, if I did, we could publish the dates as not inclusive but as I said, most captains should be pretty sure of where their players stand.

Anonymous

Juniors
The Backpacker said:
Willow said:

I don't actually give a rats whether I'm classed as a rookie or not. :lol:
Well thats it, I'm not voting for you. ;-) :lol:

Well done... it sounds like you've got it worked out. I agree 110% with everything that's been said. :lol:

The Backpacker

Juniors
Willow said:
Well thats it, I'm not voting for you. ;-) :lol:

Well done... it sounds like you've got it worked out. I agree 110% with everything that's been said. :lol:

And I deny all knowledge of gloating in Roosters awards thread that contradicts any statements in this thread. :oops: :oops: :oops: :lol:

I've got the Sphygmomanometer out as the BP ( :lol: ) is rising. :D

So, to recap...

A Rookie is classed as a player that didn't play in the 2002 sevens competition at rleague, inclusive of the donovan cup that went into 2003. A Rookie is still a rookie if they participated in the trial games at rleague, inclusive of RD 1 and games played at ish.biz

Anonymous

Juniors
BackPacker, all I can say is that when I played my one Donovan Cup match, it certainly felt to me like I was playing in a pre-season match for 2003, not in a competition that really mattered a hell of a lot. Yes, it was a competition, but it was definitely a "pre-season" competition.

Of course, I'm biased because I want to be in contention for ROTY :) But I wouldn't want someone to get the award who knows that they're not a rookie.

Anonymous

Juniors
A Rookie is classed as a player that didn't play in the 2002 sevens competition at rleague, inclusive of the donovan cup that went into 2003. A Rookie is still a rookie if they participated in the trial games at rleague, inclusive of RD 1 and games played at ish.biz

Ok, that's beautiful, as long as it's confirmed :D

The Backpacker

Juniors
Thierry Henry said:
BackPacker, all I can say is that when I played my one Donovan Cup match, it certainly felt to me like I was playing in a pre-season match for 2003, not in a competition that really mattered a hell of a lot. Yes, it was a competition, but it was definitely a "pre-season" competition.

Of course, I'm biased because I want to be in contention for ROTY :) But I wouldn't want someone to get the award who knows that they're not a rookie.

:lol: :lol: :lol: At least you're honest TH. In relation to the Donovan Cup, I think the Sharks (?) that won the competition, feel they won a competition and gained bragging rights by winning it and some utilised it - eg. Donovan Cup winners!

Unfortunately, we can't please all the people all of the time and this appears to be one time that we're not going to.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
The Backpacker said:
In relation to the Donovan Cup, I think the Sharks (?) that won the competition, feel they won a competition

Well they did, just that it was a pre-season one. Like the equivalent to the Amco Cup or later the Panasonic Cup.

The Backpacker

Juniors
Boys and Girls - theres only a few more days to vote and nominate before these threads will be locked down. If you snooze, you lose - have your say...

The Backpacker

Juniors
other-fireworks4.gif

8-[ Looks Like I'm the first one here. Well, I guess I'd better kick off the ceremonies then.....

This season has seen it's fair share of adversity. When the sevens were canned at worl, we set off on a voyage, following our Captains to various websites, playing three rounds at ish.biz, before the site was fried. We finally found our home here at LU. A big thankyou to the owners for giving us a place to do what we enjoy - write about this great game of ours.

The season has been one of sucess, despite it's beginnings and has brought some fantastic articles, great displays of leadership by the Captains and shows of sportsmanship.

To all those involved, from the cleaners, forummers, time keepers, match starters, time keepers, draw makers, referees and management - it takes everyone of you to make this game the sucess it has been.

Anyway, without further ado, I'd like to call upon Willow to make the announcement of the award recipients for 2003.

May we have many more seasons here.

The Backpacker

Juniors
Hmmm - a slight technical glitch. Willow? Willow? He's obviously had a few beers too many and is having trouble finding his way to the front.

Willow!

ozzie

Bench
and here I am with my ugg boots - black suit and bow tie..can we have a dance or something while awaiting the pressies??

Anonymous

Juniors
Thankyou The Backpacker for putting together these awards and promising to give me a lift home afterwards.
Before I start, apologies to Russell Crowe... I didnt know you had a thing about Warriors players and I had no idea that you favoured a gammy left knee cap. :oops:

G'day forummers one and all... after drinking loads of Spumante all afternoon and raving on to the F7s sponsors about how tremendously superb they all are, I now find myself at the TFR Forums Sevens Podium to announce a few awards.

Please note that these are the first stage of the awards and are in 'certificate form'. (There will be banners for sig files and bragging rights soon).

1.) To view your certificate, click on the link.
2.) To download you certificate, right click on the link and save it to your desktop.
3.) The certificate can also be printed and framed! To do so, open it in your image program and make sure that yoir page properties / set up has the following options checked: Use full page; and center on page.

Assuming you also have the colour turned on, the certificate should then print out perfectly on your A4 paper.

Now with no more ado, I'll make the announcements...

Pass me the envelopes please.... 8)

Latest posts