What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Jacques Kallis Appreciation thread

TheParraboy

Staff member
I didn't even mention the genuine pace his bowling. Most of them over 140

140964.jpg

Hallatia

Referee
the great man to keep going into 2015
Kallis targetting 2015 World Cup
Firdose Moonda
January 9, 2012

In 16 years of international cricket, Jacques Kallis has scored centuries against all nine other Test playing nations, has been part of series wins in Australia and England and has seen numerous ODI series victories. One thing he does not have, though, is a World Cup medal and it is that missing piece that is driving him to try to continue playing international cricket until at least 2015.

"The one thing I want to try and achieve is to be part of a team that can win a World Cup. That's a goal of mine," Kallis said after South Africa's victory in the third Test against Sri Lanka, in Cape Town. Kallis has played 317 ODIs, including five World Cups. He will turn 37 this year and will be 39 by the time the next World Cup takes place, in Australia and New Zealand, in 2015.

At the start of the summer local media expressed concern about what they called Kallis' dwindling reflexes, after he was worked over by Australia's 18-year-old fast bowler Pat Cummins, who trouble Kallis with his bouncer. Kallis said he did not read the reports and was only told about it by friends. His response on the field, though, was fierce. He scored 224, his highest Test score, against Sri Lanka at Newlands, an aggressive pull shot the hallmark of his innings. He also extinguished doubts about his reflexes by taking six catches, five of which were at second slip. To cap it off, he took three wickets in Sri Lanka's second innings. It was an emphatic way to celebrate his 150th Test match and a screaming declaration of what he still has to offer South African cricket. "I couldn't have asked for it to have worked out better," Kallis said. "You dream of performances like that."

While he appeared closer to a teenager than someone entering his late 30s in Cape Town, Kallis has acknowledged that his workload needs to be managed. He did not bowl in the first innings at Newlands, after his marathon effort with the bat, because his captain Graeme Smith felt he "would not get much out of him."

Managing Kallis' bowling load could be key to prolonging his career. That could prove tricky due to the make-up of South Africa's bowling attack. With three aggressive fast bowlers and a legspinner in the side, Kallis is required to play a containing role with the ball, and if needed, to, in his words, "carry," the attack. In the shorter form of the game, he is unlikely to be used in the same capacity and less work with the ball could be vital as he targets 2015.

"I will take it year by year, month by month and game by game," he said. "No-one has the right to play in this side [without earning his place]. You've got to put in the performances for that. As long as I am enjoying it and putting in the performances, and the body holds, there's no reason for me to stop yet."

Kallis has been named in South Africa's squad for the first two ODIs against Sri Lanka, after which the selectors will decide on the group for the remaining three matches. Kallis said he hopes to play in all five fixtures although he recognises that he may be forced to pick which matches to play in the future.

"It looks like I will play all five matches. I said to Gary [Kirsten, the South Africa coach], we will have a look at it after the first two and we'll make a call from there. That will be the standard going forward. I have to be clever if I want to make it to the next World Cup."
Sauce

Hallatia

Referee
here's a nice little article about Kallis's meeting with those boys yesterday
The other side of Jacques Kallis
Firdose Moonda
January 13, 2012

As it began to drizzle over Buffalo Park in East London, Jacques Kallis stood in a circle with six blazer-clad schoolboys. At first they were reluctant to say too much, but he prompted them. “Any questions, or is everyone too shy?”

One of the boys piped up. “How much of a role does fitness play now?”

Kallis was in his element. He puffed his chest out and spoke to them in the voice of a gentle older brother. “You guys are playing three times the amount of cricket that I played, so fitness does play a role,” he said. “Gym work becomes very important to prevent injury. There’s no shortcut, you’ve got to put in the hard work and you’ll see the results. Mentally, it’s good to do that kind of stuff. It does help your other cricket skills.”

Another asked a braver question. “How did it feel getting run out in Paarl?”

Kallis shrugged. “It’s part of the game. In one-day cricket, you accept it and move on. It’s almost about trust – like with everything in life, you’ve got to trust your partner.”

And another ... “Who’s the fastest bowler you’ve faced?”

No hesitation. “Shaun Tait.”

“And the best spinner?”

“Definitely, Shane Warne.”

“And what about the best bowler?”

“Wasim Akram. He could swing the ball both ways, with the new and the old ball and he had a good bumper too.”

“We see you’ve been bowling quite quickly these days, getting up to 140…”

“Yeah, my role has changed a bit,” Kallis said. “I probably won’t bowl as much, bowl shorter spells, where try and run in and get a breakthrough. My job will vary as well, sometimes I will try and hold the game.”

“What about the chirping on the field?”

“There’s not much these days. It’s pretty quiet now, nothing much gets said. It’s sad actually, cricket’s always had it.”

“What’s your highest score at this ground?”

“Uhh … couldn’t tell you,” Kallis admitted. “But I broke the window next to the clock,” he said, pointing to the shattered glass on the far side of the ground. “And they still haven’t fixed it.”

In the 2009-10 domestic final, when Kallis still played for the Warriors, one of the sixes in his undefeated 87 crashed into the window. His highest Test score at the ground is 75 not out, which he achieved in a Test match against Bangladesh in 2002, while his highest ODI score here is 63 against Australia in 1997.

Buffalo Park is not a particularly special venue for Kallis but for the six boys surrounding him, it is. Jordan Hayes (son of Greg Hayes, who played an important role in Makhaya Ntini’s development), Nathan George (son of umpire Shaun George), David Brits, Jerome Bossr, Pumelelo Payi and Sibulele Lwana are six schoolchildren who have received scholarships from the Jacques Kallis Foundation. They will come through the structures at Border Cricket and dream of representing their province one day at this very ground.

The organisation was set up to provide monetary assistance to pupils at four schools around the country: Kallis’ alma mata Wynberg Boys, Mark Boucher’s old school Selbourne College (where the schoolboys Kallis addressed on Friday are from), Jonty Rhodes’ Maritzburg Colleague and the up country school Pretoria Boys. The Foundation was started in 2006 when Kallis had his benefit year.

“Instead of taking the money raised from the events of the year, I wanted to give something back to the game of cricket,” Kallis said.

Kallis’ ex-headmaster Keith Richardson works with the foundation to identify talented boys and pave the way for their funding. “They mainly look at the Under-13s week and try and find the most talented guys there. They find out a bit about their background and if they can afford to go to a good school.”

The Foundation presents a side of Kallis that few will ever get to see. The public image of Kallis is of a one-track minded cricketer, who exists only to score runs, take wickets and claim catches at slip, whose life is consumed by what happens on the field. But behind that façade, is a real person with a giving soul.

“It’s given me a lot of pleasure to see guys come through,” Kallis said. “The cherry on top would be if a guy came through and played for South Africa. But even if he is getting an education and its changing his life, it’s just as rewarding.”

Kallis left the boys with sober advice, before they departed for a lunch. “Stay away from all the girls,” he joked. “Cricket only, cricket and academics.”
Sauce

Hallatia

Referee
the match wasn't mentioned in international game day (perhaps because I haven't been around), but there was a one off T20I between India and South Africa and it was called the New Age Cup 4 Kallis.

93e3lt

Hallatia

Referee
Great four part interview with the great man
Part One
Part Two - he is particularly cute in this one when he talks about the world cup
Part Three- he was asked about all the SAfrican players playing for England in this one and asked about world cup again toward the end
Part Four - interesting, but I won't give anything away

TheParraboy

Staff member
Great read on the great man

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england-v-south-africa-2012/content/story/573956.html

Jacques Kallis had waited 143 Test matches and 15 years to score his first double hundred. It was thought of as the only thing he could not do. When it eventually came, against India in Centurion at the end of 2010, most expected a flood of twin tons to follow. They were not far wrong.

The second was scored just seven matches later and the third was not far off coming up on Sunday at The Oval. Had it done so, it would have been Kallis' third double in 10 Test matches.

With South Africa leading by 252, an advantage that would cushion them but could still be plumped, and the England attack meandering, there did not seem to be a reason Kallis would not get there. Unexpectedly, he was denied, left on 182. Graeme Smith made a positive declaration after consulting with Kallis, who gave his blessing that he would sacrifice an individual accolade for the team goal.

A day later, Kallis and Gary Kirsten, South Africa's coach, were tasked with the post-match media session after an emphatic win. Kallis was asked about the current South Africa bowling attack and how he ranked them compared with packs of the past.

"In terms of variations, it's right up there, as good as we've had," he said. "We've got Vernon who puts the batsmen under pressure, we've got Dale Steyn's pace and swing, we've got Morne with his bounce and we've got Immi [Imran Tahir] as a legspinner, which we haven't had for a long time, to add attacking value, so we've got a nice balance."

Kallis ended his assessment there but Kirsten interrupted him. "And then we've also got some guy who has taken 280-odd Test wickets, I can't think of his name," the coach said, nudging Kallis in jest. Kallis only smiled.

As one of the most under-appreciated players of his generation, he is used to being forgotten about when greats of the game are discussed. Occasionally a debate will spark that compares Kallis with Garfield Sobers, Ian Botham or Imran Khan and none is clear favourite for the 'greatest allrounder' tag. Even if there was a conclusion, Kallis wouldn't care to know. He maintains that comparisons over different eras are irrelevant because "we play so much cricket these days", and statistics may only mean something to him when he retires.

Had he said something like that a few years ago, he may not have been believed because he was seen as man who played for himself before others. At the 2007 World Cup in particular, Kallis did all he could to portray himself as that type of person. He single-handedly turned the speeding car of a chase against Australia in the group stages into one whose engine had stalled.

Perhaps it was performances like those that kept Kallis from earning the praise he deserved but in recent years the stodginess has smoothed. Evidence of that can be gleaned from something as simple as Kallis' strike rate. In five of the last six years, he has managed to keep it over 50 in Test cricket, having been a steady lower 40s before that. Included in that period has been his fastest century.

There is an interesting correlation between the time when Kallis started scoring quicker and his contribution to South Africa wins. Ten of his 19 hundreds scored since June 2006 have been in winning causes; before that, 11 out of 24 hundred contributed to victories. His new-found vitality in run-scoring has extended as far as earning him a recall to South Africa's T20 squad, from which he was dropped in 2010.

Along with his batting, Kallis has always made a telling but often overlooked contribution with the ball. To say he was quicker when he was younger, would be incorrect. He remains able to bowl at around 145kph, especially as his workload has been steadily decreased. While he once had to shoulder the considerable burden of being a wicket-taker, he now acts as a balancer to the other attacking options around him.

That is not to be mistaken for saying Kallis is the holding bowler. He is the multi-faceted one. At times, he is called on to give the others a break and contain, at others as the reserve armoury, to come out and strike when no-one else and usually it works. At The Oval, it was Kallis who made the crucial breakthrough late on the first day when he removed Kevin Pietersen with a bouncer - one of the few short balls South Africa bowled on a sluggish track that day.

Had England's premier batsmen survived into the next morning, the match may have played out in completely different fashion. But Kallis changed the course of that and although he does not need that to recognised as a turning point, it ended up being one of the most significant.

Ian Bell acknowledged it when he said: "Kallis on day one was important, when the ball swings he is as good as anyone in the world." James Anderson paid homage to him in the London Evening Standard, saying Kallis "gives great balance to their team as a fourth seamer and he is one of the greatest batsmen there has ever been but somehow doesn't quite get the credit for it."

That has been the story of Kallis' career for as long as it has lasted. For more than ten years, from 2000 to late 2011, he was ranked the top allrounder in Test cricket. He lost that status to Shakib Al Hasan a few months ago and shrugged it off as no big deal. Today, Kallis regained that spot.

Many will say rightfully so, after he conquered the one territory he had not been able to reach in the past. A century, an incisive showing with the ball and his usual safe hands in the slips have shown why Kallis' all-round abilities are vital to South Africa's quest to reach No.1 in England.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Cant believe we are gonna see the great man in action in Australia again very soon in 3 tests

Would this be his farewell tour, never to play test cricket in Australia again? :(

TheParraboy

Staff member
agree there twizzle, will have thousands upon thousands of fans lining up to grab a pie and watch the great man in action :cool:

Hallatia

Referee
wooo, not only did I meet the great man today, but I also got him to take the picture of he and I:ls:

in two minds whether to share it here or not. It's on my facebook