What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Joint Venture Is Broken

elbusto

Coach
Just looking at the Wests Seniors Comp and it is a disaster. Only two grades with 13 teams and then down to Under 16s.

Meanwhile 3 other Wests Clubs play in Group 6 with Firsts Seconds and Under 18 or 19s.

What a joke.

drago brelli

Bench
Why can't the Magpies have a team in the NSW Cup comp with the Campbelltown/Liverpool area sponsoring the team. Illawarra is doing this for 2012. The Illawarra team will be sponsored by local Wollongong businesses. Mostly the Illawarra Leagues Club not the Steelers.

meltiger

First Grade
Edit

No read it wrong

It's interesting that they are bitching about Balmain being broke, & the JV propping up our state cup side when in reality, this sook fest has come about because Western Suburbs also can't afford to continue funding their state cup team without JV funding ;-)

Last edited:

alien

Referee
about time we had this rally. schmucks at camp concord have been pissing on the magpies side of the joint venture & the people of macarthur for far too long.

alien

Referee
Edit

No read it wrong

It's interesting that they are bitching about Balmain being broke, & the JV propping up our state cup side when in reality, this sook fest has come about because Western Suburbs also can't afford to continue funding their state cup team without JV funding ;-)
wests ashfield and wests campbelltown could easily afford it if they wanted to

Deadly

Juniors
about time we had this rally. schmucks at camp concord have been pissing on the magpies side of the joint venture & the people of macarthur for far too long.

Wests Cambo have been pissing on the same people for a while as well. Their votes have helped aid all that you cry foul over.

super_coach

First Grade
Iam a very old Balmain man but from where I sit I think its time for one team called the WestsTigers right through the grades and that includes junior teams and Iam more than happy for the lower grades and junior grades be based out of Campbelltown because thats where the future is. If it means we see some local guys from the Balmain district jump ship so be it. To run all these different teams in these hard times is mindless

adamkungl

Immortal
From an outsider, sounds like some valid criticisms. Similar to super_coach, I would think either both clubs should have junior sides, or a combined side based out of Campbeltown, given its size and growth.

boo_boo

Juniors
It's a shame that two foundation clubs need to go through with this rubbish in order to play in the competition they helped found.
Bring back the Bluebags, Bears, Tigers (Balmain), Magpies & piss the NRL / Gallop off instead.

alien

Referee
if it was agreed when the joint venture formed that wests and balmain would stay seperate in reserve grade (nsw cup) and the juniors and wests tigers go back on that agreement then how do we know they wont go back on the agreements of having the magpie on the wests tigers sleeve etc.

franklin2323

Immortal
As an outsider looking in. In the past 2 seasons Dragons, Canberra & Storm wanted Wests to be their NSW Cup team only for the JV Board to veto it. It seems like Wests are wanted for the juniors only nothing else very poor

alien

Referee
It seems like Wests are wanted for the juniors only nothing else very poor

yep, wests tigers want the juniors from the liverpool-macarthur-southern highlands areas, but dont give enough back to those areas and the wests side of the joint venture in return.

blackandwhite

Juniors
Iam a very old Balmain man but from where I sit I think its time for one team called the WestsTigers right through the grades and that includes junior teams and Iam more than happy for the lower grades and junior grades be based out of Campbelltown because thats where the future is. If it means we see some local guys from the Balmain district jump ship so be it. To run all these different teams in these hard times is mindless

I would be happy with that as well. It obviously makes sense but do you think Wests Tigers really care about Campbelltown. They will never move from Concord.
It's easier if our kids go and play with St.George or Canterbury or Penrith they are all a lot easier to get to than the innner city.

meltiger

First Grade
wests ashfield and wests campbelltown could easily afford it if they wanted to

& yet they don't.

Why? Because an inner city Leagues club wants nothing to do with funding football in the Sth West. They may not come out and explicitly state it, but look at the historical facts.

I love how you guys always fall back on Ashfield, they have involvement in the JV because of the combination of their historical links to Western Suburbs when they played in THEIR disctrict, combined with the fact the team now trains in THEIR disctrict, and plays next door thanks to the Balmain side.

The points made -

1 - Merged JV State Cup side. Yes, the concept annoys me too, yes it's against the original JV agreement. However, the JV is not forcing Western Suburbs to participate in a State Cup merger, they are free to sit outside the JV if they so choose in that comp which they did last year. Whether they like it or not, once their juniors are signed to contracts by the JV, they are the JV's property to dictate to play wherever they like. Frankly, I like the idea of two State Cup sides and can see huge benefits in having both, regardless of what Sheens may want. (If Wests produce two quality fullbacks that we have on contract, we can play one at Balmain one at Wests once they graduate from TC - I fail to see the negative and have never got Sheens argument on this)

2 - Home games. Yes, I CAN see their point here. Is it unfair that 8 games are played in or next to the Balmain district with 4 in the Sth West? Yes. But what do we do? Deals with Homebush or the SFS are worth very very good coin to the club. If we go back to a 6/6 split between the two districts, where do Western Suburbs propose we find the lost coin from? We simply don't make enough off Campbelltown/Leichhardt games to justify throwing away the gaurenteed money that the generic venues provide.

3 - The state of the open aged comp in the Sth West. Can anyone explain what the structure of the funding arrangements for such comps are? I fail to see how the Campbelltown/Macarthur area, or the inner West for that matter are the problem of the JV. Juniors are one thing, but the open aged comp? I don't get why the NRL franchise needs worry about funding such a comp.

Although, admittedly on this, I was chatting to someone about this today, in an ideal world, 5 years down the road, such comps will be entirely funded by the IC, rather than the NRL clubs. We are not there yet, but hopefully down the road this won't be an issue.

---------

End of the day, these Balmain hating Magpie Warriors need to take a deep breath and realise the reality. Wests Tigers is the future, some things are obviously not going right, and that's fair enough, let's work on those issues (The minimal games in the region should be a priority) but suggestions such as killing the Balmain State Cup side and utilising the JV's connections to keep Wests alive in the comp as an example are counter productive, and they would get alot more sympathy from some if they would not ask for such stupidity and focussed solely on the Sth West, not the f'ing 13 year old chip on the shoulder toward Balmain.

There is an entire generation now who support this club who are WESTS TIGERS supporters, not Balmain, not Western Suburbs. Time for some to let go. (Both sides)

Latest posts