What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The lack of information on how to play Rugby League in tier 2 countries

adamkungl

Immortal
One thing that is constantly frustrating to see is RLs that have websites or FB pages but merely use them to post pictures and news articles, but don't actually tell anyone how to play the bloody game!

Let's use Ireland as an example, though this is a problem for a number of nations.

RLI have a quite busy Facebook page. From that page I know they have functioning competition with 10 teams, they play a Republic v Northern 'Origin' style game, and they have taken heritage players on tour for the WC and got articles in the local Irish media.
That's all great. Better than most!

Their website doesn't work. They have a link from the 'About' tab on their FB page that sends you to some law firm's page. Not great, but not a dealbreaker. A professional looking website is nice to have but if you're running on the smell of an oily rag, it's not a necessity in the social media age. 1 or 2 people can provide every pit of information necessary across Facebook and various social media platforms, or a free blog-style page if you want to go deeper without paying for web hosting and development.

But the big flaw is that if I am an Irish bloke or lad inspired by the World Cup and wanting to play the sport, I can't see the information anywhere, and I'm unlikely to follow it up that hard when Rugby Union exists.

It wouldn't be hard to have some stickied posts with some top-level info and then more detail in the 'about' section or elsewhere.
Want to watch Rugby League?
*Broadcast details for Super League and NRL

Interested in playing or becoming involved in Rugby League?
*List of clubs and their contact details

If there is no Rugby League club in your town and you wish to start one, please contact Rugby League Ireland for assistance!

It's so simple.
Is there something we could do as a community to improve this area? Whether it's just contacting them with obvious suggestions or actually putting together something that can be used by interested nations?

langpark

First Grade
That's really good info what you are saying and I think probably the only tier 2 nations that have anything like that at the moment would be Wales and France (maybe Canada, USA, though I've not checked thoroughly enough). I don't believe ANY Pacific nation would have that sort of info on their sites and very few tier 3 nations would, though that can be forgiven of course. Would make for a good blueprint for all nations to strive to follow.

Burns

First Grade
I'm wondering if there's a better way than "Hey i'm a random fan offering unsolicited advice" but maybe that's all there is
I hear that. Is there an alternative though? I can’t imagine a journo would, perhaps as a Forum we could?

Springs09

Juniors
I'm wondering if there's a better way than "Hey i'm a random fan offering unsolicited advice" but maybe that's all there is

I agree there should be way more information available. List of clubs + contact details, competition dates etc.

On the plus side I plan to travel to Europe in 2019 and contacted a bunch of European RL facebook pages with interest in playing. They all got back to me with detailed information about the clubs I could join, the start and length of their competition, and how to get in contact with their clubs.

Latest posts