What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The last Dragon: How Jason Nightingale endured fallout from St George Illawarra’s 2010 premiership

BringTheNoise

Juniors
JASON Nightingale is a survivor.

In fact he’s the last survivor from St George Illawarra’s 2010 premiership side.

Six years on from the club’s first and only NRL title, Nightingale is the only player from the grand final-winning team still in the Red V.

He reveals the ups and downs on that journey and what’s still to come for him and the club in an exclusive interview with foxsports.com.au.

THE FALLOUT FROM 2010 GLORY

Wayne Bennett was brought to Wollongong for a sole purpose — to win the joint venture’s first NRL premiership.

The Dragons had lost the 1999 grand final to Melbourne but had never tasted the ultimate success in a decade since the merger.

Bennett wasted no time throwing the cheque book around, bringing the likes of Darius Boyd, Neville Costigan, Michael Weyman, Jeremy Smith, and Nathan Fien to the club when he barely even had his feet under the desk in 2009.

That year the Red V won the minor premiership but were bundled out in the semi finals.

A year later they went all the way. They beat the Roosters 32-8 at ANZ Stadium to bring the premiership shield home.

But as quickly as that success came under Bennett it was gone with the master coach’s departure.

Within three years of winning the title, all but three players from the premiership-winning side had either retired or left the club.

Bennett had gone to Newcastle and taken Boyd, Costigan, Scott, and Smith with him and instantly the joint felt different.

“There’s been a lot of changes over a lot of years and it was probably as soon as Wayne left that that transition started to happen,” Nightingale said.

“As happens when you win a grand final a lot of people do move on and teams start to get disassembled pretty quickly.

“When I looked around those changerooms there were people that Wayne brought in to do a job and did a job.

“Those guys were towards the end of their careers but their experience is what gave us the confidence to do what we did.”

After Bennett left the Dragons at the end of 2011, the club would spend three seasons without finals.

They finished ninth, 14th, and 11th in the three seasons following Bennett’s departure, before breaking the drought with a qualifying final appearance last year.

THE LAST DRAGON: ‘A SOMBRE FEELING’

Ben Creagh last week confirmed he will hang up his football boots.

Creagh’s retirement means Nightingale is the last 2010 premiership player remaining at the Dragons.

Fellow winners and good mates Trent Merrin and Brett Morris are still playing but have left the club over the past two years, while Ben Hornby and Dean Young are now assistant coaches with the Red V.

Nightingale, 29, admits emotions were running high when Creagh informed him of his retirement.

“He told me a couple of days before he announced it, and we spoke about some of the good times and the memories,” Nightingale said.

“We spoke about that, Benny and I last year when Trent went to Penrith, that we were the last two remaining, and obviously after his retirement I’m the last one.

“It’s sort of a sombre feeling I suppose.

“But I’ve still got Benny Hornby and Dean Young at the club to share those great memories with, and all of that squad are still pretty close.

“Every time we run into each other those memories are there, they are cherished, and that’s the most important thing.

“Although I’m the last one remaining at the club it doesn’t mean that those memories and accomplishments aren’t still living on in every one of us.”

THE FUTURE IS NOW

Trent Merrin was a baby-faced 20-year-old when he played off the bench in the Dragons’ 2010 victory.

He was the club’s next big thing and he’s gone on to represent both NSW and Australia.

Looking around at the club’s current squad, Nightingale says there’s enough young talent to lay the platform for another premiership assault in the coming years.

There’s two in particular he’s keen to follow the development of — Euan Aitken and Taane Milne.

“Both our young centres have got big futures ahead of them,” he said.

“Very mature at a young age, especially Euan Aitken at a young age, and obviously Taane has done a great job in his first year.

“He’s only going to get better as well.

“That’s the strength of our club, we have a lot of young talent coming through and that’s where we’ll be headed in the future.”

Looking further ahead, NYC utility fullback Jai Field is receiving big raps.

Nightingale hopes the Dragons can retain the 19-year-old.

“He seems like he’s got the goods.”

LOOKING AHEAD

Nightingale will turn 30 next month.

His contract with St George Illawarra expires at the end of 2017 and he’s had no indication whether it will be renewed or not.

He’s happy with the form he’s shown throughout the 2016 season, and he will more than likely represent New Zealand at the end of year Four Nations tournament.

“I’m just hoping I can do my best to earn another contract for starters, then be part of building a squad that can be successful, not only in my career but post-my career as well,” Nightingale said.

And if he can play on into his early and mid-thirties, there’s one burning ambition driving the veteran winger forward.

He wants to add one more premiership ring to his collection.

“It would be a dream come true to be able to do that before retirement.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...p/news-story/9b487a54e3c742038c593c3ac2cec94c

Gareth67

First Grade
He is another player who has given his all to the Dragons , and will still be earning his pay-check next year .

He reminds me a bit of the great Johnny King , in the respect that both have given value for money . King who like most wingers in his day relied on sheer speed , whereas Nightingale is his elusiveness . Both players are class and I'm sure that Jason will not be letting anyone down next year . The Dragons made one of their best buys when they signed him .

dragonssamy61

First Grade
He is another player who has given his all to the Dragons , and will still be earning his pay-check next year .

He reminds me a bit of the great Johnny King , in the respect that both have given value for money . King who like most wingers in his day relied on sheer speed , whereas Nightingale is his elusiveness . Both players are class and I'm sure that Jason will not be letting anyone down next year . The Dragons made one of their best buys when they signed him .

Gareth he is all of what you said and of the field a just as good. Mate he came to see the kids at my club. You now why. Because I meet him a few time and I told him about the team and he said ill come and see them play one day.
I though nothing more about it. Then 2 week later the kids were playing and he turned up. No fan fare and he signed there jerseys and talk to them for about an hour after there game. What a legend he is.
Those kid will never forget that and neither will i.

Gareth67

First Grade
That must had been a big thrill for the kids , Sammy . He sounds like an unassuming gent , and to give his time to a team such as yours was a wonderful thing to do . That will only help those young players to stay with Rugby League and not change to another football code .

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Lost me at 'club’s first and only NRL title'.
Considering the NRL has only been going since 1998, that's fine. Now standing by for the same author to say South Sydney has won only one NRL title.

Oh I forgot, the NRL has claimed all the NSWRL records as part of their own history. The duplicity is astounding.

Mr Red

First Grade
1st premiership or 16th premiership it's all media talk, we as fans know the truth.
The thing I took away from this article is how poorly we planned for life after Bennett. He didn't magically quit and left the club without notice, he served his contract as agreed so the club should have been planning well in advance.. But they didn't .

They didn't retain core players or junior talent, nor did they aggressively pursue quality players each season when they were in a position to dangle finals footy and potential premierships as the carrot to attract quality players. Instead they bought washed up cheap hack journeymen and it all went to shit from there...

Guys like Scott, smith, Morris left simply because the dragons were tight asses and didn't feel the players actually warranted what the market dictated, so the players left. Each of those three players gave the dragons final offer to retain them before signing elsewhere, or the dragons simply didn't want to retain them...
Merrin as well, although him leaving was a lesser impact.
Article reading between the lines highlights the boards inability to plan and future proof the club .

Last edited:

dragonssamy61

First Grade
That must had been a big thrill for the kids , Sammy . He sounds like an unassuming gent , and to give his time to a team such as yours was a wonderful thing to do . That will only help those young players to stay with Rugby League and not change to another football code .

Mate thats spot on. Mybe those kid will be able to tell there kids about a legend who came to see them play

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
As I remember the circumstances Gasnier's re-signing forced out guys like Smith and Costigan. But what I found so disappointing was losing the longer-term Dragons from that Premiership squad as though they were no longer of any consequence. Scott, Merrin, Prior and Brett Morris, along with Creagh and Nightingale could have still been providing a decent backbone to the team. I can't imagine a For and Against tally of 295/482 with those blokes still in the team. The club even forced Ben Hornby to retire a season early with no replacement on the horizon. At least when Jamie Soward and the club parted company they thought they had a great replacement in Widdup, forgetting that they still had no half-back.

Anyway I agree with all the positive comments about Jason Nightingale. I will always remember him for his Grand Final double but also his fearless returning of the ball and determined tackling over many seasons. I wish him well next year in his quest for a contract extension.

Gareth67

First Grade
Most certainly will , as we all know , young kids are most impressionable at a young age -
good or bad events always stick in a persons mind , more so the very young .

Even I can remember Artie Beetson presenting me with a pendant at the end of year team picnic day - and believe me , that was a hell of a long time ago .

However more importantly , I remember the very words that he spoke to me , " there you are Garry , congratulations " . Well I remember looking up to what to me must had been the biggest man that I had ever seen ( and there are a lot of big fellows who lived in the country NSW ) .

What really caught my eye was his smile , it lit up his whole face . I have never forgotten
that day , nor will your young blokes .

OzDragon

Coach
One thing I've always admired about our club is 95% of our juniors who go on to have successful careers in the NRL do so without the need to resort to grub/illegal tactics. They seem to carry themselves with a certain level of pride and respect that seems lost to most other clubs.

Also Nighty, you're an absolute BLOODY LEGEND!

1st & 10

Juniors
"Six years on from the club’s first and only NRL title,"

Someone cannot count

repeat after me, foxsports - "16"

1st & 10

Juniors
Gareth he is all of what you said and of the field a just as good. Mate he came to see the kids at my club. You now why. Because I meet him a few time and I told him about the team and he said ill come and see them play one day.
I though nothing more about it. Then 2 week later the kids were playing and he turned up. No fan fare and he signed there jerseys and talk to them for about an hour after there game. What a legend he is.
Those kid will never forget that and neither will i.

Gypsy is a great guy. I was wearing a 90s Steelers players jacket in the shops one day (I swapped one of my saints ones with a steelers player) . Gypsy came up to me and we gas bagged in the middle of the shops for about an hour . When you consider the amount of w$&@kers who only care about their tattoos in 1st grade today, he is a gentlemen and an expert of his craft . I don't associate him with the rubble that exists today

since77

Juniors
1st premiership or 16th premiership it's all media talk, we as fans know the truth.
The thing I took away from this article is how poorly we planned for life after Bennett. He didn't magically quit and left the club without notice, he served his contract as agreed so the club should have been planning well in advance.. But they didn't .

They didn't retain core players or junior talent, nor did they aggressively pursue quality players each season when they were in a position to dangle finals footy and potential premierships as the carrot to attract quality players. Instead they bought washed up cheap hack journeymen and it all went to shit from there...

Guys like Scott, smith, Morris left simply because the dragons were tight asses and didn't feel the players actually warranted what the market dictated, so the players left. Each of those three players gave the dragons final offer to retain them before signing elsewhere, or the dragons simply didn't want to retain them...
Merrin as well, although him leaving was a lesser impact.
Article reading between the lines highlights the boards inability to plan and future proof the club .

While I'll always remember Bennett fondly for 2009 - 2011, there's no doubt his methods are all about quick results and to hell with long term planning - Newcastle in particular are now paying the price for this short sighted thinking. There's also no doubt in my mind that Doust & Co thought they could bottle the magic Bennett formula and replicate it with cheaper coaches and players. Its now 5 years of inept planning.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
I'll always remember the pure joy on his face when he went over for those two tries in the pouring rain in the grand final. Great memories.
As for the post-bennet era? Andrew Johns summoned it up nicely when he said that he had never seen a team dismantled like the Dragons were after winning the comp.