What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Laws/Price/Singleton/Carr/2GB/2UE/Jones Show(Important!)

syphon

Juniors
Moffo said:
You are being proven wrong and changing topic. Good form

Are you still telling me that once the tax goes in, a pokie machine will lose money for the club? :lol: Mate, here is an idea, email Roger Cowan tomorrow morning and ask him if he his pokie machines will lose money once the tax goes in.
not wrong at all, making you look quite naive infact. i hope you are listening to steve price at the moment, and the st george leagues club director is currently saying that the tax (since it is based on turnover) will result in the poker machines losing money for the clubs after payouts + tax.

exactly like i said, some machines will remain because of the spinoffs associated with having multiple forms of entertainment to draw patrons in.

NSW has 10% of the worlds poker machines.. obscene really, and the only reason you can't see past this is because they help prop up the NRL. they are infact a blight on society in the overall scheme of things.

hrundi99

First Grade
Carr's government have mismanaged the NSW economy.

The public transport debacle is a perfect example of this.

The labour premiers walking out of the meeting with Howard was a ridiculous political stunt.

"Give us some more money we can mis-spend!".

I don't understand the anti-pokie vibe either. If it's because they are changing pubs from live music venues then fine, but otherwise, it just reeks of a holier-than-thou (I don't play them so get rid of them) attitude.

Do you spend Saturday arvo down the TAB? Piss money away on Footy Tab? What's the difference?

Moffo

Referee
syphon said:
Moffo said:
You are being proven wrong and changing topic. Good form

Are you still telling me that once the tax goes in, a pokie machine will lose money for the club? :lol: Mate, here is an idea, email Roger Cowan tomorrow morning and ask him if he his pokie machines will lose money once the tax goes in.
not wrong at all, making you look quite naive infact. i hope you are listening to steve price at the moment, and the st george leagues club director is currently saying that the tax (since it is based on turnover) will result in the poker machines losing money for the clubs after payouts + tax.

exactly like i said, some machines will remain because of the spinoffs associated with having multiple forms of entertainment to draw patrons in.

NSW has 10% of the worlds poker machines.. obscene really, and the only reason you can't see past this is because they help prop up the NRL. they are infact a blight on society in the overall scheme of things.

Didn't u tell me before that it would be revenue neutral? Here is what the paper said:

"Mr Carr later told ABC radio licensed clubs in NSW would not lose any revenue under the changes to poker machine tax.

"Even when this tax is fully introduced and when you allow for the payouts that pokie revenue provides, club profits will still grow from $2.3 billion to $3 billion," Mr Carr said.

"All these figures are based on the assumption that there will be no growth in gaming revenue, the growth in population alone would determine that revenue would continue."

So if there is no growth, he is inferring that there is no loss. So tell me, what is your stance? You can't change sides, they will either make a loss or be revenue neutral mate...not both :lol:

Cheers,
Moffo

syphon

Juniors
you dont get it moffo (or perhaps you are pushing a beleguered point).

Bob Carr once said it is likely to be revenue neutral (judging by the way you react to this term it is a little complex for you) for the NSW govt in that the likely drop off in # of machines would offset the extra revenue made per machine. i do notice now however he is saying that they will get extra money to direct towards the states hospitals so perhaps the govt will make more money out of it.

every leagues club spokesman i have heard, including Egan and Carr, have said there is an active disincentive for clubs to have hundreds of machines because they would each make a loss. thus there is incentive to cut machine numbers.

and i thought i heard a very naive point before in this thread (from tamazoid i believe) that said if the clubs are getting less profit per machine, then they'd get more machines and advertise more to offset this. if this was the case, they'd be doing that now. Why would you have the potential to make more money but not utilise it?

anyway moffo... have you ever stopped to wonder why the tax is on turnover, but not profits?

syphon

Juniors
PS: this tax is applicable to the top 500 clubs isn't it? the ones already laced with water fountains and marble foyers and managers being paid by the squillions.... (and such little % going to the community. make no mistake, the community angle is a token gesture)

syphon

Juniors
singleton, brogden, jones, gallop etc have got one thing right though...

Rugby League will be on its knees if this tax goes through, and it doesn't look like Bob Carr is backing down.

Anonymous

Juniors
syphon said:
PS: this tax is applicable to the top 500 clubs isn't it? the ones already laced with water fountains and marble foyers and managers being paid by the squillions....
Well there you go folks... it seems we have 500 RL clubs with water fountains, marble foyers and managers being paid 'squillions'.
Syphon... your credibility is on the line. Name these 500 clubs.... :lol:

syphon

Juniors
Willow said:
syphon said:
PS: this tax is applicable to the top 500 clubs isn't it? the ones already laced with water fountains and marble foyers and managers being paid by the squillions....
Well there you go folks... it seems we have 500 RL clubs with water fountains, marble foyers and managers being paid 'squillions'.
Syphon... your credibility is on the line. Name these 500 clubs.... :lol:
your credibility is already shot. did i say 500 rugby league clubs?

learn to read.. the newspaper would be a start.

Anonymous

Juniors
I see... you were talking about netball clubs then?
And here I was thinking it was only League that you had an obsession with.

Don't bullshit... oh, I see you already have. :lol:

But I'll go easy on you...
I just want know where these 500 clubs are.. the ones with fountains, marble foyers and managers with squillions of dollars... any list of clubs will do. Please elaborate.

syphon

Juniors
Willow said:

Don't bullsh*t... oh, I see you already have. :lol:

I just want know where these 500 clubs are.. the ones with fountains, marble foyers and managers with squillions of dollars... any list of clubs will do. Please elaborate.
it is quite obvious you have next to no idea what this debate is all about, so i'm wondering why you are trying to comment on it.

do you know what a registered club is? are you over 18? do netball clubs have poker machines??

The tax hike applies to the top 500 clubs in the state. for most clubs this tax is not applicable.

Southernsaint

Staff member
John Laws is paid a motza over the years by the Registerd Clubs to be their spokesman & now he's turned against them & backing the Carr government??

If you're onto a good thing, switch to it. No credibility :roll:

Having said this, maybe League clubs should have been looking for some time at alternative revenue streams like the AFL clubs have. It's easy, take off your cap, put it in your hand & get on your knees before the governing body of the code...

Cheers,
Ben S.

Anonymous

Juniors
syphon said:
Willow said:

Don't bullsh*t... oh, I see you already have. :lol:

it is quite obvious you have next to no idea what this debate is all about, so i'm wondering why you are trying to comment on it.

do you know what a registered club is? are you over 18? do netball clubs have poker machines??

The tax hike applies to the top 500 clubs in the state. for most clubs this tax is not applicable.
Now now syphon... no need to generate this into one of your schoolyard food fights. Obviously you don't mind shit stirring as long as it doesnt come back you. :lol:
Try thinking about your answers in relation to the question and resort less to childish squabbling... you'll last longer that way.

Now it was a simple question... which 500 clubs are 'laced fountains and marble foyers' and which managers are earning 'squillions'...?

You could always just say that you exaggerated and have no facts to back this up. That would be the honourable way out.

Or perhaps I should ask Eddie McGuire...

JK

legend said:
I live in the area of Mounties, Liverpool Catholic Club and Club Marconi. There aren't many cafes around these clubs I can assure you.

There are no cafes because the clubs can offer discount food at lower prices. People don't connect this with the amount they lose gambling.

Let's assume for a minut ethe clubs will keep their social services and just can sponsorship of sporting clubs. Who is left to pick up the tab? Literally, hundreds of sporting clubs (not just league) will fold overnight.

It is a phased 7 year implemetation.

All this can directly related to the spiralling cost of insurance in NSW as well. Another area Mr Carr has failed miserably. Have a look at his reforms to Workers Comp and the cost of insuring yourself to play sport these days. It costs around $200.00 for registration for any sport, not just league.

Insurance is a wider issue but I can agree that workers comp was a disgrace while supporting taxing pokies.

I'd like to know exactly what/who Mr Carr does support, becuase it's fairly evident he doesn't support people playing sport, the elderly, home buyers, public transport users, students, clubs, injured workers, investors, motorists, TAFE students. Have I missed anyone? :lol:

Cynical aren't we? 8)

JK

legend said:
No but a link can be made indirectly. :lol:

To be honest, I don't know what Willow's stance is on this issue but it surprises me we actually agree on something. :lol:

Think about it though. We run a website about rugby league or more precisely, the NRL. We hope to make some money out of the website one day and if the product we promote isn't around, well we aren't going to do too well are we?

To be honest, I feel pretty much the same way about the Libs at the moment but the difference is, you expect it from them.

Bob Carr would have to be more right wing than Howard and he (Carr) is widely despised by most people I know.

Almost every initiative they have tried has failed. They are self serving beuarecrats who are only thinking of life after politics. IMO, Carr is showing his financial nouse (or lack thereof) to prospective employers after Labor get booted out in the next state election.

Getting on with the job my arse!

Spend some time investigating more than the front pages of the Telegraph. Most things the state govt do are off the radar when it comes to the shock jocks and tabloid media - not sexy enough.

One point is worth exploring - the fact that Howard and Carr are two very hated politicians yet both are unbelievably popular at the same time. The Australian voting public needs a massive wake-up call.

Anonymous

Juniors
legend said:
No but a link can be made indirectly. :lol:

To be honest, I don't know what Willow's stance is on this issue but it surprises me we actually agree on something. :lol:

Think about it though. We run a website about rugby league or more precisely, the NRL. We hope to make some money out of the website one day and if the product we promote isn't around, well we aren't going to do too well are we?

To be honest, I feel pretty much the same way about the Libs at the moment but the difference is, you expect it from them.

Bob Carr would have to be more right wing than Howard and he (Carr) is widely despised by most people I know.

Almost every initiative they have tried has failed. They are self serving beuarecrats who are only thinking of life after politics. IMO, Carr is showing his financial nouse (or lack thereof) to prospective employers after Labor get booted out in the next state election.

Getting on with the job my arse!
Personally, I dont think a great deal will come of it and I dont believe that these sort of policies are exclusive to one side of politics (this is assuming that you accept that we have two sides of politics in Australia).

The clubs will survive - I know that some Leagues Clubs are saying that they will have to cut back on a few things including Football Club contributions (St George even suggested that they will pull out of the Illawarra) but imo, this is just part of the lobbying process to try and put pressure on the government. I don't believe the rhetoric.

The clubs are like any business and plenty of businesses have been slugged by government policies... be it the fishing industry or the footwear & clothing industry... and it's not restricted to the state government and it didnt start happening yesterday.

I don't buy into the idea that the pokie tax will see the demise of NRL clubs who imo, will just have to diversify. This could mean an end to the cheap club bistro and membership fees may rise. Plus the clubs will have to look into their spending... just like other industries who have an axe to grind with Federal and State policies. It's also quite probable that there'll be some more creative book keeping.

But to me, the main rub is with the amount that clubs already spend on the game. Its true that the big Clubs have high turnovers but they tend to closely scrutinise every dollar they give to the sport.
Club revenue from pokies has been on a steady rise for a number of years now, I don't know the figures, but I'm willing to guess that the amount of pokie income that goes into junior sporting development hasn't gone up by the same percentage.

As far as I can work out, the main reason why the state govt wants to increase the tax is because in simple terms, they have the power to do it.

JK

And they need the cash.

So many people want them to spend money on education..no health...no roads...no this...no that...

It has to come from somewhere.

Latest posts