What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Leader - Capewell and A-Fi stories

Couple of stories from The Leader this week.
First one on Capewell has an interesting snippet by Flanno on where Capes may be playing next year, in the same breath he gives a hint of Dugan to fullback and Holmes back to wing.

He is an apprentice carpenter from south-west Queensland who loves fishing and believes that weights are optional.

Meet Kurt Capewell, Cronulla’s man of the moment.

The 23-year-old produced a breakout performance for the Sharks in their late comeback win over the Wests Tigers on Saturday night, scoring his first two NRL tries and throwing the last pass for a third. Capewell also ran for more than 250 metres and made four line breaks.

It was only his eighth NRL appearance of the season, coming into the team in the absence of Cronulla’s five State of Origin stars. But it was a performance so good that Sharks coach Shane Flanagan said afterwards it would now be hard to leave him out of his 17 going forward, regardless of who else was available.

“I take confidence out of that. It’s great to hear,” Capewell said.

“But also I understand that the team we’ve got it’s a quality 17. I know there’ll be weeks I miss out but I’ll keep working hard and hopefully work my way into it permanently.”

Capewell arrived in the shire at the start of last season from Queensland Cup champions Ipswich. After being cut by the Broncos and Roosters after stints in their NYC systems, Capewell went back to Queensland where he started his apprenticeship as a chippy. He was three years into it when he got the call from the Sharks.

Capewell hit the ground running, named in the Intrust Super Premiership NSW team of the year for his performances with Cronulla’s feeder side Newtown and played four NRL games for the Sharks including a qualifying final victory over Canberra and preliminary final win over North Queensland.

“I came down to play NRL obviously. In my mind I thought I could do it. I wouldn’t have moved away from home and the apprenticeship if not. It’s been good, I’ve ticked off a couple of goals and set more again that I need to tick off now,” he said.

“I was so excited when I got the offer from Cronulla because of the quality players that were here. To come here and learn off blokes like Lewy and Gal, I take a lot away from these blokes even at training every day listening to what they have to say.

r0_165_3226_1986_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Kurt Capewell playing for Cronulla in the preliminary final against North Queensland last season. Picture: Cameron Spencer/Getty Images

“There’s a definite pathway here for me. I love the team, I love the people, I love the area. I’m happy as Larry. I’ll stay here as long as I can I think.”

There is a story about Capewell that when he arrived at Cronulla he was asked how often he did weight training at Ipswich. He didn’t, was the reply. Ipswich wasn’t a full-time system and weights were optional. He chose not to take up the option.

The Sharks put him to work in the gym where he put on eight kilograms of muscle in a year. It is one of the reasons why Flanagan believes Capewell has made such dramatic strides in such little time – that dedication to hard work.

“I saw this really talented kid. He had good footwork and a good skill set,” Flanagan said.

“He’d been out of that full-time system a little bit up there at Ipswich so to get him back down here [was good]. Now he’s a big frame, he’s a big man and he’s still got his footwork and skill set. Whether he plays centre or back-row long term [I’m not sure] but over the next couple of years he’ll nail a full-time position in the team. On the weekend I think he had by far the most quick play the balls because he’s got that footwork and he gets his nose through the line. He’s hard to handle.

“He probably did [say weights were optional]. That’s why he probably put on so much muscle when he did come down his first year. He worked really hard in the gym. It was a really good effort and he’s showing the benefits now.”

A move to the back-row permanently next season isn’t assured yet, with Flanagan confident Capewell could be the man to replace Brisbane-bound Jack Bird next season ahead of new signing – and representative centre – Josh Dugan.

“He is doing his apprenticeship [to play back-row] now but also there’s an opportunity he could nail Jack Bird’s right centre position as well,” Flanagan said.

r0_130_4182_2481_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Picture: Daniel Munoz/Fairfax Media

“He’s doing a real good job there. He did a good job on the weekend. For me he might force my hand that I’ve got to play him in the team somewhere and it might be right centre next year.

“Duges can play fullback. Kurt can play left centre as well. It’s good to have those options. Val can play wing [as well]. We’ll just make sure we’re putting the best team out on the paddock.”

But if you thought moving to Sydney and becoming an NRL player would change a young bloke from Charleville in remote south-west Queensland, think again.

“He loves his fishing,” Flanagan said.

“True story, he comes to training with the boat on the back. Comes to rehab on days off, does physio then goes out in Port Hacking fishing after training. I don’t know how good he is but he loves doing it.”

While his coach might be questioning his fishing, he definitely isn’t questioning his football. Cronulla’s man of the moment will be around for quite a while yet.
http://www.theleader.com.au/story/4741856/why-kurt-capewell-is-cronullas-man-of-the-moment/?cs=1633

A-Fi story

He is the man who owns one of the greatest moments in the history of the Cronulla Sharks – now Andrew Fifita has the rest of his career to create many more.

The club announced on Friday afternoon Fifita had signed a four-year contract extension. The NSW State of Origin and Australia representative was already signed for next season, with his new deal to keep him in the black, white and blue until 2022.

Fifita has been invaluable for Cronulla on the field since arriving at the club in 2012, with Sunday’s game against Manly to be his 115th for the Sharks.

He has now played nine Origins and six Tests and will always be remembered in the shire for his match-winning try in Cronulla’s grand final win over Melbourne last season.

But it hasn’t always been smooth sailing for Fifita.

Last season the NRL issued a breach notice and fined Fifita $20,000 over his support for one-punch killer Kieran Loveridge. Fifita wore arm bands with “FKL” written on the strapping, which he said stood for 'For Kieran Loveridge'. Loveridge was convicted of killing Thomas Kelly in 2012. The NRL also prevented him from being considered for Australia's victorious Four Nations campaign over the matter.

The year before, Fifita and his brother, David, copped six-week NRL bans for an incident at an A-Grade match in Sydney’s west, with Andrew also receiving a $30,000 fine for referee abuse.

But, with his 28th birthday next week and he and his wife, Nikki, expecting their third child, Fifita is eyeing a more mature future.

While he is already part of Cronulla’s leadership group, Fifita is keen to help Wade Graham – the man expected to take over as Sharks captain from Paul Gallen – lead their club to more glory.

“I know when you look at the future you see Wade Graham taking over the club. I’ve grown up with Wadeo and I’ve always been one of his fans even though he’s younger than me,” Fifita said.

r974_450_3170_1653_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Picture: John Veage

“But I’ve got that much respect for him and it’s guys like him that I want to be around in the future with and just show that leadership around the club. We’ve seen the success we’ve had last year by building around some individual players and getting a great culture at the club.”

Cronulla coach Shane Flanagan has been one of Fifita’s staunchest supporters. As many of the best coaches have to do working with young men, Flanagan has at times had to offer Fifita his counsel and support. Other times, a kick in the backside.

“We’ve all seen the growth in Andrew off the field and his football has gone to a new level as well over the last couple of seasons,” he said.

“He is a match-winner as we saw in the grand final and then again in the first Origin game and to have him here at the club for a further five years is very exciting.”

Fifita said he was delighted to be staying with the club and hoped to build on what he had already accomplished.

“I’m pretty wrapped, to be honest. It’s pretty positive, to say that I’m here for the next five years is a very long time but I know how fast it can be,” he said.

“I’ve had success here before and things are going really well at the moment especially with club footy. For myself, everything is positive on and off the field around the club. I enjoy everything at the club, its culture, its youth. Some of the older heads in the team that have really helped me along my journey and given me the experience to help out some of our youth.

“It’s an opportunity and I’ve grabbed it with both hands. I’m quite excited.”