What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The LJC\Stallion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion

First Grade
To suit the cricket?

I might add Cricket Australia has a few rugby union types in its ranks. Wonder when the day/night test was scheduled? Before or after the determining of the rugby league world cup final date?

Pommy

Coach
I might add Cricket Australia has a few rugby union types in its ranks. Wonder when the day/night test was scheduled? Before or after the determining of the rugby league world cup final date?

6e9a6a673710b0d8411db4c81937e2a3--tin-foil-hat-sacramento.jpg

Stallion

First Grade
a different demographic ?
what are you babbling about
RL is NOT a different scenario at all , just like cricket , it is one of the leading sports in this nation

the issue was the public perception of international RL which is poor
it competes like its a different sport with club football & origin
we love seeing Cam Smith in a Storm Jersey or a QLD one & pay huge money to do so .. yet won't watch him in an Australian one
Marketing the world cup as cheap entertainment is not the answer either , because it will always play 3rd fiddle if we do

I do agree that the NRL and the mainstream press treated the World cup with reluctance and disdain (especially final time). Its true what you have mentioned however their is a harder path for rugby league to tow than other codes. Its popular because it truelly is attractive. Some codes of note are not so attractive but get a disproportionate amount of media coverage (ie: union)
Their is a different demographic in that rugby league is not played in elite private schools whereas other football codes and cricket is played in all school scenarios (public, catholic and elite private) RL is not played in the whole range. This necessarily has RL placed in a different audience frame although thankfully it is(RL) attractive enough to capture the demographic it is basically excluded from in the private school scene. I'm not babbling. This is very real and relevant to rugby league's struggles . The pricing should be appropriate for the fans this game attracts and the exhorbitant ticket prices have clearly a negative impact on the crowd figures for this world cup tournament.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
It was error, not the end of the world as you want to make it as.

Another "error coincidence " for the game of rugby league? Is it the same "error type" as the code not being recognised as a sport? Or the virtual non existence of mainstream media coverage of the world cup final? I can name more 'strange' occurences against the code if you like? But these will do for now.

Stallion

First Grade
Very touchy editor or moderator!? These are valid comments! It's dissappointing but thats the way things are I suppose.

Stallion

First Grade
Just make sure their not union whores trying to steal your precious league seed.

It's funny when you mention to union whores about the dirty tricks that rugby league has endured courtesy of u know what, they actually get the picture and see what's really been going on. So I've managed to plant a few 'UWs" with a sense of enlightenment and changed perspective for the better toward RL in my travels. :relaxed:

Stallion

First Grade
To the editor/moderator: You are way too touchy mate! Some of this is spoken in jest and you still edit in this poor manner?

Stallion

First Grade
Sounds positive. The results at the WC were disappointing but hopefully French RL is heading in the right direction. France is a major piece of the puzzle in international RL

Yes. Very important. It was thwarted in a very underhanded way in 1941 and has suffered ever since. HERE'S HOPING!

Stallion

First Grade
Yep if it wasn't for those vichy scum we could be watching French RL during the NRL/SL off season!

Moreover I'd say the code would have spread easily throughout Europe. I'm thinking it (RL)would be as big as soccer due to its inclusive and attractive rules of play!

Stallion

First Grade
Wow. The editing is genuinely "NAZI like" from whomever is transfering comments to this thread! It's pretty obvious!

Stallion

First Grade
They can't muster a side though - "they" being the operative word. Their squad is entirely a product of the English, Australian and NZ game. The one player that is Scottish in their last squad - David Scott - plays his rugby for Batley in Yorkshire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Rugby_League_World_Cup_squads#Scotland

There is no Rugby league scene in Scotland so there's nothing to disappear. Id say the same for Ireland too. We need to establish the game first in both countries for the sport to have something to lose. The Cook Islands are much more deserving of a spot, as are Canada. There needs to be a criteria that the sport has some sort of scene in a country before it gets in our showpiece tournament.

Interesting point you raise in the comment "their is no rugbyleague scene in Scotland and Ireland" Wonder why this is the case? Seems like their are obstacles in the code establishing itself in such nations?

bowes

Juniors
Interesting point you raise in the comment "their is no rugbyleague scene in Scotland and Ireland" Wonder why this is the case? Seems like their are obstacles in the code establishing itself in such nations?
The obstacle is no one really wants to play rugby league in Scotland. Ireland is different, there's about 10-12 clubs, but it's quite RU player orientated

Stallion

First Grade
The obstacle is no one really wants to play rugby league in Scotland. Ireland is different, there's about 10-12 clubs, but it's quite RU player orientated

Wonder why no one really wants to play rugby league then? That in itself needs researching. As the code is clearly popular elsewhere. I suspect some fundamental aspects like no presence in schools and other codes doing their best to inhibit rugby league growth/presence may be the case? Would have thought such an inclusive form of rugby(RL) be very appealing in most places?

bowes

Juniors
Wonder why no one really wants to play rugby league then? That in itself needs researching. As the code is clearly popular elsewhere. I suspect some fundamental aspects like no presence in schools and other codes doing their best to inhibit rugby league growth/presence may be the case? Would have thought such an inclusive form of rugby(RL) be very appealing in most places?
It's seriously nothing to do with rugby union. Rugby union itself is only a small sport in Scotland, which may explain why the strategy of recruiting RU players works in Wales and Ireland, but not in Scotland

Stallion

First Grade
It's seriously nothing to do with rugby union. Rugby union itself is only a small sport in Scotland, which may explain why the strategy of recruiting RU players works in Wales and Ireland, but not in Scotland

I've seen different anecdotal information whereby Irish RU officials warn off players wanting to play RL after the union season has been completed. Remembering that the RL season is played in the off season and this is amateur level footy. Two Aussies were subject to such a warning. They were told " You can play any other sport except for Rugby league!"

ULYSSES

Juniors
I've seen different anecdotal information whereby Irish RU officials warn off players wanting to play RL after the union season has been completed. Remembering that the RL season is played in the off season and this is amateur level footy. Two Aussies were subject to such a warning. They were told " You can play any other sport except for Rugby league!"

You appear to be pushing your standard agenda in spite of 'bowes' stating that RL in Ireland is RU player oriented. If that is the case then we need to address why we can't attract RL oriented players in sufficient numbers.
Constantly blaming outside forces makes us look like losers and detracts from addressing the real issues limiting our growth. Just because something works in Australia does not mean the same formula is appealing everywhere. Like it or not RU is kicking our arse in many countries. Address the actual reasons for this and we can then formulate the growth plan.

Stallion

First Grade
You appear to be pushing your standard agenda in spite of 'bowes' stating that RL in Ireland is RU player oriented. If that is the case then we need to address why we can't attract RL oriented players in sufficient numbers.
Constantly blaming outside forces makes us look like losers and detracts from addressing the real issues limiting our growth. Just because something works in Australia does not mean the same formula is appealing everywhere. Like it or not RU is kicking our arse in many countries. Address the actual reasons for this and we can then formulate the growth plan.

Part of the actual reasons relate to this "anti establishment " stance against the code of rugby league. Things like not being recognised as a sport by reputed international sports bodies would not assist the code to expand? SURELY YOU CAN SEE THAT? That's an example of the powers that be limiting and thwarting RLs existence /growth in many nations. If it were in reverse and it was another code being treated like an outcast I would also think that to be unfair!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts