What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The LJC\Stallion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion

First Grade
Editor : You show a disturbing tendency in not allowing valid comments and information to stay within a designated thread.

Stallion

First Grade
So basically coaches are irrelevant then. Why did England hire Wayne Bennett? Name a serial loser in Super League, that's who the England football team appointed with
Hodgson.

It's not just tactics, in fact I believe, at international level in football, the main thing a coach needs to bring is team cohesion. A club type feel, united. England haven't been united in decades. Players from the 'golden generation' have openly stated this, and its not helped by the fans. You won't get Arsenal fans cheering Cashly Cole, you won't get Mancs - or Everton fans - cheering Gerrard, you won't get Scousers cheering Gary Neville, or John Terry - who most of the country despises. The club game in England is so tribal - the regions themselves are tribal - that it's hard to create a unity when the players come together for the national team. When Bobby Moore lifted the World Cup for England the rivalry in the club game was nowhere near as tribal as it is now. Football is the only sport in England where the national team is hampered by its tribalism at club level. For me the one manager that could have created a united team is Harry Redknapp.

Where is RU stopping growth? Posh areas, leafy Surrey, won't give two hoots about Rugby league. Its not part of their culture. Again, sport and culture cannot be split. Sport is culture. These areas have RU embedded into their culture, just as RL is embedded in the culture of former mining towns in the north of England.

Again you focus on this tiny demographic. What about the rest of the country? The 80% plus where neither code has any significant presence.

Living in England I barely come across either code - bar when I attend RL games in St Helens. Both codes are niche sports, entrenched in their own cultural heartlands. Outside England RU got a massive head start over RL in outposts of the British commonwealth as it is older and was established in private schools.

So far nothing you have stated has not convinced me that RL is underachieving and is coping/suffering in a challenging environment in various places. I have a telltale example article that may enlighten you.
Good rant but you have veered off topic. Have you anything to say about my comment though?

Niche sports, both of them, like all collision based sports.

Please read the attached for information;

Attachments

• RL.The plight of South African rugby league.pdf
    28.8 KB · Views: 1
    28.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
Please read for information that may enlighten you.

Attachments

28.8 KB · Views: 6

Stallion

First Grade
We all understand rugby league has issues in South Africa but this is about fecking Scotland.

I am trying to emphasize the lengths RU will go to as far as inhibiting /limiting/ stopping the development or growth of rugby league. Can you not see a correlation with the other countries like France for one, that this stuff is not isolated to one or two countries?. It's very much widespread and I have other articles to support this. Where their is smoke their is fire. It's pervasive and deliberate.

Te Kaha

First Grade
Editor : You show a disturbing tendency in not allowing valid comments and information to stay within a designated thread.
No Moron. Your posts about South Africa had nothing to do with Scotland.

Last warning next complaint against you will have you barred from the international forum.

Stallion

First Grade
Rugby union isn’t powerful in Scotland though, why blame another code when league have done nothing to help themselves.

To say those countries have less obstacles is total fantasy. Scotland RL need to only get a single team together these other nations need an entire league. These nations probably don’t have RL being broadcast in to every pay per view house, in fact there’s now free to air rugby league in Scotland.
To say there’s less obstacles is totally laughable.

Rugby union courtesy of their association through the priviledged class are way more powerful than you think. It's things like RL not having recognition as a sport by international sporting bodies and access to affluent sponsors that don't give a shit if they make money or not as long as its helping out RU that goes by the "not noticed"or unaware channel of thought. I can attach more examples of this if u like. Just request and I will forward. Here's an article that shows how things are in one country:

Attachments

Last edited:

DC80

Juniors
No Moron. Your posts about South Africa had nothing to do with Scotland.

Last warning next complaint against you will have you barred from the international forum.
I'd go easy on him tbh, he's just very passionate (albeit a little too passionate).

I am trying to emphasize the lengths RU will go to as far as inhibiting /limiting/ stopping the development or growth of rugby league. Can you not see a correlation with the other countries like France for one, that this stuff is not isolated to one or two countries?. It's very much widespread and I have other articles to support this. Where their is smoke their is fire. It's pervasive and deliberate.
Stallion, some of what you state about RU is correct. You don't need to be posting links, we all know it. But why are you surprised/outraged? The two codes are in direct competition with each other. It would be counterproductive for one to give access to the other as that would be eating into their market (players, audience etc.).

You keep bringing up RU as stopping RL from being this worldwide sport. Given that RU is only of interest to less than 5% of the planet, how can that be the case?

If RL had RU's entire market tomorrow it would still be a niche sport.

RL has over 95% of the sports market to work with completely unhindered. Focus on that rather than the small market RU has.

I follow St Helens, I have no interest in Harlequins or any RU team, but I also don't demand that people who follow RU teams switch their allegiance to RL. RU is part of their culture, accept it. If you want to play RL then go to a school that plays it.

And as for RL being so inclusive. It's a collision sport. Keep ignoring the statistics if you wish but collision sports have always ranked low in participation and viewers outside of their cultural heartland. I've posted links of participation numbers of RL in Australia and England compared to other sports, it ranks 12th in Australia and 27th in England, and those are the two main RL countries where the sport has a cultural heartland. Where you believe the sport would be but for RU is pure fantasy.

Stallion

First Grade
The only way RL gets bigger than Union in England is if there’s a credible international scene.
There’s plenty of people who are football fans but will watch the six nations etc,they don’t care about club union. Proper union fans are a lost cause.

"Proper " union fans have mostly become so as they have been indoctrinated by a school system that propagates that code. IF rugby league were given/allowed such a presence in such schools their would be a vastly different sports scenario. Not only in England but worldwide I suggest.

Pommy

Coach
"Proper " union fans have mostly become so as they have been indoctrinated by a school system that propagates that code. IF rugby league were given/allowed such a presence in such schools their would be a vastly different sports scenario. Not only in England but worldwide I suggest.

Yes and I went to a school that indoctrinated kids in to League, union never got a look in.
It’s a culture thing, you as an Aussie (I think) can’t tell people on the other side of the world their culture is wrong.

Stallion

First Grade
Yes and I went to a school that indoctrinated kids in to League, union never got a look in.
It’s a culture thing, you as an Aussie (I think) can’t tell people on the other side of the world their culture is wrong.

Didn't state it was wrong! So don't get stroppy me champ! The school I went to allowed both codes to be played! If rugby league was given presence in schools that dont have rugby-league it would be a far bigger and more well known code! Common sense really?

Pommy

Coach
Didn't state it was wrong! So don't get stroppy me champ! The school I went to allowed both codes to be played! If rugby league was given presence in schools that dont have rugby-league it would be a far bigger and more well known code! Common sense really?

Schools can’t play every sport that’s just common sense.
Why you think every school should be forced to play league I have no idea.

Stallion

First Grade
Schools can’t play every sport that’s just common sense.
Why you think every school should be forced to play league I have no idea.

Didn't state that either!? It's clear the grounds are there for such codes to play. In fact in my last high school year I played many sports including rugbyleague, union, soccer, hockey, cricket and basketball. Oddly enough I was made to sign a declaration to play one of those sports. That sport being rugby union as I was deemed a semi professional rugby-league player having signed a contract with my district club.

Pommy

Coach
Didn't state that either!? It's clear the grounds are there for such codes to play. In fact in my last high school year I played many sports including rugbyleague, union, soccer, hockey, cricket and basketball. Oddly enough I was made to sign a declaration to play one of those sports. That sport being rugby union as I was deemed a semi professional rugby-league player having signed a contract with my district club.

You never played American football? It’s a f**king OUTRAGE!!!!

Stallion

First Grade
You never played American football? It’s a f**king OUTRAGE!!!!

Lol. You do see point dont you!? Schools should be inclusive to all sports and let the kids decide what they prefer. Not some closed off choice version that occurs in a number of schools, particularly elite private with a consistent shunning of rugby league.

Pommy

Coach
Lol. You do see point dont you!? Schools should be inclusive to all sports and let the kids decide what they prefer. Not some closed off choice version that occurs in a number of schools, particularly elite private with a consistent shunning of rugby league.

No I have my feet firmly in reality and the real world and understand schools can’t possibly provide children with access to every sport possible given their finite time and financial resources.

Stallion

First Grade
No I have my feet firmly in reality and the real world and understand schools can’t possibly provide children with access to every sport possible given their finite time and financial resources.

Lol. So rugby league with 13 on a field can't be played in a school that plays only rugby union with the field dimensions already in place?! You are a head in the sand dude! Where there is a will there is a way. Oddly enough in NSW and QLD AFL has been recently introduced to elite private schools and rugby league still not allowed to be played. I know it upsets your pristine view of the world but their is idealogical biased against a code being exerted in such schools and that code is rugby league. That's reality! Until you and others realise this rugby league will always struggle!

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
Lol. So rugby league with 13 on a field can't be played in a school that plays only rugby union with the field dimensions already in place?! You are a head in the sand dude! Where there is a will there is a way. Oddly enough in NSW and QLD AFL has been recently introduced to elite private schools and rugby league still not allowed to be played. I know it upsets your pristine view of the world but their is idealogical biased against a code being exerted in such schools and that code is rugby league. That's reality! Until you and others realise this rugby league will always struggle!

My pristine view of the world? What that schools choOse to play one code of rugby? Sure they could choose both but why should they?
Elite private schools are allowed to do what they want because they are elite private schools, it’s all about their culture, league just isn’t part of it. Deal with it and move on.

The thing you are forgetting is private schools are a buisness and are supplying what the paying parents want. If the parents are so hell bent on their kids playing league it’s up to them to insist. Some how I don’t think that’s going to happen any time soon.

Stallion

First Grade
My pristine view of the world? What that schools choOse to play one code of rugby? Sure they could choose both but why should they?
Elite private schools are allowed to do what they want because they are elite private schools, it’s all about their culture, league just isn’t part of it. Deal with it and move on.

The thing you are forgetting is private schools are a buisness and are supplying what the paying parents want. If the parents are so hell bent on their kids playing league it’s up to them to insist. Some how I don’t think that’s going to happen any time soon.

That's where you are so wrong. The elite private schools in Brisbane played in a rugby league competition from 1928 to 1938. So its doable. And you ignored the recent AFL example as well. You are not doing so well with your logic!?

Pommy

Coach
That's where you are so wrong. The elite private schools in Brisbane played in a rugby league competition from 1928 to 1938. So its doable. And you ignored the recent AFL example as well. You are not doing so well with your logic!?

My logic? My logic is that elite schools get to choose they have chosen not to play league and to play AFL instead, where’s my logic failing?

Status
Not open for further replies.