What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Lurker - Brett Morris

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Brett Morris in a wheelchair is still better than McDonald

Methinks I may have damaged my phone by hitting the 'like' button after reading your post.

Anyone who cannot see that an aging Brett Morris would still be a serious upgrade on a torpid MacDonald is an idiot.

Whether or not he could've been the best alternative is an entirely different matter.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
From my observations of Bmoz he has not shown the speed and explosiveness he displayed years ago. Not sure if it was due to a bad run of injuries? If that's the case and it maybe he could rediscover some good form but it would be a gamble still and it's more than likely he wouldn't be an upgrade on what we already have and therefore be a waste of money. That's how I see it anyway

Did you see the try he scored against the Chooks at the SFS last season?

If not, it was a perfect template of speed and power all rolled into one.

I couldn't disagree with you more.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Don't forget we apparently have all these young guns waiting for an opportunity, at probably a fraction of the price of BMoz.

Will always be one of my favourite players, but it's a no from me.

Morris WAS a favourite son until he celebrated as though he'd won the friggin' lottery after scoring a match defining try against SGI in the 2015 elimination semi versus Canterbury.

Pro Dragons

Juniors
Our last piece of the puzzle for 2018 is our outside backs. McDonald has not lived up to expectation and is only there because we have no one else. Nighty went ok in 2017 but even in his prime he was never a speedster. Now in 2018 he's one year older, playing in a young man's position. The rest are young with potential but have not seen much of 1st grade due to McGregor's lack of confidence in them. If Morris for the right price, was available and came back to the Dragons it would give a huge boost in confidence to the outside backs.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Can someone rationally explain why this thread has been resurrected?

Canterbury's coach, Dean Pay, has indicated Morris very much wanted.

Newsflash: he ain't coming back, and we will have endure MacDonald for at least another 12 months.

RufusRex

Post Whore
I wouldn't sign B Morris, but he would still be better than Nightingale or McDonald.

Nene will be our top try scorer this year ... hopefully with something near 20 as opposed to 10. He has endured being outside McCrone/Frizell/Aitken none of whom were able to get him the ball .. As a result his try scoring was minimal. But in terms of metres/kick returns/tackle breaks he was easily our best outside back. Nene's defence was the result of Aitken not the other way around. I am expecting a very very different right edge attack this season ... Frizz will be our top scoring forward and Nene our top scoring back. Would prefer a centre between them that actually knows what passing is but baby steps.

Nene showed that he at least is capable of scoring a try that others in our team are not. Nighty managed to catch passes as he was falling over the line. The majority of his tries scored from 5m or closer and very very few from outside the 20.

Even Nene's work in the FKKL try in round 11 showed something that Nighty is no longer capable of when he made the break up field before finding Lafai who then found KFFL. Even that before we talk about the Anzac game. Nene's season was definitely sub par last year but I think this season in a team that will actually use its right edge in attack we will see something a lot different from him.

Old Timer

Coach
Nene will be our top try scorer this year ... hopefully with something near 20 as opposed to 10. He has endured being outside McCrone/Frizell/Aitken none of whom were able to get him the ball .. As a result his try scoring was minimal. But in terms of metres/kick returns/tackle breaks he was easily our best outside back. Nene's defence was the result of Aitken not the other way around. I am expecting a very very different right edge attack this season ... Frizz will be our top scoring forward and Nene our top scoring back. Would prefer a centre between them that actually knows what passing is but baby steps.

Nene showed that he at least is capable of scoring a try that others in our team are not. Nighty managed to catch passes as he was falling over the line. The majority of his tries scored from 5m or closer and very very few from outside the 20.

Even Nene's work in the FKKL try in round 11 showed something that Nighty is no longer capable of when he made the break up field before finding Lafai who then found KFFL. Even that before we talk about the Anzac game. Nene's season was definitely sub par last year but I think this season in a team that will actually use its right edge in attack we will see something a lot different from him.
If our forward pack has anywhere near the potency that people have suggested then Dufty will be the leading try scorer for us and by some margin I would expect.
With his genuine pace, willingness to back up the ball carriers, plus the opportunities presented by good short kicking game from our halves he should have a great time. (ala Billy Slater)
Dufty has the ability to create and finish where Nene only has the ability to finish, so chalk and cheese in my book.
If our forwards aren't dominant, then it will be tough for our halves and very lean pickings all round for our backline.

Belta

Juniors
On signing Nene the idea would of been for him to score more than 6 tries. (His tally last season) His size and speed and potential to be a threat in the aerial battle should have him up near 20 tries a season. Hopefully this is a focal point for this season. Let's hope Hunt is one part of this remedy.

Latest posts