What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The mandatory 'what now?' Thread.

jim_57

Staff member
Ok, so World Cup is done & dusted.

An equal balance of negatives and positives for me. Most negatives can mainly be put down to the fact that a lot of NRL fans aren't really fans of the game in general but their NRL clubs. Plenty of positives though with potential for big things with all the Pacific Nations in coming years.

So what now?

• We obviously need more regular games for Pacific Nations and games against Australia and/or NZ included.
  • Same with Euro nations, when NZ tour England next year each of Ireland, Italy, Wales and France should get a game against either NZ or England. In particular France should play England annually and explore the option of doing their own tour of the southern hemisphere.
  • Any tour situation should be the same as above with the 'local' sides all getting a peice of the action.
  • We need a 6-8 team Confed Cup every 4 years between World Cups, no more delaying.
  • England 2021 needs to really be switched on, the approach of having multiple games at the one venue in a short space of time has been a major failing in this World Cup.
  • USA and Canada definetely need to start seeing some kind of action if we are seriously hosting a World Cup there in 8 years. Find it hard to see how either will be anywhere near competitive by then so we need plans in place to build towards a sucessful World Cup.
So in general more games other than Aus/NZ/England keeping it amongst themselves, like we've been saying for years and years..

Anyway let them roll folks, what have we learnt from this World Cup and what should we be aiming for in years to come?

StadiumXIII

Juniors

An equal balance of negatives and positives for me. Most negatives can mainly be put down to the fact that a lot of NRL fans aren't really fans of the game in general but their NRL clubs. Plenty of positives though with potential for big things with all the Pacific Nations in coming years.

So what now?

• We obviously need more regular games for Pacific Nations and games against Australia and/or NZ included.
  • Same with Euro nations, when NZ tour England next year each of Ireland, Italy, Wales and France should get a game against either NZ or England. In particular France should play England annually and explore the option of doing their own tour of the southern hemisphere.
  • Any tour situation should be the same as above with the 'local' sides all getting a peice of the action.
  • We need a 6-8 team Confed Cup every 4 years between World Cups, no more delaying.
  • England 2021 needs to really be switched on, the approach of having multiple games at the one venue in a short space of time has been a major failing in this World Cup.
  • USA and Canada definetely need to start seeing some kind of action if we are seriously hosting a World Cup there in 8 years. Find it hard to see how either will be anywhere near competitive by then so we need plans in place to build towards a sucessful World Cup.
So in general more games other than Aus/NZ/England keeping it amongst themselves, like we've been saying for years and years..

Anyway let them roll folks, what have we learnt from this World Cup and what should we be aiming for in years to come?

Always hate this time of year when the Rugby league season ends.. It all comes down to the RLIF. It doesn't help having the best rugby league team in the world taking a break whenever they want, the Kangaroos need at least 3 test matches a year - definites are against NZ and a Pacific Nation. We need an Under 20s 4 Nations rotating between the South Pacific and Europe each year! this will help develop the player pathways and should overall hopefully develop more quality players.

Front-Rower

First Grade
In particular France should play England annually

They do. Results from 2010 onwards below;

2010 - Eng 60-6
2011 - Eng 32-18
2012 - Eng 44-6 / 48-4
2013 - Eng 34-6 (RLWC)
2014 - No game
2015 - Eng 84-4
2016 - Eng 40-6
2017 - Eng 36-6 (RLWC)

colly

Juniors

So what now?

I have said elsewhere have the World cup every year/or 3 Australia annually with 4th year GB
Have a Nines World cup (13 minute half's) Starting Australia Day at Cronulla finishing the weekend after Oz day. The two more Nines championships with 2 competition points to the winner, and one to the runner up.. (Brisbane and Auckland)
Doc what is soon coming is broadcast over 4/5g networks. We can add two teams, PNG (8 ml) and Pacific team (2 ml ) which will bring 10 million new/committed fans. The PNG/Pacific has reasonable Mobile phone coverage, anyway they can then/now stream NRL. IF we get 250k streamers (out of the 10 million new fans ) at cost 25 dollars per year ( their not rich) we get some return, (6.25 million $) but we create something Australasia/ Oceania which no amount of ABC bias can suppress. So late Jan 26 ( 3 Nines tournaments) to Oct Nov World Cups. Of course we sell extra game....$$$$

jim_57

Staff member
They do. Results from 2010 onwards below;

2010 - Eng 60-6
2011 - Eng 32-18
2012 - Eng 44-6 / 48-4
2013 - Eng 34-6 (RLWC)
2014 - No game
2015 - Eng 84-4
2016 - Eng 40-6
2017 - Eng 36-6 (RLWC)

Well not really, 2 of those were by chance (the RLWC games). Main point is going forward there is no set annual fixture which there should be whether it be mid year or firsr week after the SL Grand Final every year.

Dodgy

Juniors
So what now?
As someone from Victoria who followed the competition. While the convention of sports that have a WC is to have it every 4 years. I reckon RL are better off having a WC every two.

I think it'd spur development of the game. The 3-4 Nations is in effect a WC for the favourites. So having that in the intervening 4 years may be ok for them. But what do the rest do?

Having tours which are then forgotten about I don't think so much. A Pacific comp wouldn't penetrate mainstream interest. If a WC was on every two years, I think it'd make every RL country more focused on what they want to accomplish for the next WC, and know they have a relatively short time to take action.

I remember from the last WC. Aside from the game against Australia, the USA reasonable. My impression was that they regressed a bit. I think the lengty periods in between WC would contribute to that. If there had been another WC two years later, my opinion is that it'd be easier for USA RL to make the most of that. As opposed to waiting another 4 years where other factors may get in the way.

Stuff like 3-4nations and tours don't really drive commitment. A WC every two years I think would.

deluded pom?

Coach
The USA didn't regress in the way you mean. They decided to select a number of domestic players as opposed to 2013 when virtually all the squad were heritage players.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
What now?
  • Get as many nations active as possible in the mid-season rep weekend (SL and NRL have no matches that weekend from next year)
  • Post-season Euro six-nations minus England annually
  • Post-season Pacific Cup minus Australia and New Zealand annually
  • Post-season Atlantic Cup (USA, Canada, Jamaica) annually
  • Post-season Latin-American Cup (Chile, Argentina, Colombia, Mexico - first was held this year) annually
  • 2018: England v New Zealand series plus warm up tests for each against teir 2 nations
  • 2019: 9's World Cup (then begin planning a 9's circuit off the back of it), Lions Tour of Australia, New Zealand enter and host the Pacific Cup for the year
  • 2020: Four nations in the Southern Hemesphere with the top two place getters from Pacific Cup 2019 joining Australia and England (with the confederations cup not starting until 2023 why not?)

Last Week

Bench
I can't believe that, after years of saying it needs to happen, that we haven't got a solid calendar for international tournaments yet.

Yes, we've got the next two world cups announced, but that's it. Oh, maybe a world 9s and maybe an intercontinental tournament of some type in 6 years or so.

As for everything else, people can sort themselves out.

2, maybe 3, of the next 8 years have been decided.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I can't believe that, after years of saying it needs to happen, that we haven't got a solid calendar for international tournaments yet.

Yes, we've got the next two world cups announced, but that's it. Oh, maybe a world 9s and maybe an intercontinental tournament of some type in 6 years or so.

As for everything else, people can sort themselves out.

2, maybe 3, of the next 8 years have been decided.

Yes! We need to respect our game or no one else will - RLIF and your members it is over to you, make it happen.

jim_57

Staff member
You jest, surely?

Is there any set plan for England to play France annually going forward?

Even if we go off your list it is only 6/8 that an England V France was planned in advance. It should be mimimum of 1 gane per year in addition to any meetings in major tournaments.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sadly the kangaroos jersey go s back in mothballs with only a friendly against nzin october next year in the calendar so far for next 4 years.

Should be for Australia

2018 png, Tonga and nz oct/nov
2019 ashes three match series in Australia, World nines &png
2020 6 Nations in Australia/nz
2021 World Cup in uk.

Dodgy

Juniors
The USA didn't regress in the way you mean. They decided to select a number of domestic players as opposed to 2013 when virtually all the squad were heritage players.
Ok. I still think a WC every two years would be better than the typical 4. In the case of the USA for instance. I think it would've sped up the process for domestic player development and gained more commitment from heritage players. In fact, I think that'd be the case for all countries below tier 1.

Even when you compare it to soccer. Sure the WC is on every 4 years. But the European Cup is on in between those years. The EC being in effect a WC itself.

JasonE

Bench
I would loved to have seen the international 9's played next year instead of 2019.
That could've been a fantastic opportunity to build on the WC.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
It's pretty obvious you need an annual 2nd level tournament, one each in SH and NH. The equivalent of 6 nations and rugby championship in union. Staging ground for world cups. League sorely needs more competitive teams in the NH.

Wales, France, Ireland, England, (Lebanon?) in the north
Aus, NZ, Tonga, Fiji, PNG, Samoa in the south

Latest posts