What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Masters plan for a Dragons victory

brokendigit

Juniors
from SMH.com.au

By: Roy Masters

The Dragons have the best record in the NRL in dogfights. OK, they are playing Tigers (with a lot of Magpie) but rugby league defines a dogfight as a 300-plus game - a match that involves over 300 play-the-balls.
St George Illawarra have played seven 300-plus games recently and won all of them. Wests Tigers haven't been in a dogfight yet.

The first 10 minutes of the Broncos match shaped like one but when Wests Tigers scored an avalanche of tries, the time taken for goal kicking rendered a 300-plus impossible.

If the Dragons draw Wests Tigers into a high intensity, end-to-end game, they will win.

The Broncos made five line breaks against Wests Tigers in the first 20 minutes, all from short passes around the rucks and switch balls to their big men, but lacked support from the younger backs. However, the Broncos had no puff in the next 20. They are, at best, a 60-minute team. The Dragons play for 80.

Their excellent bench allows them to rotate forwards, meaning their big men can stay fresh for ruck-splitting runs late in the first half.

The Dragons have no inherent weaknesses in skill, size or speed but must counter Wests Tigers' rushing defence and offloading skills.

In attack, the Dragons must keep props Jason Ryles and Luke Bailey fresh for when the Wests Tigers pack tires. When the starting props aren't there, they need to maintain the power of the pack, going forward, taking the example of Dean Young, who always manages to hit the deck stomach down to allow a quick play-the-ball.

And use nippy backs for dummy-half runs on the third and fourth tackle, darting forward at the retreating defence. This will allow Ryles and Bailey to split them on the next tackle.

Halves Ben Hornby and Trent Barrett will then have an additional three to four seconds to assess where to run, or pass against a back-pedalling defence, or spot the fullback and kick.

They must be willing to kick behind Wests Tigers' rushing defence to cause hesitation.

In defence, the Dragons must not concede penalties for holding down, particularly in the forwards. The Dragons have the worst record in the NRL. It hints of frustration and lack of mental toughness. Penalties allow Wests Tigers to piggyback their way up field off repeat sets.

Namedrop hooker Robbie Farah and lock Dene Halatau when they are in dummy-half. They are the dangerous runners.

Every Wests Tigers break comes from a short ball, an inside pass or an offload, usually to fullback Brett Hodgson, the best support player in the NRL. Close it down before they create their second-phase play.

Communicate in defence at scrums. Wests Tigers have more scrum moves than any club. When Benji Marshall packs in as lock, it's danger time.

Shagsta

Juniors
Sounds like (from a Wests Tigers perspective) he's based his article on the last two games. There is so much wrong with that article. What a clown.

Shagsta

Juniors
They are, at best, a 60-minute team. The Dragons play for 80.

It's been well documented that the Dragons don't play for the whole 80 minutes.

Every Wests Tigers break comes from a short ball, an inside pass or an offload, usually to fullback Brett Hodgson

Rubbish. All of our backs make breaks, especially Richards who is always lurking out on the wing after we spread it wide.

When Benji Marshall packs in as lock, it's danger time.

Wow he saw that ONE try against the Cowboys a fortnight ago, he must be an expert.

Ribs

Bench
Its also been well documented that we have significantly improved in the area of playing for the 80 minutes.

It was made in comparison to the Broncos which were gone three months ago.

Richards lurking out on the wing? Isnt he a winger?

Masters is a former coach and master tactician..... you are?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
By 80 minutes I think its in reference to the patience that been shown of late. Even when they are behind on the scoreboard, they still pace themselves and grind away.

But for sure, in the past Saints have been known to doze off for 20 minutes. I just don't think its that evident of late.

brokendigit

Juniors
Fair assessment Shagsta.

However - I think the Dragons have improved significantly in the 'play for 80 mins' area. I think Roy's comment is more about them playing well for longer patches than the Tigers, perhaps?

But your comment about him being an expert? Um, in your words " I think it's been well documented" that he is...

Shagsta

Juniors
I'm not arguing about his knowledge of the game. Of course he knows more than I'll ever know about Rugby League, but some of the things he said in that article I feel were inaccurate/incorrect.

Ribs: You're missing the point. Yes, Richards is a winger. Masters says Tigers make all their breaks from short balls and inside passes, which I disagree with. We make plenty of breaks from quick hands and long cut-out passes hitting the men near the sideline.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Shagsta said:
Ribs: You're missing the point. Yes, Richards is a winger. Masters says Tigers make all their breaks from short balls and inside passes, which I disagree with. We make plenty of breaks from quick hands and long cut-out passes hitting the men near the sideline.

You mean, on the wing?? :shock:

simon says

First Grade
I thought it was an excellent article.....Ive always liked thirsty,only journo that actually writes something interesting and worth reading.

The other journos should take note IMO.

Shagsta

Juniors
Southernsaint said:
You mean, on the wing?? :shock:

I know it may be hard to believe, but Wests Tigers' wingers have a shock tactic of staying out on the wing! Dragons beware this weekend.

sharknows

Bench
Southernsaint said:
Good old Roy, always a Saint...

Don't know if that is totally true - I heard Roy on the radio recently talking about his coaching days and his enthusiasm was all for the old wests days. In fact he singled out his 2 favourite players as Tommy Roudonikous and Les Boyd.

Wobbygong

First Grade
Just on Masters article, I agree don't think the Tigers will like a tough 80 minute semi final dogfight.

If they are prevented from scoring free flowing points, you watch Marshall, Prince & Co will tense up and start throwing wide 'hail mary' balls over the sideline, watch how Melbourne dominated them a couple of weeks back, they were outmuscled and not willing to dig in for an arm wrestle.

I think our biggest task is to make it a game like that, and don't get sucked in to the soft option touch footy crap they like, if we can make it a dog fight I am confident we'll come out on top.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
One factor will be Mander's low tolerance of slack markers not standing square. WT run from dummy half a fair bit will try and draw the marker defence wide. Wouldn't be surprised to see a few penalties against us in this area.

borat

Bench
IMO had the Broncos had any sort of attack in that game in the Tigers 20 the broncos would have led by 20 come half time. But because Seymour and Lockyer have been so inept and just plain hopeless over the 2nd half of the comp they couldn't convert their chances. The Tigers soaked up the pressure with some good scrambling defence and ran away with it.

If we can convert our chances, which we certainly are a 1000 times better than the broncos at it, we will win.

Godz Illa

Coach
We should also note Gus Gould's "Grand design to put Tigers in decider". From the same paper.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/guss-grand-design-to-put-tigers-in-decider/2005/09/22/1126982178870.html

WESTS TIGERS

Their football style is now firmly ingrained but I'd specifically drill three things in particular for defence. Firstly, the Tigers' line needs to move up straighter than it has recently. More perpendicular to the sidelines.

They are guilty of sitting back or sliding too quickly when under pressure, exposing themselves to footwork and inside passes. Secondly, they must prevent off-loads. Kill the ball at first impact. Deny the Dragons the roll-on they get from second-phase play. Finally, take no dummies. Concentrate on the man with the ball.

They must stress the go-forward element in attack. I'd plan most of this from dummy half using angle runs, options and support play so the Dragons forwards can't gang tackle. They must anticipate and take advantage of quick play-the-balls. Opportunities will be limited so stay alert. I'm confident this plan suits the Tigers.

The Dragons' outside backs come up quickly in defence, so limit throwing long passes in our own half. Keep it short. Go forward straight from the play-the-ball. Mark Gasnier and Colin Best don't always move together in defence, leaving a gap between them. Moving the ball to our left with good decoy runners could prove fruitful.

The Tigers should kick earlier in the tackle count when coming out of trouble because waiting until tackle five allows the Dragons time to apply pressure to their kicker.
I'd encourage short kicks behind the Dragons' up-and-in defence early in the game to keep them in two minds.

Test Best and fullback Clint Greenshields with plenty of bombs.

To be honest, though, I'm really confident in the Tigers' ability to score points. I wouldn't want to over-coach the attack this week. My major focus for this preparation would be instilling the self-belief in the players that this game will be won.

I'd concentrate on developing the necessary attitude and the attitude control that players will need during this game. Players would rehearse positive thought processes to help them deal with the myriad things, good and bad, that can occur during the 80 minutes.

Confidence-wise, I would provide them with plenty of pictures so their brains actually see themselves winning this game. Confidence and self-belief would ensure they nail it when they get in the position to win.

Winning is 90 per cent mental. You can break the other 10 per cent up any way you like.

Father Ted

First Grade
simon says said:
I thought it was an excellent article.....Ive always liked thirsty,only journo that actually writes something interesting and worth reading.

The other journos should take note IMO.

Thirsty was Chris Johns not Roy Masters..btw.

magpiemax

Juniors
brokendigit said:
from SMH.com.au

By: Roy Masters

The Dragons have the best record in the NRL in dogfights. OK, they are playing Tigers (with a lot of Magpie) but rugby league defines a dogfight as a 300-plus game - a match that involves over 300 play-the-balls.
St George Illawarra have played seven 300-plus games recently and won all of them. Wests Tigers haven't been in a dogfight yet.

The first 10 minutes of the Broncos match shaped like one but when Wests Tigers scored an avalanche of tries, the time taken for goal kicking rendered a 300-plus impossible.

If the Dragons draw Wests Tigers into a high intensity, end-to-end game, they will win.

The Broncos made five line breaks against Wests Tigers in the first 20 minutes, all from short passes around the rucks and switch balls to their big men, but lacked support from the younger backs. However, the Broncos had no puff in the next 20. They are, at best, a 60-minute team. The Dragons play for 80.

Their excellent bench allows them to rotate forwards, meaning their big men can stay fresh for ruck-splitting runs late in the first half.

The Dragons have no inherent weaknesses in skill, size or speed but must counter Wests Tigers' rushing defence and offloading skills.

In attack, the Dragons must keep props Jason Ryles and Luke Bailey fresh for when the Wests Tigers pack tires. When the starting props aren't there, they need to maintain the power of the pack, going forward, taking the example of Dean Young, who always manages to hit the deck stomach down to allow a quick play-the-ball.

And use nippy backs for dummy-half runs on the third and fourth tackle, darting forward at the retreating defence. This will allow Ryles and Bailey to split them on the next tackle.

Halves Ben Hornby and Trent Barrett will then have an additional three to four seconds to assess where to run, or pass against a back-pedalling defence, or spot the fullback and kick.

They must be willing to kick behind Wests Tigers' rushing defence to cause hesitation.

In defence, the Dragons must not concede penalties for holding down, particularly in the forwards. The Dragons have the worst record in the NRL. It hints of frustration and lack of mental toughness. Penalties allow Wests Tigers to piggyback their way up field off repeat sets.

Namedrop hooker Robbie Farah and lock Dene Halatau when they are in dummy-half. They are the dangerous runners.

Every Wests Tigers break comes from a short ball, an inside pass or an offload, usually to fullback Brett Hodgson, the best support player in the NRL. Close it down before they create their second-phase play.

Communicate in defence at scrums. Wests Tigers have more scrum moves than any club. When Benji Marshall packs in as lock, it's danger time.
Senility will get you nowhere Roy.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
magpiemax said:
Senility will get you nowhere Roy.
Yeah well, not everyone can be as on the ball as yourself.

From what I understand the same applies to anyone unfortunate enough to descend into senility. Not very respectful to a former St George and Western Suburbs coach.