What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Matty Johns Show: Thursdays @ 7.30pm on 7

Outlaw Pete

Juniors
Voss starts 'things you might have missed' . I switch off. Some TV 'personalities' become so over exposed. Limit Voss to calling games and the Roast.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Are you f**king kidding?

Until the Controversy Corner segment, it's some of the worst TV I've ever watched.

yawn

Juniors
I dont like the NT advertisements with the young lady visiting tourist destinations. I wish they could get different ads like simple beer ads on the only channel seven shows.

axl rose

Bench
Whats with this Don Burke character. Its gone from a simple spoof of a garden show to people puking on each other and guts everywhere, limbs being removed with a chainsaw & now a decapitation.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Has anyone heard whether it'll be back in 2011 ? I saw a promo for Channel 7's Thursday night line-up & it was all American shows.

bartman

Immortal
I think I read somewhere late last year that Johns was keen to try a straight-up comedy show, rather than a mixed league/skit show? Could be wrong though...

Personally I'd be surprised if that show was included in the schedules for 2011. Unless 7 are still keen to bid for the NRL free-to-air rights and feel they have to have some existing league content to show their "commitment".

nrlnrl

First Grade
ok, what about the Sunday league show ? It seemed to be a reasonable attempt at discussing league. I thought Ch7 was very keen to have a crack at NRL in the next tv deal. There were stories about David Leckie wanting to break up Ch9's FTA monopoly & money being no barrier to achieving this.

El Diablo

Post Whore
there was this http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...elevision-sitcom/story-e6frewt0-1225976170439

Now Matty Johns has a try at writing television sitcom

* By RICHARD CLUNE
* December 26, 2010 12:00AM

FORMER league star Matty Johns wants to move away from on-screen funny man to become a TV scriptwriter - and has already penned two sitcoms he hopes to sell to the major networks.

And Johns, who teamed up with adman John Singleton last year to produce his self-titled footy program, has enlisted promoter Glenn Wheatley to help flog the new shows.

Johns is also in the middle of a wrangle with Seven over what time his footy show will air next year. Seven wants to push the program back to 10.30pm after a disappointing first year, but the Johns camp is strongly resisting the later Thursday night slot.

Meantime, The Sunday Telegraph can reveal Wheatley, who has been revived by Singleton after spending 10 months in jail on tax fraud, has been shopping the Johns sitcoms to the other networks.

Johns, who developed a number of popular comic characters for his footy show, said he wants to "phase out" his on-camera appearances to concentrate on writing.

"People raise an eyebrow when they hear about a footballer writing, but I've always thought about moving on and I'm not ruling anything out.

"I've played footy since I was five and I love it; I watch every game still. Maybe I've got one or two years in the game, I dunno mate, and then see what else is out there."

Jack Thompson and Frontline actor Tiriel Mora have already signalled their interest in one Johns script, which explores the inner workings of a television network.

Johns said some characters would be recognisable. "You can see some of the characters of the industry, the Packers and all that, in it.

Johns, a former Newcastle Knights player, formed a TV production company with advertising mogul Singleton last year to produce The Matty Johns Show.

With Wheatley's help, the 39-year-old hopes the new show will air by 2012.

He confirmed negotiations were ongoing about Seven's desire to move the Johns footy show to the later 10.30pm slot next year.

A production source said the proposed move had "annoyed" Singleton and that it "would not be happening".