What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The meaning of a Cronulla premiership

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
In my previous post about Memories of the Sharkies, I want Cronulla to win and win well in memory of my friends who had affiliation with club.

As I'm living in Melbourne now, I had the pleasure of meeting the full Storm squad at where I work. They were there to wish the Islander boys in their quest for Yawnion's Wallaby tryouts.

Tahu Harris and Kevin Proctor aren't any bigger than me. Cam Smith surprised me. As big as me! A f**king hooker! I wanted to whisper in his ear "40 nil" but I held back.

Munster is a total tosser, otherwise the other dudes were true gentlemen.

Go dem f**king Sharkies!!!!!!

Easily will be going with Sharks over Storm, they waited far too long for there first and with my team getting there first. It would be nice to have back-to back new premiers, Storm had there premierships and still indifference from the 'sporting capital' besides finals time all that success hasn't translated into great regular season crowds consistently over it's existence.

Despite the likes of Gallen/Fifita/Ennis in the squad I still prefer Sharks over Storm. Recall, when Cronulla was always bought up in jest for relocation to Perth I think those days are long gone.

Pantherjim.

Referee
What would a Cronulla premiership mean for rugby league? When Souths won it a few years ago, I was sad because it broke a long string of failure for that club and made Russell Crowe happy.
That feeling that I felt for Souths would be nothing compared to if Cronulla won it. A Cronulla premiership would be the worst result in the history of sport. All of those stories about Cronulla failure would just fly away in the dust. Rugby league would lose some of this rich tradition and be poorer for it.
Melbourne or Canberra, please save world sport!!!!!

Lol! You truly are a d*ckhead.

Cronulla winning their first premiership would be disasterous for the sport? Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

At least Cronulla don't need to cheat by rorting the salary cap whilst the NRL have turned a blind eye to it as they have in the storm's situation.

I've blown more intelligent substances than yourself into snot rags.

drago brelli

Bench
I live in a suburb just back from the beach and it will be a once in a life time experience to stand back and witness the build up. By Friday this place will be delirious. The expectation on the team by the fans will be enormous. I just fear what will be the fall out if they lose, 50 years is a long time to wait. If they win, though, and I owned that tattoo shop in that arcade off the Mall I would stay open for 48 hours cause the local here love their tatts.

The_Shield

Juniors
At least Cronulla don't need to cheat by rorting the salary cap whilst the NRL have turned a blind eye to it as they have in the storm's situation.

Lol. Your joking right? If stripping the Storm of 2 premierships, fining them millions of dollars and making them play 20 rounds for no points is turning a blind eye, then I would love to see what coming down hard on a team looks like.

And while the Sharks haven't rorted the cap, they did juice up all their players with performance enhancing drugs

Knightmare

Coach
Difference is that players on performance enhancing drugs will still be signed elsewhere because of salary-cap constraints. This Sharks team haven't got this far because of peptides- they've got this far because they're a well-coached, well-drilled team.

I doubt the Storm would've managed to keep Slater, Cronk and Smith together in the one squad if they hadn't been rorting the cap in the first place. Sure they can argue they had to offload Inglis, but still they got to keep a rep spine that's been the powerhouse behind their decade of success...

The_Shield

Juniors
They managed to keep all three in the 6 years since then while staying under the cap. And all three have been chased hard by other teams. Melbourne keeping Slater, Cronk and Smith is no different to the Warriors having RTS, Johnson and Luke. And now they've even added Foran

myrrh ken

First Grade
Fugg all of this crap. We will win it because we will earn it. Plenty of deserving teams miss out. Plenty of undeserving teams snatch it

BranVan3000

Coach
Difference is that players on performance enhancing drugs will still be signed elsewhere because of salary-cap constraints. This Sharks team haven't got this far because of peptides- they've got this far because they're a well-coached, well-drilled team.

I doubt the Storm would've managed to keep Slater, Cronk and Smith together in the one squad if they hadn't been rorting the cap in the first place. Sure they can argue they had to offload Inglis, but still they got to keep a rep spine that's been the powerhouse behind their decade of success...
Both teams are still too close to their scandals for me to ever support them as a neutral

Storm are the same team and coach who rorted the cap. Sharks are still the same team and coach who decided to use peptides. Sharks are even worse because at least there is some believability in the coach and players of Storm not being aware of the illegal cap practices happening behind the scenes. And they copped a big punishment on the wrist and never really played the victim.

The players and coaches at Cronulla consciously injected drugs and then played the victim card the whole time after being caught

Lebbo73

Bench
Storm will win easy. Sharks can't handle Melbourne's structured style because it is better than Cronulla's. The only way the Sharks win is if the NRL insist on another fairytale. Refs decide a lot of games these days.

millersnose

Post Whore
What would a Cronulla premiership mean for rugby league? When Souths won it a few years ago, I was sad because it broke a long string of failure for that club and made Russell Crowe happy.
That feeling that I felt for Souths would be nothing compared to if Cronulla won it. A Cronulla premiership would be the worst result in the history of sport. All of those stories about Cronulla failure would just fly away in the dust. Rugby league would lose some of this rich tradition and be poorer for it.
Melbourne or Canberra, please save world sport!!!!!
Haha

Love the passion

The fake boy band team, the storm, need some sort of support I guess

Someguy

First Grade

Let them get signed by other teams and watch the performance drop once off the drugs. No loss just sign another average player load em up and make them good. Silly argument drug cheating is as advantageous or more so than salary cap rotting.

Both teams are hopefully clean of cheating now so who really cares. Cronulla have got where they are through buying some not so popular players and getting good performances out of them. Storm have the big 3 and a habit of unearthing above average players to put around them, add some unfashionable journeymen to that and it has made a team that consistently performs well