What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Memorable Eels Games Thread

strider

Post Whore
If you were sitting in the eastern Bradman stand corner, then I was there with you.

I got there at 3am with my Dad to line up.
I was in that corner, up in that weird little green stand/covered area where the scorebaord now is

emjaycee

Coach
Ahh, in front of the old Hill. Sat about there for the 86 SofO decider.

I sat in the Paddo Hill for the 79 grand final (Dogs v St George)....my dad bought tickets for a bus trip from Coffs to the GF and back. The trip home was delayed coz some old merkin puked in the bus toilet, then flushed and only then realised that he'd flushed his dentures onto the highway somewhere near Buladelah. They actually went back and got people to search for the teeth.
We sat in pretty much the same spot for 81-83 and then moved behind the posts at the Randwick end for 84 and 86.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
One of my memorable Eels games happened on my 16th birthday, Leichhart Oval 2001. I been to this ground a couple of times and walked away empty handed, no matter where the Tigers (both Wests Tigers and Balmain) are on the ladder it seemed like a hard place to play there.

But on this occasion, we came out of the blocks 100 miles an hour. Tries to Moodie, Cayless, Solomona and Taylor. I think the half time score was 30-0. Taylor kicked 11 from 11 that day, everything was just perfect that day. Full time score was 66-12.
I remember watching that one on TV. Phenomenal point scoring effort.

Also remember Parra beating Brisbane 68-22 in 2007. That was equally surreal.

T.S Quint

Coach
Flogging the Magpies 68-10 in our last ever regular season game at Campbelltown.

That was a bit of fun.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I remember watching that one on TV. Phenomenal point scoring effort.

Also remember Parra beating Brisbane 68-22 in 2007. That was equally surreal.
Hayne, Mateo and Tim Smith ran amok that day. Even better I watched that game in a house full of Bronco fans. Half of the pea hearted Merkins were gone before the score hit 50 :sunglasses:

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Hayne, Mateo and Tim Smith ran amok that day. Even better I watched that game in a house full of Bronco fans. Half of the pea hearted Merkins were gone before the score hit 50 :sunglasses:
Most Broncos fans have a habit of disappearing when their team is getting flogged. They are also pretty hard to find when it is their shout. Merkins.

strider

Post Whore
And Inu ... ohhhh how we thought we had world conquering juniors then. Only one of em really kicked on.

I remember sitting next to one of the ex posters on this forum ... and ar 0-22 (or 0-18 or something) she said, we will win this game ... and i was like, oh dear i have serious doubts - and then whoooshka!!!

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I was living in Newcastle back then and I remember NBN cocking up the broadcast just after half time where they accidentally fast forwarded to the end of the game for about 30 seconds. It was still good to watch but the stupid regional TV merkins ruined the surprise!

hineyrulz

Post Whore
And Inu ... ohhhh how we thought we had world conquering juniors then. Only one of em really kicked on.

I remember sitting next to one of the ex posters on this forum ... and ar 0-22 (or 0-18 or something) she said, we will win this game ... and i was like, oh dear i have serious doubts - and then whoooshka!!!
INU was never the same after he got injured in round 1 2008, lost a heap of speed. Shame about Smith and Mateo as well.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Another memorable match from 2007...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2007-08-03/eels-take-points-against-bulldogs-tahu-claims-bite/2521692

Eels take points against Bulldogs, Tahu claims bite
Updated 4 Aug 2007, 12:30am

It took until the 77th minute to seal the deal but Parramatta scored a crucial 34-22 win over Canterbury in a cracking Friday night NRL match-up at Telstra Stadium that threatened to be overshadowed by a biting allegation from Timana Tahu.

After a spirited second-half fightback from the Bulldogs had them trailing 28-22 with just minutes remaining, young Eels winger Krisnan Inu took the ball on the left wing, grubber-kicked behind his opposite number before racing 10 metres to come from outside the field of play to touch the ball down.

In tonight's other round 21 clash, St George Illawarra scored four tries to one to comfortably account for the Knights 20-4 in Newcastle.

In Sydney, Inu's try was a remarkable end to a remarkable game, which featured 10 tries in total and had more than its share of incidents and controversies, the most notable of which was a biting allegation against Bulldogs interchange forward Brad Morrin.

The Eels took an 18-10 lead into half-time, but the main talking point of the opening stanza came just minutes from the break, when Eels centre Tahu accused Morrin of biting him on the arm. Morrin was placed on report by referee Sean Hampstead.

Parramatta lodged an official complaint after the match, and Tahu told ABC Grandstand after the match he stood by the claim.

"I felt a bee sting on the back of my arm," he said.

"He apologised earlier but it's just something that's going to happen during the week.

"It'll probably be a pretty big story, whatever happens during the week happens."

Parramatta scored three tries to two in the second half to hold off the committed Bulldogs, who drew to within a converted try late in the game before Inu's freakish individual effort.

Ben Smith's try in the 46th minute stretched the Eels lead to 24-10, but Canterbury hit back three minutes later when winger Cameron Phelps posted his second try of the night after collecting a Willie Tonga grubber-kick.

Tahu then seemed to have ended the contest with his four-pointer 17 minutes from time, but the Bulldogs kept coming with a try to Darryl Millard in the 68th minute.

Hazem El Masri's conversion pegged back the Eels' lead to six before Inu put the result beyond doubt three minutes from time.

First half
The Bulldogs got off to the worst possible start when they failed to field the ball from the opening kick-off, giving Parramatta a set of six 10 metres out.

The Eels did not waste the chance, big prop Fui Fui Moi Moi crashing over under the posts for a 6-0 lead after two minutes.

The visitors were in again five minutes later, winger Eric Grothe crossing on the right wing after another Bulldogs error gave Parramatta the ball in attacking territory.

Sonny Bill Williams, who has been the Bulldogs' best player in the absence of Mark O'Meley and Willie Mason in recent weeks, muscled his way over in the 19th minute to bring his side back into the contest at 12-6.

But the Eels restored a 12-point buffer in the 25th minute when Chad Robinson took advantage of a tired Canterbury defensive line, breaking through the line with barely a finger laid on him after latching onto an inside ball from Tim Smith.

Phelps scored the final try of the half 11 minutes from the break to reduce the deficit, but there was more controversy to come with Tahu's biting allegation against Morrin.

Eels 34 - F Moi Moi, E Grothe, C Robinson, B Smith, T Tahu, K Inu tries; K Inu 4 conversion, 1 penalty

Bulldogs 22 - C Phelps 2, S Williams, D Millard tries; H El Masri 3 conversions

Incorrect

Coach
^^ Great game that one...

Another great game V the Dogs was in 09, not the the Prelim Final, but the week after we had beaten the Storm at the beginning of that late season surge to the Finals... While the Storm win came in the backdrop of Origin III when their "Big 4" might have been a bit weary, the game against the Dogs was the game that really kickstarted that run. They were top of the table at that time from memory. Fuifui made it his personal mission that night to tear Ben Hannant a new rectum... Fui was unstoppable, culminating in the try he scored in the second half where he ran over about 5 Dogs players....

strider

Post Whore
^^ Great game that one...

Another great game V the Dogs was in 09, not the the Prelim Final, but the week after we had beaten the Storm at the beginning of that late season surge to the Finals... While the Storm win came in the backdrop of Origin III when their "Big 4" might have been a bit weary, the game against the Dogs was the game that really kickstarted that run. They were top of the table at that time from memory. Fuifui made it his personal mission that night to tear Ben Hannant a new rectum... Fui was unstoppable, culminating in the try he scored in the second half where he ran over about 5 Dogs players....
I always remember hayne making a break from a kick return in that game and cayless, hindy and some other of our fowards falling over eachother trying to keep up as he ran past

PARRA_FAN

Coach
2009 Preliminary Final.
Beating the Dogs to get into the Grand Final in front of 75,000 people.

Doesn't get more memorable than that.

I was there and I was sitting where Burt scored just after half time.

And when Mortimer scored I was jumping for joy and hugged the bloke next to me I didn't even know, but he didn't care lol. I high fived a few Eels fans and screamed out "We're going to the Grand Final".

I was there losing to Bulldogs in 98, Storm in 99, Cowboys in 05 and it still hurts as a long time fan, but those painful memories are put aside thanks to this game.

Going back to the Leagues club was awesome, and full credit to some of the Dogs fans on the way, they took it pretty well and even thought we were going to win the comp. Had plenty of schooners and had a massive hangover but still felt good.

Until we win a Grand Final and I'm there cheering, the game against the Bulldogs in 2009 will always sit with me as the best one I've been to and one of the best nights of my life.

Some of the games that stick in my mind the most aren't necessarily the most spectacular. During our halcyon days in the early 80s, my dad and I would often spend weekends driving into the hinterland behind Coffs Harbour and going to areas that had recently been logged and would find Staghorns and other plants on the felled trees which we remorselessly remove and move to a location where resources were more highly valued. This included the footy season. I clearly remember our semi-final against Easts in one of those years, from the ABC radio broadcast (not sure if Des O'Reilly ran it but Reg was on it), where we really gave them a pasting. I can still imagine the interior of our car, me pleading with Dad to stay in the car while he acquired some more plants :)

bortman

Juniors
Any of the games where that filthy brand oriented turncoat Jarryd Hayne got injured. I watch them all in my finest silk underwear and masturbate. f**k Jarryd Hayne!

bartman

Immortal
Lol, I've always wanted an alt... looks like someone was obsessed enough with my online persona to create one! :D

Onya "bortman"... I guess the "phartman" username was already taken?

bortman

Juniors
Lol, I've always wanted an alt... looks like someone was obsessed enough with my online persona to create one! :D

Onya "bortman"... I guess the "phartman" username was already taken?
f1fe9dc42bfba629aba93d9f0ab624152c9928489e148fcfe424e33a78939d49_1.jpg