What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The merry-go-around begins

Clifferd

Coach
I agree. ET suited the game 5 years ago when ball playing locks were a thing...

Your Anthony watmoughs, your glen Stewart's, Dean Young etc

Play Aloiai/Twal/Grant/Sue in the middle where defensive flaws are often covered and have ET on the edge as he is one of our better defenders laterally

Tiger05

First Grade
I agree. ET suited the game 5 years ago when ball playing locks were a thing...

Your Anthony watmoughs, your glen Stewart's, Dean Young etc

Play Aloiai/Twal/Grant/Sue in the middle where defensive flaws are often covered and have ET on the edge as he is one of our better defenders laterally

I don't think ET is the right option on the edge either. He will play well there but he won't be a dynamic edge player and his ball playing won't be utilised as much.

I'd play him at lock but I wouldn't play him for 80 minutes every game. I'd give him 50-60 minutes per game. Have Aloiai or Sue replace him for 20-30 minutes and tell them to go nuts.

As for defensive flaws being covered in the middle I disagree. We get done up the middle all the time.

Clifferd

Coach
As for defensive flaws being covered in the middle I disagree. We get done up the middle all the time.

We get done up the middle in terms of not being able to wrestle which create fast play the balls, but that's because we are small. Other than that I think our middle holds up ok. Most of the tries we concede are from out wide as evidently shown in our last 2 games.

You only have to defend against battering rams in the middle which is much easier than players stepping/weaving @ you out wide

Having ET come off after 60 is geniused. He's our best defensive player and you need them on the field for 80 plus it would waste a bench spot just for a quick 20 minute stint?

Get either Twal/Aloiai/Grant/Sue to play for 80 mins therefore You have 3 workhorses going the 80 with big boppers comin on and off

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
Clifferd - it's a tough call. I get your opinion on this as well. I think resting ET makes more sense than playing him on the edge.

None of those players you mention are going to play 80 quality minutes in the middle.

It's the problem with having a player like ET who doesn't fit a modern roll in a team but he is still a quality player. I suppose I think play him in his best position and get the most out of him while building a pack around him for the other stuff.

Clifferd

Coach
Clifferd - it's a tough call. I get your opinion on this as well. I think resting ET makes more sense than playing him on the edge.

None of those players you mention are going to play 80 quality minutes in the middle.

It's the problem with having a player like ET who doesn't fit a modern roll in a team but he is still a quality player. I suppose I think play him in his best position and get the most out of him while building a pack around him for the other stuff.

I reckon Twal could in all honesty.

Averages 12-15 runs a game, good for 30+ tackles a game with no misses and makes about 140+ metres

I know this is only reserve grade but there's no reason why that work rate can't translate to 1sts. From my understanding Parra fans are pretty gutted they lost him

If I was Cleary I'd be telling the NSW Cup coach to start playing him in that position and see how he goes for the remainder

Edit - wait nvm forgot he's still in parra reserves ATM so he can't lol

Last edited:

leaguelegend21

Juniors
ET has to be at 13. He would not be a good edge player at all. Just because other teams have big locks does not mean we have to. We have a lot of grunt in our pack next year with Matulino and Rusty so I don't think we have much to worry about.

We definitely need someone like Critchon in our second row. The thing that sets him apart is speed. I couldn't believe how fast off the mark he was going last night. If he's not signed up next year we should make a substantial offer straight away. I think Marsters is worth giving more minutes to. He got some good off loads away last time and always seems to get his head and shoulders through the tacklers.

f**k me did I just see Grace Jones is playing fullback for us tonight??? I'm glad I'm going to the ice hockey.

Shredder

Juniors
ET is an 80 min player.
He starts.
Saves us a bench switch at lock.

The numbers on the back dont really correspond to positions anymore - its more about role and positioning. Whether he has 13 or 11 on his back he does the same job for us.

Clifferd

Coach
ET has to be at 13. He would not be a good edge player at all. Just because other teams have big locks does not mean we have to. We have a lot of grunt in our pack next year with Matulino and Rusty so I don't think we have much to worry about.

Too much grunt won't hurt. Taylor has played edge at test level so I'm sure he'd be fine

I want our team to be bad to the bone/absolutely ruthless next year. Sick of us having a soft team

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
In 2018 our goal more than anything should be to become a defensively strong side with good go forward through the middle.

In 2019 build on that with some good edge attackers.

We shouldn't be thinking too much yet about attack when our defence is and has been the most detrimental thing to our attack.

Vozzy

Juniors
Don't get me wrong Elijah Taylor needs to be in the team every team needs a player who tackles their but off. Kinda like what Liam Fulton used to. I would love to see us start a game with Woods Sue Grant and Ava this year. I would for rest of year especially tonight rather have Taylor play 5/8 instead of little john he has good ball playing skills and defense on right edge needs help. Love to see him used like Greg bird was.

Clifferd

Coach
Can't remember which game it was (Melbourne?) but we started with Grant, Ava and Woods. The 1st half was the best defensive display I've seen all year, too bad it fell to shit in the 2nd

Vic Mackey

Referee
Can't remember which game it was (Melbourne?) but we started with Grant, Ava and Woods. The 1st half was the best defensive display I've seen all year, too bad it fell to shit in the 2nd

Wasn't that when Edwards came on at the 35th minute mark. First hit up on the second tackle in the opposition 10m zone and drops its. Then takes the hit up 10m out from our line on halftime, drops it and the storm score literally on the bell to make it 14-6

Clifferd

Coach
Wasn't that when Edwards came on at the 35th minute mark. First hit up on the second tackle in the opposition 10m zone and drops its. Then takes the hit up 10m out from our line on halftime, drops it and the storm score literally on the bell to make it 14-6

Yup that's the one. Was the derpiest moment I've ever seen in rl history

He got knocked out and literally everyone just stopped and was like "what the f**k just happened"

Tiger05

First Grade
We definitely need someone like Critchon in our second row. The thing that sets him apart is speed. I couldn't believe how fast off the mark he was going last night. If he's not signed up next year we should make a substantial offer straight away. I think Marsters is worth giving more minutes to. He got some good off loads away last time and always seems to get his head and shoulders through the tacklers.

f**k me did I just see Grace Jones is playing fullback for us tonight??? I'm glad I'm going to the ice hockey.

Here is the thing. ET is nothing like Crichton. The good edge backrowers are now basically big centres.