What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Moylan Files

OldPanther

Coach
I agree, it is dragging on. However, this clip sounds positive, Jimmy has already purchased a house in Penrith apparently

I like how he said in the interview he doesn't want to take over from Cleary but help him out.

I think they will compliment each other well. Defences won’t push up as much when both our playmakers are noted runners and passers.

With Cleary it was too simple to defend.

Yeah hopefully we get this. The team will go to the next level if it does. Halves can do a lot more with a worried defence.

mxlegend99

Referee
He will be getting a late start on developing a combination though. All the world cup players will go back to training much later than everyone else.

RCG. Mansour. Maloney. Kikau. Whare. DWZ. Katoa. Thats potentially 7 of our top 17 who wont get a full pre-season with the team. Maloney is the most important though as he will be looking to form a partnership with Cleary and his other new teammates.

Hopefully we are better prepared in 2018 to get our rep players off to a flying start.

OldPanther

Coach
He will be getting a late start on developing a combination though. All the world cup players will go back to training much later than everyone else.

RCG. Mansour. Maloney. Kikau. Whare. DWZ. Katoa. Thats potentially 7 of our top 17 who wont get a full pre-season with the team. Maloney is the most important though as he will be looking to form a partnership with Cleary and his other new teammates.

Hopefully we are better prepared in 2018 to get our rep players off to a flying start.

That's my big concern. Pretty sure they have the world cup > some time off > off season. They'll lose a month or more.

OldPanther

Coach
Yes but look at the list of those gone. Hardly key players even Maloney will be second play maker too Cleary

Both our starting wingers, our new 5/8 and the leader of our forward pack seems like a few keys to me.

Kikau, Whare and Katoa I can understand as being less important. Although Katoa is in essence our hooker along with Wallace.

mxlegend99

Referee
Yes but look at the list of those gone. Hardly key players even Maloney will be second play maker too Cleary
3/5ths of our backline.

Our brand new 6 and ideally Katoa is our hooker. How is our highest paid player and halves partner to Cleary not a key player? Completely pointless signing if heys not a key player

franklin2323

Immortal
Both our starting wingers, our new 5/8 and the leader of our forward pack seems like a few keys to me.

Kikau, Whare and Katoa I can understand as being less important. Although Katoa is in essence our hooker along with Wallace.

Both our wingers have been around the team for years. Pretty much same team so have chemistry and are training as we speak so not so bad

franklin2323

Immortal
3/5ths of our backline.

Our brand new 6 and ideally Katoa is our hooker. How is our highest paid player and halves partner to Cleary not a key player? Completely pointless signing if heys not a key player

He said it himself it is Cleary's team. He will help as needed times where we have no idea or Cleary is playing it on the 5th is when he will shine.

We have virtually the same side. If Whare and co don't have chemistry by now we have issues

So by that way of thinking Storm can't go well due to limited pre season?

The players have trained non stop since the season ended. All it does is give those few weeks off later in the pre season. Where it hurts is guys like May, CHN that can't train

OldPanther

Coach
He said it himself it is Cleary's team. He will help as needed times where we have no idea or Cleary is playing it on the 5th is when he will shine.

We have virtually the same side. If Whare and co don't have chemistry by now we have issues

The players have trained non stop since the season ended. All it does is give those few weeks off later in the pre season. Where it hurts is guys like May, CHN that can't train

The Storm have the holy trinity of rugby league and 5 years minimum of a sustained standard of success. We really don't compare.

mxlegend99

Referee

In 2018... possibly.

Had they kept Cronk though they have their whole spine playing together for Australia. Maloney and Cleary probably havent said 2 words to each other.

Getting your new halves as much time together as possible is important. Storm players go into QLD and Australian squads together. Only injury breaks them up.

BxTom

Bench
The Storm have the holy trinity of rugby league and 5 years minimum of a sustained standard of success. We really don't compare.

The Storm HAD the Holy Trinity. But otherwise, yes, a bit like apples and oranges. But if the team unrest at the start of last year had anything to do with Moylan, then we may still get a better start to the year.

Tom.

OldPanther

Coach
The Storm HAD the Holy Trinity. But otherwise, yes, a bit like apples and oranges. But if the team unrest at the start of last year had anything to do with Moylan, then we may still get a better start to the year.

Tom.

I hope that happens.

franklin2323

Immortal
In 2018... possibly.

Had they kept Cronk though they have their whole spine playing together for Australia. Maloney and Cleary probably havent said 2 words to each other.

Getting your new halves as much time together as possible is important. Storm players go into QLD and Australian squads together. Only injury breaks them up.

Yeah but we won't do much ball work before Jan anyway. Atleast Maloney is training and doing skill work

franklin2323

Immortal
Do you know how the off season is structured?

Every coach is different but basically pre xmas is fitness, Team bonding type activities, The odd ball work with weights. After Xmas is when it ramps up and squads split into teams. For example the NSW Cup guys will train more together. Start contact, opposed sessions etc