What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The naked Emperor finally retires

Anonymous

Juniors
Bill Harrigan, the most egotistical ref of the modern era has finally retired - but not before a decade of damage.

During his reign, the powers were marvelling at his expertise... yet none were willing to admit that he was just another referee and in that regard was as naked as any of them.

When it became apparent that King Billy had the inside run, he then set about introducing his own interpretations and his own laws within the laws of the game. He was sometimes petty beyond description and on more than one occasion, made the life of the average RL supporter miserable to the point of distraction... but offcourse that was always Billy's way. It wasnt about the players or the fans... it was about enforcing the Emperor's law and making sure everyone took notice.

He never did get to plummet down that greasy slope but it does appear he finally made his way to the top of the slide.

Quitting while you were ahead was a smart move Billy. Good riddance.

I agree. I couldn't stand the bloke.

He refereed one way all year and another way in the big matches, totally ignoring 2/3 of the things that he was pedantic about in normal NRL matches.

The kiss arse this bloke engenders is embarrassing. He was overrated for the majority of his career. When the main criticism of referees is a lack of consistency he was the single most inconsisent Ref going around, yet the plaudits for his "style" were mind numbingly as consistent as he was inconsistent.

The NRL erred in continuing to give him the big matches, next year they'll either have blokes that have spent 10 years being overlooked or rookies to control the big matches. Mander will probably take over but he's no spring Chicken.

Seriously, the title of his book is enough to get the dry retching spasms working overtime. What an arrogant prat.

He makes me think highly of Greg Hartley.

The Colonel

Immortal
The arrogance of the man was for all to see last night lauding himself amongst the Union brigade on Channel 7. He is after a job in the media so he must be shopping himself around quite heavily.

I must say that the NRL took full use of him as the number one referee in the game however they didn't expose any of the people behind him enough so that they could gain some of the experience Bill had. It will be good to see the back of him but he has big shoes to fill unfortunately.

TRANSLATION

Juniors
Billy's Interpretations of the Rules, were not text Book. But they did make for a better game of football. I hope he changes the rules in some way. What irks me is, is that he adopted his own rules, without getting any baggin along the way.

You can Hold down , stand offside with Billy, and you wont be penalised. He likes the games to flow, so he looks good.

Im glad he is retiring, there are some teams that will be Big losers out of his retirement.

Roosters, Dogs.....

dannyboy

Juniors
Well the Roosters were definitely on the better end of Bills refereeing them with them winning 60% of all games he's reffed them in. The Dogs however have only won around 40% (45% if you include draws)of games he's controlled. In fact StGeorge-Illawarra have a better success rate of 46% wins (BTW StGeorge as a stand alone were about evens & Illawaara about 40%)

The biggest losers will be Broncos (67% wins), Raiders (58% wins), Eels & Warriors (55%) & the afore-mentioned Roosters (60%). Everyone else is evens or worse.

TRANSLATION

Juniors
Dragonschik said:
Good bye and good riddence. Hollywood.

Im not referring to the overall stats, more the Change in rules, which made Billys Rules favour teams that have speed off the line, and Up and in defence, as well as being able to affect Dominant tackles.