What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NRL radio rights thread

Brutus

Referee
Something that definitely caught my attention last night whilst watching The Footy Show (which I rarely do):

I don't know about you folk who live in Sydney, but did anyone notice last night the numerous ads 2GB played of the Continuous Call Team during The Footy Show? It reminded me a lot of when Ch7 played a lot of Sydney Swans ads when they had The Matty Johns show. I find this absolutely no coincidence at all, especially since I don't ever recall ads of the CCT whenever I've watched Ch9 since I've been in Sydney (let alone, surprise surprise, during The Footy Show when there is a larger amount of RL ppl tuned into watching a certain tv program).

Maybe the CCT ratings have been down since Triple M came on board this year, since they now have to compete with Triple M on both Friday nights (where they broadcast the same match that is shown live by Ch9 into NW) and more importantly, their crucial Sunday afternoon coverage (although they call different games - 2GB doing 2pm and Triple M 3pm - their coverage that day overlaps as they both broadcast from 12-6pm). You've got to remember for so many years 2GB had the monopoly in that timeslot and now I hear a lot of people have taken a strong liking to Triple M's NRL coverage since it expanded this year.

Methinks this could be a somewhat desperate attempt by 2GB, given that their overall radio ratings have declined since Hadley was outed as a bully in the SMH last month.

2GB have also been putting in big CCT ads in the Sydney papers.

This is something they never used to do.

It's amazing what some genuine competition does.

malleekid

Juniors
They did this last saturday night as well. Was terrible not being able to get the shire derby driving home.

azzah72

Bench
Really? I agree that Tim Webster is lame (loved how he would respond like a poor 6 year old child when ppl bagged him out on his show, yet someone like Lawsy would say "Go away you bastard!"). However, you don't like Paul Murray?

It's not a factor of whether I like them or not, I actually like Morrison and Murray.

The problem is that a radio station needs to have a strong start so that it continues the lead in throughout the day:

-2UE breakfast, shit, not because of wether I like the duo or not, it's because a talkback audience wants to BE TOLD, whether they agree or not, thats what they want, that's what gets people talking. Not this "give us a call and tell us your thoughts", there are no solid opinions in the show. Will not make a single dent in the show after survey #3
-Mornings, decent show but wont convert Hadley's audience because it's too middle of the road
-Afternoon is ok at times as a "magazine" show but nothing stands out, wont convert Chris smith's audience as once again, too middle of the road.
-Morrison's Drive, great, suffers from terrible lead in
-Sports today which is also pretty good, terrible lead in.

On top of that, Fairfax hardly supports that station financially to advertise and promote.

Hence why they are shit.

undertaker

Coach
-2UE breakfast, shit, not because of wether I like the duo or not, it's because a talkback audience wants to BE TOLD, whether they agree or not, thats what they want, that's what gets people talking. Not this "give us a call and tell us your thoughts", there are no solid opinions in the show. Will not make a single dent in the show after survey #3

I was flabbergasted to find out that Dicko co-hosts that show. When he was host of the non-PC show "Can of Worms" on Ch10, he just looked waaaay out of depth and no wonder he didn't last very long. Very good concept of a show; wrong host though. Maybe promoting Murray to the breakfast spot is the answer.

-Mornings, decent show but wont convert Hadley's audience because it's too middle of the road

I don't listen to it, but I do like Paul Murray's show he has on Sky News at night and watch it when I get the chance to.

On top of that, Fairfax hardly supports that station financially to advertise and promote

Doesn't make sense. Don't Fairfax have a lot of financial resources?

undertaker

Coach
2GB have also been putting in big CCT ads in the Sydney papers.

This is something they never used to do.

It's amazing what some genuine competition does.

100% agree with the part in bold. Although it's absolutely fantastic with Triple M on board, it would even been better with one more commerical radio station like 2UE having the rights to put even more pressure on 2GB. However, given what's happened in recent days, I think 2GB is definitely feeling the heat hence the advertising in recent times (still marketing themselves as the #1 radio station for RL. LIke with Ch9's "Still the One" slogan, we'll see how long 2GB try to hold on to that tag for)

The crucial timeslot where the CCT's ratings will have declined is Sunday. As I've already said, although Triple M and CCT cover different Sunday games, they're coverage overlaps (they both broadcast 12-6pm) and hence they are directly competing against each other, whereas 2GB have had the monopoly for many years having no commercial radio stations to compete against.