What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The number 6...

Arnold

Juniors
I have read a lot about how teams break the season down into 4 groups of 6 games and set a "target" for results within those groups.

I imagine flanno would be happy with the 4-2 result without being thrilled about the execution within those results.

The next block...

Penrith A
Titans H
Tigers A
Dragons A
Cowboys H
Bulldogs H

Leading into a BYE.

That is not the most daunting list in the world and id be disappointed if we were 3-3 or worse. It's a 4-2 or higher list IMO.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I have read a lot about how teams break the season down into 4 groups of 6 games and set a "target" for results within those groups.

I imagine flanno would be happy with the 4-2 result without being thrilled about the execution within those results.

The next block...

Penrith A
Titans H
Tigers A
Dragons A
Cowboys H
Bulldogs H

Leading into a BYE.

That is not the most daunting list in the word and id be disappointed if we were 3-3 or worse. It's a 4-2 or higher list IMO.

Thoughts?

On paper an easier 6 games than we just had.

Panthers away to me is the big one. Panthers are going to be really up for that game. If they lose they will be 2-5 and most likely out of the running for the top 4

Titans and Tigers have injuries and turmoil and I think will be wins.

Dragons away will be tough if they have no injuries to their in form forward pack.

Cowboys at home should be our bitches. We should dominate their pack with Matt Scott gone.

Bulldogs could be quite tough as we don't have our SOO players?

My prediction is for us to go 4-2 again.

The next block...

Penrith A
Titans H
Tigers A
Dragons A
Cowboys H
Bulldogs H

Leading into a BYE.

That is not the most daunting list in the word and id be disappointed if we were 3-3 or worse. It's a 4-2 or higher list IMO.

Thoughts?
Count agree more Arnold

wibble

Bench
4-2 four times gets you in to the top 4, so I'd be happy with that for most blocks of 6.

It would be nice to go on a run like last year though, so the last block of 6 is more or less irrelevant.

Dragons and Knights were the "easy" games in theory in our last block of 6, and we lost one and won the other by 1, so it is tricky to project ahead and say which games should be easy for us.

Eels, Canberra, Broncos and Storm were fancied at the start of the season, so 3 wins from those 4 is good, but Eels are playing like busteds.

Pre season, Penrith and Cowboys were (and still are in premiership betting) the only two highly rated teams in our next block, so in theory it is easier than our last. In practise, all teams can win/lose on any day, and Cowboys and Panthers are looking a bit run down.

Bulldogs might be a bit on the up, but they, Tigers and Titans have had tough seasons so far. Dragons is the "big" clash. We need to lift for all of them though, not just the big one.

McLovin

Staff member
Panthers will be tough. They'll be alot better than their record suggests given they have about 7 or 8 first graders returning to the team just in time for their match against us...

Tiger Shark

Bench
Flanno has mentioned a few times to be Top 4 you need to win 2 from 3 so I think he'll be happy with us being 4-2, probably won't be overly happy with some of our performances and the good news is that we've got plenty of improvement in us. Holmes is going to only get better at the back, as will the hookers, especially once Segy gets some more game time.

shaggs

Coach
The only way is up. from the bottom of the barrel.
He is a bit underdone, but he seems so nonchalant at the moment.
That drop from a shitty kick gave them field position again.
Then he grabs that one handed catch.

He needs to start reducing the mistakes, because sooner or later he will be gone like Gardner.
Flashes of extreme brilliance, followed up by a complete lack of concentration and mental strength

snout

First Grade
No way has Holmes cemented the fullback spot. The strongest part of his game was catching the highball.
There was a chink yesterday.

A chink with the bouncing ball against the knights. Or was that a chink with over confidence.

His defence? Nothing to really go on except Newcastle at the moment and that was not good.

His kick returns? He likes to run straight and hard. Not the smartest play.
However Newcastle was a guide again of a strength where he drifted and found a hole between 2 lazy defenders.

He is getting by on wing and 20s fullback form at the moment. If the last 2 weeks in first grade are as good as it gets this year we need another option.

Yep - he needs a rocket.

wibble

Bench
He is a bit underdone, but he seems so nonchalant at the moment.
That drop from a shitty kick gave them field position again.
Then he grabs that one handed catch.

He needs to start reducing the mistakes, because sooner or later he will be gone like Gardner.
Flashes of extreme brilliance, followed up by a complete lack of concentration and mental strength

He's always had that nonchalance in his game, but he still made the Aussie side.

And that is because he also has a lot of brilliance. He also rolls up his sleeves and is not afraid to charge into a defensive line, which garners respect.

He is now on fullback money, and has to play like the crucial team member he is paid to be. But I think he will. If he can't make it past being a glorified winger with this coach and this squad, he never will, but I think he was worth the punt.

Special K

Coach
We should be 5-1 (bottled the broncos game) and we have played shit all season. The more time our spine has the better.

fizman

Bench
16 in a row baby! 3 down, 13 to go. We fear NOBODY!

FIRE UP YOU MIDDLED AGED ROCK N ROLL SUFER DUDES!

wibble

Bench
We should be 5-1 (bottled the broncos game) and we have played shit all season. The more time our spine has the better.

We were rubbish against the Dragons and could easily have won that too.

But we could easily have lost to Newcastle after dominating most the game, and lost to the Storm after playing better most the game.

We haven't played many periods of good football, but we tackle too well to be completely out of any game.

If we keep up our inconsistent ball handling, stuttering attack, and patches of low intensity football, with our generally great metre eating, line and scramble defense, and line speed, we'll chug into the 8.

If we improve the poor aspects and maintain the good, we'll threaten for the minor premiership and back to back premiership. Either way, it is odd to support a team when our worst football will still get us scraping wins and making the 8, when for years we would dream of playing well and falling into the bottom half of the top 8.