What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The offical NSW team for game 1

legend

Coach
Bedsy, I can understand you defending a Knights player but Gidley's selection basically means only yesterdays form counted for Origin selection. The first eleven weeks meant nothing and that is a joke. My honest opinion is Gidley knew he would be selected by the way he was talking on tv the other day.

Seriously, to see Perry in the side over O'Hara is a joke. O'Hara, Bailey and Clinton are the form props in the NRL at present.

Gould is a joke. Give me the second 17 any day. They would smash the first 17 from pillar to post.

~bedsy~

First Grade
legend said:
Bedsy, I can understand you defending a Knights player but Gidley's selection basically means only yesterdays form counted for Origin selection. The first eleven weeks meant nothing and that is a joke. My honest opinion is Gidley knew he would be selected by the way he was talking on tv the other day.

Seriously, to see Perry in the side over O'Hara is a joke. O'Hara, Bailey and Clinton are the form props in the NRL at present.
Yeah I see were your coming from and from his past form I wouldn't have picked him either. Yes O'Hara should have been there there's no doubt about that.....
I can see what alot of you people are saying, but yes going on yesterday's form Gidley should be there.... Tahu wasn't so perfect at the begining of the yr and I thought he shouldn't be picked.. but he has inproved heaps.

sydraider

First Grade
TIMMINS AT 5/8 :evil: gus gets more rechoculous by the day, ohara not picked :evil: what can ya do, i honestly for the first time in my life am not looking forward to this game, the selections are utter bullshit.

Moffo

Referee
bronco said:
Just think of the great battle between the 5/8ths lol. Two rickety old men with bad knees in Ikin and Timmins. Zimmer frame for Zimmer frame its going to be a thriller.

:lol: Good Call

Cheers,
Moffo

Anonymous

Juniors
Timmins doesnt know how to pass a ball? LMAO
Apparently, he can't run either.
Thank heavens he can tackle... or has he forgotten that as well? ;-)

Seriously though. This Origin I game is going to be a tight match. Thats the way its shaping up anyway. Its going to hard yakka just wide of the ruck. I agree that a few other players could have been in the 5/8 spot and Gower maybe could have slotted in. But imo, Anasta would have been slaughtered. As far as Presto goes, I think he's having a great year but I can see why he wasn't selected.

Justme

Juniors
Willow said:
As far as Presto goes, I think he's having a great year but I can see why he wasn't selected.
And why is that? And please don't say because of his defence, or lack thereof, they selected Gidley didn't they!!!! :x :x :x

Seriously though 5/8 is a major problem with Barrett off the scene, we just don't have one and after the initial shock I think Timmins is the best choice.

Anonymous

Juniors
Justme said:
Willow said:
As far as Presto goes, I think he's having a great year but I can see why he wasn't selected.
And why is that? And please don't say because of his defence, or lack thereof, they selected Gidley didn't they!!!! :x :x :x

Seriously though 5/8 is a major problem with Barrett off the scene, we just don't have one and after the initial shock I think Timmins is the best choice.

Well he's not in the loop is he? You know what I mean I'm sure. Some players are considered Origin players and others are considered club players. I'm not saying there's a rational reason for this. Since when did the selectors give rational reasons for picking players?
IMO, it comes back to the coach and who he thinks he can get the best out of.

Like you I was surprised by Timmins being selected at 5/8 but then I realised its not such a bad gamble to take. He'll go a long way towards tightening up the defence on the edges of the ruck and will come into play as an extra forward at first or second receiver. IMO, he is a good Origin player and well suited to the contest.

legend

Coach
Willow, Timmins is very injury prone and while his defence will be first rate, it puts all the pressure on Johns to do the playmaking and Johns is yet to prove to me he can dominte the Origin arena like Daley and Lewis could.

It's a gamble on the side of caution but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for game I

sydraider

First Grade
After consuming copius amounts of beer and bourbon and then sleeping on it i must admit this aint a half bad side.My only concern is of the playmaking dept, johns has a lot on his shoulders here, i hope it isnt too
much for him. Im willing to give timmins th benefit of the doubt for the opener

Justme

Juniors
Willow said:
Well he's not in the loop is he? You know what I mean I'm sure. Some players are considered Origin players and others are considered club players. I'm not saying there's a rational reason for this. Since when did the selectors give rational reasons for picking players?
IMO, it comes back to the coach and who he thinks he can get the best out of.

Like you I was surprised by Timmins being selected at 5/8 but then I realised its not such a bad gamble to take. He'll go a long way towards tightening up the defence on the edges of the ruck and will come into play as an extra forward at first or second receiver. IMO, he is a good Origin player and well suited to the contest.

Agreed on all points Willow :D

Blade

Juniors
BTW,

Are SOO teams allowed to take more players than allocated for an Origin game?

I didn't think this was allowed?

I know in this instance it's because Anasta is being placed on the short list as a replacement for a player who'll probably fail a fitness evaluation, but I was always under the assumption that that once a side was picked, that was it. Is their a deadline for player call-ups?

Isn't that what the replacements are for?

I'm probably wrong... :cry:

Anonymous

Juniors
Blade said:
BTW,

Are SOO teams allowed to take more players than allocated for an Origin game?

I didn't think this was allowed?

I know in this instance it's because Anasta is being placed on the short list as a replacement for a player who'll probably fail a fitness evaluation, but I was always under the assumption that that once a side was picked, that was it. Is their a deadline for player call-ups?

Isn't that what the replacements are for?

I'm probably wrong... :cry:

It seems that way.
In NRL matches, a coach can change a team line-up on the day... about one hour before kickoff I believe ... not 100% sure but it's something like that.

Nothing wrong with taking a reserve player along. Just wish it wasn't Anasta... surely this is just a ploy to get the Queenslanders chuckling.