What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The one taxi race of the year worth watching

macnaz

Staff member
Suck it up princess, ignored the engineer and finished 5th :D

He didnt ... so go f**k yourself u know it all Johnny come lately.

When u know what the crew were saying please reply. .. I listened to the radio communication all f**king day.

Last edited:

Parra

Referee
We had Lownes in the equation at that point as well... its easy to say save fuel while ppl behind are making you race... End of the day id rather call it motor racing then blame some f**king driver because he was short 800ml of fuel. .. by the way I was listening to the teams radio and I didnt detect any agro or probs from the pit that they were unhappy with his driving ?

You could even tell on the TV that his manager was getting edgy. Eventually he asked Whincup to at least acknowledge that he got the message - but by then it was too late (and Whincup did acknowledge).

It is endurance racing, the only form of touring cars worth watching and strategy plays a huge part. Before the current era this involved saving brakes, tyres - the whole car. Sprint racing is fine, but that is not what Bathurst is about.

macnaz

Staff member
You could even tell on the TV that his manager was getting edgy. Eventually he asked Whincup to at least acknowledge that he got the message - but by then it was too late (and Whincup did acknowledge).

It is endurance racing, the only form of touring cars worth watching and strategy plays a huge part. Before the current era this involved saving brakes, tyres - the whole car. Sprint racing is fine, but that is not what Bathurst is about.

Well actually believe it or not , there was a point they lost communication , and I believe that is when ch7 were reporting that bit when the crew the were trying to get a reply from the car.

These were the frequencies for the Red Bull cars for those thinking im talking shit.
Car 1- 463.475mhz
Car 2 462.775 mhz

I

Parra

Referee
If they lost communication then fair enough, what could he do? And on the final lap he had to push.

It's a nice excuse and might've flown if Whincup hadn't "copied" that last message.

Otherwise it's an old fashioned choke.

macnaz

Staff member
If they lost communication then fair enough, what could he do? And on the final lap he had to push.

It's a nice excuse and might've flown if Whincup hadn't "copied" that last message.

Otherwise it's an old fashioned choke.

Lol... yeah.. it was always go for it from the pit , then the last notable communication was with 2 to go saying he had enough for 1.5 laps .. not sure what he could do , perhaps go for a place ? But as I said before Bathurst seems all about winning.
I just think its wrong to blame him for losing.. like everyone over the whole day they had their good and bad luck and rolled the dice to try win. Just annoying when ppl make an assumption when they have very little knowledge of the sport.

Y2Eel

First Grade
Feel for Van gishamburger.. He would have won it if his car didnt stall on him..
The Volvos would have been there aswell..

Parra

Referee
Looked like he stalled the car. Bastard wouldn't start.

Was tough luck. He was the driver of the weekend.

Parra

Referee
Could've tried this. Bit hard when the starter motor is fscked though.

SYB350-large.jpg

macnaz

Staff member
Looked like he stalled the car. Bastard wouldn't start.

Was tough luck. He was the driver of the weekend.

Its a conspiracy. .. Holden.. car wont start.. Holden ...black flagged .. Holden .. ran out of fuel but still made finish line( who runs out of petrol but keeps going ?) . They made Ford win to encourage them not to pull out of V8's lol.

Last edited:

Parra

Referee
Even got a Moffat on the podium. Like anyone would notice he wasn't in a Ford.

Parra

Referee
"The Vettel of Supercar racing" LOL

Point is, by doing what he did he ensured that a win was not possible. His team were trying to help him to win, but he thought he knew better. It was a choke.

some11

Referee
Well my take on things were definitely wrong , it appears the communications break down where all Whincups doing.

Did you miss his interview after the race?

He explicitly stated it was either concede the win and accept 2nd place or go for it, by going for it he knew full well the possibility of coughing and ending up somewhere down the order.

A more pragmatic driver would've lift and coasted his way to the podium and got the team maximum points.

?There was plenty of communication but I did my thing like I always do,? Whincup told Speedcafe.com in the Bathurst paddock post-race.

?I did my absolute best. We could have conserved fuel and ran second but we went for the win and that?s what I?m so proud about.

?There were two options in my head; conserve the amount of fuel they wanted me to conserve and run second, or go all out and try and win the race. We went all out and ended up finishing fifth.

?I thought maybe there would be a safety car, or something might happen to Chaz and I could use the buffer, or we could have more fuel than calculated. Who knows.

?But at the end of the day there?s no points looking at all these ifs and buts. We started 23rd, finished fifth and put on a good show and that is what it is all about.?

Last edited:

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Hilarious that so many Holden fans are playing it all down - and the exact same sort would have been first in line to mock Seton when Perkins and Hansford went from last to first in '95.

Whincup got greedy, Seton was struck down with a valve spring popping a few laps out.

Besides, the cars now are just badge engineered clones by and large.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Immortal
Once Lowndes was out of the picture due to his penalty, 'all or nothing' became a much more viable option for Whincup

Since the worst case scenario still involved probably increasing his lead in the championship, why wouldn't he have had a go?

Parra

Referee
"having a go" in this case meant changing driving strategy. Going flat out was actually "throwing in the towel"

Jimbo

Immortal
Changing driving strategy meant definitely losing the race though Parra. That would have been throwing in the towel

He elected to take a punt and hope that the sensors were wrong

Latest posts