What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Paleo Diet appreciation thread

BDR

First Grade
Personally I think anything that's not paleo (apart from milk) is best avoided, but HowHigh just drank a million beers so he's already done so much damage to his body that the damage of one meat pie is arbitrary.

Dis mah shit. I avoid dairy too tho.

Have been completely buttdevestated with trolling from NSW based workmates and friends despite me being very vocal in my opinion that I thought we would lose game one. Feels bad man. Also got spoilered before I could watch the game, which is a crime up there with spoiling GoT in the pantheon of crimes against humanity.

Mong

Post Whore
Paleo is caveman diet, you eat meat, nuts, seeds, vegetables and fruits only. You can have cocoa beans and coffee beans but no other beans because humans didn't really eat them before mass farming was introduced.

A mate of mine lost something like 100kilos or close to that on a boring tv show and since then he regularly seems to go on paleo diets.

Seems like too much stuffing around for my liking.

Cliffhanger

Coach
I choose Paleo because it makes sense. Sometimes I miss bread a little lol and cookies omnomnomnom.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
I choose Paleo because it makes sense. Sometimes I miss bread a little lol and cookies omnomnomnom.

Its in line with how the natural body was designed, yes.

Any links to where I can find one? I'm interested to look now.

Cliffhanger

Coach
Its in line with how the natural body was designed, yes.

Any links to where I can find one? I'm interested to look now.

Professor Tim Noakes. He was the guy who wrote the runner's diet. He has since apologised for that book and shown how scientific evidence backs paleo. The thing about metabolism is knowledge is constantly evolving hence why Noakes made a 180 and is backing paleo as a shiitake diet even for endurance athletes.

Red Bear

Referee
My friend is doing nutrition and dietetics and thinks paleo is a load of shit. It's almost universally been panned by dieticians to boot. It's basically a fad

Trying to have as much of the food you eat being high quality is certainly a reasonable idea, fresh fruit and vege's especially, and avoiding trans fats and porcessed food when possible. But the paleo diet itself is not the way to go

Misanthrope

Staff member
Reading back through the thread, how f**king geniused is paleo? Let's emulate guys who lived in caves, f**ked their sisters, and died at the age of 17 from tooth-ache, starvation, disease, or being f**king eaten by something.

f**k me, I knew we idealized the past, but to want to be more like our primitive forebears? Sweet Lord.

Mong

Post Whore
Reading back through the thread, how f**king geniused is paleo? Let's emulate guys who lived in caves, f**ked their sisters, and died at the age of 17 from tooth-ache, starvation, disease, or being f**king eaten by something.

f**k me, I knew we idealized the past, but to want to be more like our primitive forebears? Sweet Lord.

:lol:

Can I borrow that??

Sounds just like NZ nowadays tbh...

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
captain-caveman-o.gif

Cliffhanger

Coach
My friend is doing nutrition and dietetics and thinks paleo is a load of shit. It's almost universally been panned by dieticians to boot. It's basically a fad

Trying to have as much of the food you eat being high quality is certainly a reasonable idea, fresh fruit and vege's especially, and avoiding trans fats and porcessed food when possible. But the paleo diet itself is not the way to go

Why? You've just said it's not the way to go without saying anything that's actually wrong with it? If it's the grain thing, the latest science backs that grains aren't as good for you as we've been lead to believe, fact is up until 10,000 years ago, grains were not part of our diet. We're not living longer because our lifestyles are any healthier, it's because of science.

Timothy Noakes is an ultra marathon runner, a medical doctor, an exercise physiologist and he's as expert as they come when it comes to metabolism as this is a huge part of exercise physiology. The guy is over 60 and still running ultras, most of use are in our 20s and couldn't pull of what he does.

Cliffhanger

Coach

It's about eating unprocessed clean food that hasn't been genetically modified. It's about eating what our bodies are adapted to. The caveman thing is a little misleading.

The premature death of our ancestors wasn't because of metabolic diseases or obesity.

Apey

Staff member
That terribly lame joke was meant for FFB eyes only, fuuuu-

Pete Cash

Post Whore

The most amazing thing is we don't really know how they ate in that era. The aversion to carbs is counter to this anyway.

Cliffhanger

Coach
Maybe, but we can deduce what they couldn't have eaten. Fact is they didn't have the tools to extract sugar from sugar cane- we can rule out that, honey was only seasonal, we can rule out that being a major part of their diet, cows weren't domesticated until recently, so dairy certainly wasn't a big part of it. then there's whole grains which we humans can't digest unless they are broken down through milling and the starch is cooked.

It's going to be a decade before the nutrition guidelines and even universities catch up to what the science has already discovered and let's not forget how powerful the food industry is, so we may never have a national nutritional guideline which actually promotes the correct type of eating.

Red Bear

Referee
It's about eating unprocessed clean food that hasn't been genetically modified. It's about eating what our bodies are adapted to. The caveman thing is a little misleading.

The premature death of our ancestors wasn't because of metabolic diseases or obesity.
They didnt suffer as much cancer or cardiovascular disease or whatever because they were dead by 30. Ditto arthritis.

Living longer = more diseases that can occur to you (age is the number one cause of cancer, for example).

Here are some reasons in this article
http://www.outlawfitnesshq.com/the-paleo-diet/
And to summarise
- There's evidence of grains being eaten 200 000 years ago. Potato's and yams have been in african diets for some 35 000 years
- The meat to plant ratio would've depended on location, not some flat rule.
- This diet was never eaten to be healthy, it was eaten to survive
The truth is, the idea that the ?Paleo Diet? is inherently healthier ? simply has no scientific basis whatsoever. I?m sorry if I just broke your heart.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/20/paleo-diet-healthy_n_1898529.html

I like this summation of the whole movement
[youtube]qTn3eJG87IQ[/youtube]

Ultimately the best diet is a normal balanced one. If you need to lose weight simply burn more than you are eating. If you're in a good eating pattern already (plenty of fruits and veg, meat every now and again but not all the time, the occasional treat) you will be fine. It's all about getting into good habits long term.