What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Predator

elyod138

Bench
Shane Black is a good writer and director and he did some writing and acted in the original Predator movie so he knows his way around the franchise.

I think at the very least this will be entertaining.

Last edited:

Generalzod

Immortal
I rewatched Predators recently. Forgot how good it was when I was expecting it to be shit.

Also, I know people who would argue that Predator 2 is better than the original. The AVP movies can f**k right off though.
Predator 2 awesome great action film from start to finish “Wants some Candy”

Zoidberg

First Grade
I rewatched Predators recently. Forgot how good it was when I was expecting it to be shit.

Also, I know people who would argue that Predator 2 is better than the original. The AVP movies can f**k right off though.
I’m a fan of Predator 2 but no way is it better than the 1st.

vvvrulz

Coach
Re-watched Predator 1987 for about the 50th time, it's an all time classic.

Special effects hold up amazingly well, but the major selling point for me is the slow-burning tease revealing just a tiny bit of the Predator for two entire acts, it's still suspenseful despite knowing exactly what's coming. What also works is that Arnie isn't larger than life, rather he's surrounded by a team equally buff and larger than life men; after strutting their stuff as an elite force they are convincingly scared shitless but make rational moves all the way.

Predator 2, while not quite as good, is underrated and works very well in the urban environment and expands the universe without handing out stupid cop-out plot devices. I hope to god they don't go down the Alien route with this new movie, their crazy back-filling there ruined everything.

AVP was such dog shit I didn't bother again with the AVP movies.

Predators was ok, but felt like a slavish re-hash of the original and had the ridiculous Topher Grace character. Getting off the planet was a mistake for mine, took it away from the realism of the first two, it's far more entertaining when the Predator enters our world rather than vice versa.

I'm worried about this new one; Shane Black's shtick works great for oddball comedies but he butchered Iron Man 3 when using this style. Trailer seems to be going in that direction.

LESStar58

Referee
Re-watched Predator 1987 for about the 50th time, it's an all time classic.

Special effects hold up amazingly well, but the major selling point for me is the slow-burning tease revealing just a tiny bit of the Predator for two entire acts, it's still suspenseful despite knowing exactly what's coming. What also works is that Arnie isn't larger than life, rather he's surrounded by a team equally buff and larger than life men; after strutting their stuff as an elite force they are convincingly scared shitless but make rational moves all the way.

Predator 2, while not quite as good, is underrated and works very well in the urban environment and expands the universe without handing out stupid cop-out plot devices. I hope to god they don't go down the Alien route with this new movie, their crazy back-filling there ruined everything.

AVP was such dog shit I didn't bother again with the AVP movies.

Predators was ok, but felt like a slavish re-hash of the original and had the ridiculous Topher Grace character. Getting off the planet was a mistake for mine, took it away from the realism of the first two, it's far more entertaining when the Predator enters our world rather than vice versa.

I'm worried about this new one; Shane Black's shtick works great for oddball comedies but he butchered Iron Man 3 when using this style. Trailer seems to be going in that direction.

John Mctiernan.

Enough said.

Tommy Smith

Referee
The original is an out and out underrated masterpiece. It's genuinely one of the greatest movies of all time and the proof of this is the fact that there have been many imitations but all have failed, some miserably, to capture the magic of the original.

And because I hold the original in such high regard I'm nervous that this one will be a train wreck.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Hmmm, after the seeing the trailer I'm now worried.

The original had 3 stars - the Predator, Arnie, and of course that suffocating humid jungle that dragged you in.

Even Predator 2 did a good job of turning New York into a grimy urban jungle.

If you take away the tense claustrophobic arena then there's the potential for Predator to lose its edge and become just another action movie.

That's what made the original so great. It was small part action movie, but also part sci fi, thriller and horror.

Latest posts