What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The promotion of rugby league

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
S

As a former player scrums are very important tactically speaking. Granted the contest element is not so prevalent (then again union scrums go 99percent with the feed). Its the fact that 7 backs are up against 7 backs which creates various attacking opportunities and dimensions which give the scrum its relevance and adds to the whole package of rugby league. It creates a point of difference in attack. The try Cronulla scored from the scrum base in last years gf is a case in point.

Not sure why you think being a former player gives anymore credence to your opinion? I played footy too mate. Scrums are a waste of time. The example you talk off with the sharks only involved 1 or 2 other people outside the scrum. Halfback and fullback. Yes was a good play but hasn't happened since, my case and point. Maybe introduce the union rule where fullbacks could play on if the ball goes out over the sideline. Allows the fullback to return the ball when the opposition is trying to get a breather. Tries come from fatigue mostly so the more the game can continue the more open/exciting the game can be.

papabear

Juniors
Not sure why you think being a former player gives anymore credence to your opinion? I played footy too mate. Scrums are a waste of time. The example you talk off with the sharks only involved 1 or 2 other people outside the scrum. Halfback and fullback. Yes was a good play but hasn't happened since, my case and point. Maybe introduce the union rule where fullbacks could play on if the ball goes out over the sideline. Allows the fullback to return the ball when the opposition is trying to get a breather. Tries come from fatigue mostly so the more the game can continue the more open/exciting the game can be.
this x 1000%

Every rule change should keep in mind the entertainment value of the game.

Keep the game flowing and keep it fast.

carcharias

Immortal

Sir Paul Gallen is no halfback

T-Boon

Coach
The minimum standard for scrums should be that only forwards are eligible to pack into one. If the one benefit they bring is 7 backs on 7 backs then lets get all the meat head hit up men and decoy artists out of the backline. Bring some integrity to the jersey numbers they wear. You shouldn't be able to hook the scrum unless you wear the 9 or are a replacement for the guy who wears the 9. Etc. The lock should wear number 13.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
We should get rid of footy shorts. The players should wear Lorna Jane type performance pants, similar to what they wear in american football.
One indication of how stupid footy shorts look is how you don't see anyone except ultra bogans wearing them on the street. They only get worn for humour - like Reg Regan.
If the lads played in performance pants I project that we would triple the amount of women that attend games and they would clean up as merchandise as girls would buy them in bulk.

Mate, you think outside the box on quite a few issues, some are quirky ideas but I would have you on the board at the ARLC in a heartbeat

Stallion

First Grade

Being a former player gives definite credence to comments. From the experience of playing knowledge is gained. I was a forward and we had scrum moves that were designed to put the opposing side in vulnerable situations. Your disregard of the grand final try that used the scrum scenario and a number of other moves played off a scrum is puzzling?

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Sir Paul Gallen is no halfback

He is definitely no halfback but the player who feed the scrum went to the open to sell the play.

Being a former player gives definite credence to comments. From the experience of playing knowledge is gained. I was a forward and we had scrum moves that were designed to put the opposing side in vulnerable situations. Your disregard of the grand final try that used the scrum scenario and a number of other moves played off a scrum is puzzling?

I see your love for scrums comes from a forwards view. I respect that. But in this day and age, you can't push until the balls in and by the time the balls in it is out. The scrum moves are minimal, half the scrum can't do anything anyway because they're all locked in. Cronulla was successful last year with it and I remember the storm doing one against Broncs once too.

What are these vulnerable positions you talk of?

There is a difference between scrum moves and backline moves off a scrum. All I'm saying is the impact off taking scrums away for the once a year chance of a scrum play working is minimal. If the scrum was removed it could quicken the game up dramatically. It would create more fatigue and mistakes and in turn tries/line breaks/off loads and all of which makes it more appealing to anyone watching.

It also moves us further away from union.

Stallion

First Grade
He is definitely no halfback but the player who feed the scrum went to the open to sell the play.

A backline move from a scrum is devised due to the scrum tsking place

I see your love for scrums comes from a forwards view. I respect that. But in this day and age, you can't push until the balls in and by the time the balls in it is out. The scrum moves are minimal, half the scrum can't do anything anyway because they're all locked in. Cronulla was successful last year with it and I remember the storm doing one against Broncs once too.

There is a difference between scrum moves and backline moves off a scrum. All I'm saying is the impact off taking scrums away for the once a year chance of a scrum play working is minimal. If the scrum was removed it could quicken the game up dramatically. It would create more fatigue and mistakes and in turn tries/line breaks/off loads and all of which makes it more appealing to anyone watching.

Stallion

First Grade
He is definitely no halfback but the player who feed the scrum went to the open to sell

The game is already far superior to union. It is still rugby but a better version. The scrums enable positional tactics . For instance in the 90s we would screw the scrum to the opposite side of where we were to attack . This would make it longer for the opposing pack to get to the play. Another move would be having the blindside winger come off the lock to create an overlap on the open side for the backline. These and other tactics were used successfully by the teams I played in.

Last edited:

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
The game is already far superior to union. It is still rugby but a better version. The scrums enable positional tactics . For instance in the 90s we would screw the scrum to the opposite side of where we were to attack . This would make it longer for the opposing pack to get to the play. Another move would be having the blindside winger come off the lock to create an overlap on the open side for the backline. These and other tactics were used successfully by the teams I played in.

Yes Nrl is a far superior game to watch and skillwise. Don't let the 90's cloud your brain. You can't push in scrums so turning them like what happened in the 90's is pointless. And even if you did both packs would need to get to the other side of the field so hardly and advantage. Our backs/wingers are big and ugly enough to look after themselves. The other example would never work due to the up and in defence most clubs play. A 8 on 7 on a set defence is hardly an amazing move. They might of worked in the 90's but in the game currently scrums are an abomination. We are moving beyond scrums. The only thing players use scrums for now is for a breather. Take that out and you get fatigue and tries.

Stallion

First Grade
Yes Nrl is a far superior game to watch and skillwise. Don't let the 90's cloud your brain. You can't push in scrums so turning them like what happened in the 90's is pointless. And even if you did both packs would need to get to the other side of the field so hardly and advantage. Our backs/wingers are big and ugly enough to look after themselves. The other example would never work due to the up and in defence most clubs play. A 8 on 7 on a set defence is hardly an amazing move. They might of worked in the 90's but in the game currently scrums are an abomination. We are moving beyond scrums. The only thing players use scrums for now is for a breather. Take that out and you get fatigue and tries.

Couple of things u have missed. The moves from scrums are still happening. Last years grandfinal proves that. When u turn the opposing scrum base to the side away from the attack side the opposing forwards have a longer distance than the attacking scrum forwards to join in play. For example the defensive forwards twisted nearer the blinside and the attacking forwards are already on the open side . A distinct advantage. Scrums are still a good aspect of rugby league. They do need more relevance and some simple rule changes can have them once again an intriguing element of this great game. They are a good thing.

Last edited:

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Couple of things u have missed. The moves from scrums are still happening. Last years grandfinal proves that. When u turn the opposing scrum base to the side away from the attack side the opposing forwards have a longer distance than the attacking scrum forwards to join in play. For example the defensive forwards twisted nearer the blinside and the attacking forwards are already on the open side . A distinct advantage. Scrums are still a good aspect of rugby league. They do need more relevance and some simple rule changes can have them once again an intriguing element of this great game. They are good thing.

So your saying the last successful scrum move was done in 2016? Clearly an important part of the game then. Don't need to explain the scrum process. I get it. Twisting a scrum we are talking 2/3 metres at most. That must really stuff those forwards. Advantage yes but 2/3m in the whole scheme of things? Im happy to disagree with you. I don't think scrums need to have a place in the game because the alternative could create a much better and more exciting game. And that's what we should be striving for. Not union scrums.

Stallion

First Grade
So your saying the last successful scrum move was done in 2016? Clearly an important part of the game then. Don't need to explain the scrum process. I get it. Twisting a scrum we are talking 2/3 metres at most. That must really stuff those forwards. Advantage yes but 2/3m in the whole scheme of things? Im happy to disagree with you. I don't think scrums need to have a place in the game because the alternative could create a much better and more exciting game. And that's what we should be striving for. Not union scrums.

The use of the 2016 grandfinal was a good example. Im sure their have numerous scrum based moves this season. We do disagree. Id suggest you may have been a back. Backs tend to underestimate how good we make them look!

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
As a former player scrums are very important tactically speaking. Granted the contest element is not so prevalent (then again union scrums go 99percent with the feed). Its the fact that 7 backs are up against 7 backs which creates various attacking opportunities and dimensions which give the scrum its relevance and adds to the whole package of rugby league. It creates a point of difference in attack. The try Cronulla scored from the scrum base in last years gf is a case in point.

The problem is that scrums are at the beginning of a set, so no one wants to risk anything interesting on play 0...

For me, the solution is to get rid of scrums in the regular game, but introduce that "powerplay" thing that lets teams score 4 instead of 2. With only one play to score, that 7v7 would actually become a really interesting situation.

And it would stop that boring end to games when teams are ahead by 6 and kick a field goal. With 8 points on offer for any try, close games cannot be closed off so easily...

Stallion

First Grade
The problem is that scrums are at the beginning of a set, so no one wants to risk anything interesting on play 0...

For me, the solution is to get rid of scrums in the regular game, but introduce that "powerplay" thing that lets teams score 4 instead of 2. With only one play to score, that 7v7 would actually become a really interesting situation.

And it would stop that boring end to games when teams are ahead by 6 and kick a field goal. With 8 points on offer for any try, close games cannot be closed off so easily...

The game is not boring? The scrum creates a vital part and role for positional play and roles within a playing squad. Not sure you have played this game mate? In fact I believe the scrum is undervalued as a feature within the game. With a few rule amendments or rule returns like allowing twisting etc rugby league becomes even more intriguing.

Latest posts