What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Really Early NSW Team 2012 Thread That Will Be Hated By All!!!

timka4

Bench
Our props bar Gallen won't outperform Scott, Petero, Shillington etc we need to accept that. We don't have the best props in the world but we still have good props. But imo we have the best backrowers, bar Thaiday.
We can't really compare our props to theirs because they will come up short every time (difference varying on the player of course), but we do have the props that can do a good enough job if given the chance.

Fordy20

Juniors
I don't think I am old enough for that.

We have plenty of good club props but not many good rep props. Guys like Douglas, Tolman, Galloway and Snowden perform outside origin but you feel that Scott and Petero would outplay them time after time.

Give me Douglas over King anyday.

I put that feeling down to the fact that none of the blokes you've mentioned have been given any decent amount of game time compared to pillows like Perry, White, Weyman, King, Kite and Cross. Additionally, those Queenslanders would be working off the Australian vice captain at hooker, whereas the best our blokes are likely to work off is Buderus.

Dragon2010

First Grade
Now get Smith suspended for his grub acts or hope he injures himself surely lol?

We can beat QLD and we don't need Smith to do it. We just need to contain Smith and make him play an average which is not hard to do with pressure and strong defense. He will get lost, panic a bit, start playing dirty we get the penalties and errors of it.

Spanner in the works

First Grade
For something to do....

1. Dugan
2. Hayne
3. Jennings
4. Lawrence
5. Uate
6. Campese/Carney/Soward/Mullen
7. Pearce
8. Gallen
9. Gidley
10. Tolman
11. Scott
12. Lewis
13. Fensom

14. TLL
15. Snowden/Mannah
16. Watmough
17. Bird

Halves:
Unsure of the 5/8 position. I'd like us to stick with the incumbent, but have a little question mark over Soward now that Bennett has gone. Carney is a great player no doubt, and has that combination with Pearce, but he is a basket case. In form he is practically the first player picked. Love Campo but he is another question mark. Injury ravaged season and will be interesting to see if he can get back to his best plus stay on the field. Mullen is hit, miss, hit, miss, hit, miss. He needs consistency. Would be happy with any of the four. Oddly enough, our depth looks great, it's just that our consistency looks woeful.

Hooker:
Gidley played really well last year. He finally seemed at ease with his role in the side. Just beats Farah. He hasn't played great this season, and has a lot to do to get the number 9. f**k Ennis. Too many penalties and brain explosions, not enough creativity.

Backs:
I think they are the best 5 backs available. Stewart very unlucky to miss out. Hope Gordon comes back from injury fully fit. Great depth then. There's an argument for any 7 of them to be in the side.

Forwards:
Fensom. Queensland style player. Huge workrate, does all the little things, boring as shit. Perfect for Origin. Tolman. Queensland style player. Huge workrate, does all the little things, boring as shit. Perfect for Origin. f**k the flair in the forwards - we only need one or two players to provide that. Watmough and Lewis have that well covered. We need a pack that can do the tough stuff and stick around for that bit longer. Gallen, Tolman and Fensom do that. Queensland kills us every year with a pack like that. After last years series, the one big thing I came away thinking was that we needed one or two less "exciting" forwards and one or two more tough forwards.

The rest of the pack is pretty self-explanatory. Snowden and Mannah to fight for a bench spot, TLL to regain his spot (we missed him) and Watmough to provide some spark.

Utility:
Bird. Always good in Origin. Plays like a Queensland player. Can cover the backrow, halves and hooker if needed.

Last edited:

timka4

Bench
I like that team alot. Fenson is more than probable a player in NSW future. Whether he comes in over the next couple of years or not remains a question.

Farah or Gidley playing at hooker I wouldn't mind either.

Yosh

Coach
I dunno if I'm being way too optomistic but players like Gidley, Tahu, Mullen, Houston, Uate and some others will be totally different players next year.

I honestly don't think it having all of the players mentioned above in the NSW side next year.

Potentially Newcastle could have:

Mullen
Gidley
Uate
Houston
Tahu
Costigan
Boyd

All playing Origin next year~!~!

timka4

Bench
I don't think Tahu will get a run, unless he is outstanding, anything below that and he won't be selected over Hayne, Jennings, Lawrence etc. Costigan won't be picked, I think he has played his last game for QLD.

Others are all realistic chances though.

typicalfan

Coach
I think Tahu will struggle under Bennett personally. Hasn't shown a large amount of willingness to do the tough stuff over the last few years.

timka4

Bench
I think the opposite actually, but he still won't be better than the outside backs we have on offer.

chrisD

Coach
Ricky won't pick Hayne at FB so it'll be either Dugan or Stewart, form deciding. Uate and probably Hayne on the other wing. Gordon might not play wing for Penrith so probably won't get a look in.

Don't know about centers but I'd like to think both Lawrence and Jennings will run on (f**k left and right bullshit).

Halves are up for grabs, maybe Campese can have a strong injury free start to the season, perhaps Wayne will have Newcastle firing and Gidley and Mullen together might make a strong case.

Ennis seems clearly to be his preferred hooker. If Gidley isn't in the halves I think Ricky would put him there ahead of Farah.

Back row will be hard chopping down to 4 or 5, Stewart, Bird, Watmough, Lewis, Scott and hopefully Sims if he continues his form will all have claims. Of those I think Bird has to be there, Lewis next best.

Front row will be Gallen and whoever are the flavours of the month, most likely to be shithouse. Hopefully Wayne will turn Snowden into something to have confidence in. Gallen, Snowden, Tolman and uhhhhh TLL would be my preferences at this stage I guess.

chrisD

Coach
Wingers - Uate/Hayne/Gordon/Etc have it all over QLD. Boyd is a class fullback but has nothing on Uate out on the wing.

He was wrongfully picked in his debut test, but since then YY has been the best winger in the world.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
He was wrongfully picked in his debut test, but since then YY has been the best winger in the world.
That's just wrong.

Yow Yeh is a gun, but It's pretty well known now that Uate's been/is the best winger in the world. He's gone to another level since Origin and hasn't set a foot wrong, whereas Yow Yeh dropped off for a while there mid-season, but he did come good at the end.

If we were going on stats alone, than Yow Yeh wouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Uate. I know stats don't mean everything because the 2 players aren't THAT far apart, but they do have some merit.

Last edited:

typicalfan

Coach
:lol: He is a talent but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out he was picked due to club combinations with Lockyer, Thaiday and Hodges. He has potential but he never was a better winger than Uate.

chrisD

Coach
YY was better the whole back end of the season for anyone watching closely and not aboard the Uate hype train.

typicalfan

Coach
YY was better the whole back end of the season for anyone watching closely and not aboard the Uate hype train.

I am sure. Ignoring the fact Uate scored 13 tries in the last 8 games, demolished YY in terms of metres gained, tackle breaks and overall influence on games. Throw in a 2nd consecutive Dally M winger of the year and RLPA player of the year. Oh and International Winger of the year.

All hype :sarcasm:

timka4

Bench
Except in the Four Nations final. :D

Uate really disappointed me this series.
He didn't get much ball at all in the 4N. But his touches weren't as good I must admit. He didn't seem himself on the field, didn't have that electricity that he usually has. Not trying to over defend him but apparently he was really homesick, maybe that was why???

Joker's Wild

Coach

I think you were watching Yow Yehs balls too closely

Just about the entire RL community places Aku above every winger in the game and rightly so. Oh but because you say different, we all must be wrong :roll: