What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Road to the Finals

Skinner

Coach
What about if we are down 64-0 with two minutes to go. We are given a penalty right in front. Do we take the 2?[/QUOTE

Every coach I've ever worked with over the years, in that scenario, would be standing on the sideline holding two fingers up.....and woe betide the captain if it didn't happen. Just psychological.

maple_69

Bench
If Warriors win we get a cracker first week with Warriors/Storm, if they lose we get a cracker first week with Cows/Broncos.

Izz

Bench
Win tonight and we pick up 7th, and play the Panthers at their place again next week.

Benek

Juniors
But at the same time, winning today would give them a hell of a lot of confidence to know they can do it again next week.

Rebel

First Grade
If we beat the panthers tonight, I think they will smash us next week.

So will the cowboys.

Still, rather make the 8 and lose than not make the 8.

One Warrior

Bench
Win first round 2015, stay in the eight all season, and then we don't have to go through this f**king bullish*t in the last few games again, of if they beat them and we score this many points, only to fall at the last f**king hurdle again. F**k, F**k, F**k!!!!

vvvrulz

Coach
Today wasn't about points, it was about winning and nothing else.
Playoff match basically, we sure as hell didn't play like it was.

JJ

Immortal
Last few weeks have been shocking, all to play for, and nothing delivered

TheFrog

Coach
The reason I believe the Warriors didn't make the finals comes down to 3 words: Shaun Johnson's Groin. He injured it a few weeks ago and has never been the same since. Groin injuries are notorious for needing ages to heal properly. Last night Johnson was but a shadow of the player who was the difference in NZ when the same sides met two months ago. This is the bloke you needed 100% fit, and for the past 6 weeks or so, even when he returned from the injury, he wasn't.

With a slightly lame Johnson, you can beat teams like the Titans and (only just) the Sharks, but when facing strong opposition, you needed him 100% fit.

Blair

Coach
Frog, I think you're right. Johnson had little or no spark last night. He found no gaps, could not break the line, etc.

Ran sideways, then passed to Leuluai in desperation. I was right in the corner for a couple of those dud TL kicks in-goal.

We needed to score, damn it, not kill the move.

vvvrulz

Coach
Frog, I think you're right. Johnson had little or no spark last night. He found no gaps, could not break the line, etc.

Ran sideways, then passed to Leuluai in desperation. I was right in the corner for a couple of those dud TL kicks in-goal.

We needed to score, damn it, not kill the move.

I thought Johnson was energetic and trying to make something happen.

He was handicapped not by his groin, but by a forward pack getting owned and a struggling half next to him. Looked frustrated and annoyed the whole time, totally aware that half the team isn't turning up.

WithTheDawn

Juniors
SJ's injury happened exactly when things started derailing. Hurrell was injured around then as well and never really came back with the same form. Those two players were absolutely vital to our mid season success, and we struggled the rest of the season either without them playing or without them performing.

Having said that, in top teams other players step up and fill the gap much better. Our guys just seemed to roll over, lose energy and enthusiasm. I reckon a later second bye might have been helpful. Hard to say really, but they all just seemed lethargic the last few weeks - right as other teams are firing up. I was at the Panthers game, and you could just FEEL their energy and motivation to get out there and win. They had the spark of a team that knows that this is the time to peak and start playing your best. We had a similar spark a couple of months ago, but just couldn't get it back when we needed to.

Just thinking on 2015 (already), and I think it will be very hard to make the 8 again. I can't see many of the current top 8 dropping off, and there are teams like the Knights and Dragons improving in the later part of the season that look to have a lot of potential for next season. Going to be a very tough year again, and we absolutely need to get off to a good start for once. Like, winning half of our first 10 games even. Just some kind of basic platform so we aren't playing catchup most of the season.

Blair

Coach
I thought Johnson was energetic and trying to make something happen.

He was handicapped not by his groin, but by a forward pack getting owned and a struggling half next to him. Looked frustrated and annoyed the whole time, totally aware that half the team isn't turning up.

Yep, but we also expect Johnson to actually do something too. He's that type of player. He's talked up so much (we know he's brilliant, not disputing that) but he's now gone three years without finals footy, after playing at that higher level in his debut season.

I hope it's the team that's holding him back from 'true greatness'.

I hope that attacking grubber, which was flukily picked up by Brett Stewart near his line (which changed the momentum in the last ten minutes of the 2011 GF), wasn't the closest Johnson gets to winning a premiership.

Blair

Coach
SJ's injury happened exactly when things started derailing. Hurrell was injured around then as well and never really came back with the same form. Those two players were absolutely vital to our mid season success, and we struggled the rest of the season either without them playing or without them performing.

Having said that, in top teams other players step up and fill the gap much better. Our guys just seemed to roll over, lose energy and enthusiasm. I reckon a later second bye might have been helpful. Hard to say really, but they all just seemed lethargic the last few weeks - right as other teams are firing up. I was at the Panthers game, and you could just FEEL their energy and motivation to get out there and win. They had the spark of a team that knows that this is the time to peak and start playing your best. We had a similar spark a couple of months ago, but just couldn't get it back when we needed to.

Just thinking on 2015 (already), and I think it will be very hard to make the 8 again. I can't see many of the current top 8 dropping off, and there are teams like the Knights and Dragons improving in the later part of the season that look to have a lot of potential for next season. Going to be a very tough year again, and we absolutely need to get off to a good start for once. Like, winning half of our first 10 games even. Just some kind of basic platform so we aren't playing catchup most of the season.

Agree, good insight.

I think we all agree we need to start stronger next year. At least win our first game! When was the last time that happened?*

Also, what team is in this year's finals who sacked their coach this year? We are not dicking around with our coach in 2015, surely.

*edit (2012 - we rolled Parra. Hurrell debuted, I was there!)

Last edited:

vvvrulz

Coach
I hope that attacking grubber, which was flukily picked up by Brett Stewart near his line (which changed the momentum in the last ten minutes of the 2011 GF), wasn't the closest Johnson gets to winning a premiership.

Are you referring to when Jamie Lyon cleaned up loose ball and killed off our final hurrah?

We only fired up for 15 minutes, but what a 15 minutes it was!

Blair

Coach
Are you referring to when Jamie Lyon cleaned up loose ball and killed off our final hurrah?

We only fired up for 15 minutes, but what a 15 minutes it was!

Lyon? There was about 9 or 10 to go, we were close to their line, and Johnson put through an awkward grubber. I'm sure it was Stewart who grabbed it, but I'm all confused now.

If we'd scored then it was 18-16, with 7 or 8 mins to go. Momentum ours, we're home.