What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rooftop Bacardi Breezer Boys do it again......

Barkley

Bench
Some footballers are simple folk and don't know what to do on a day off.

Reminds me of Luke Rooney's infamous quote on a Roos tour about visiting Prague - the old political, cultural, and economic centre of central Europe teeming with history, cultural attractions, great beer and czech girls.

"None of us liked it," winger Luke Rooney told 2UE yesterday. "There was nothing to do. There were hardly any pubs, no TABs. I'd rather be in Penrith."

That's a classic!

You can take the boy out of Penrith but you can't take the Penrith out of the boy.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Sadly all you've done is show you know SFA.

I saw Turbo & J Lyon having lunch at the Tumbulgum pub on the same day, and having a few beers to boot. That didn't make the news, I wonder why?

Package it up anyway you want mate. As I said winners are grinners and you can dish out the advice left right and centre.

But 2 blokes with "form" spending 8 hours in a pub the Friday before a deciding origin in enemy territory is f**king ridiculous and indicative of the culture in the NSW team.

I genuinely believe NSW had the better team this series and were capable of winning. But they had to play the game of their lives last Wed. They didnt and when you see shit like this it makes you realise we were never really gave ourselves a chance to play the game of our lives. Pretty disappointing really

Righto, fire away!

big hit!

Bench
Having watched the game, the last thing NSW needed was a day off.

i think you'd be surprised how much time the players actually have off physical work, mate. time off is for recovery which is probably more important than the training itself. games of footy knock these blokes around a bit.

a typical NRL club week playing sunday to sunday:
sunday - game
monday - recovery (at home or brought in to facility by the club)
tuesday - off
wednesday - field 45-60 mins (am); weights 45-60 mins (pm)
thursday - weights 45-60 mins (am); field 45-60 mins (pm)
Friday - off
Saturday - captains run (30 mins field session)
Sunday - game

getting on the piss on the days off defeats the purpose entirely. it's no surprise Dugan is regularly injured if days off are spent on the drink. what sort of player could he be otherwise?

Last edited:

big hit!

Bench
webster is sticking up for Daley in his column. isn't Daley the guy who continually selects these guys knowing their history? there's also stories coming out now that they've been doing it in camp for years, and that they're also the two blokes that go too far on team drinks as well. so much so, they were off limits at the players media call early at camp at the star before game 2.

the manager is the bloke who makes the final call on his squad. daley's tenure has been filled with selecting blokes with poor off-field and on-field discipline issues - greg bird, gallen, fifita, dugan, ferguson, pearce, graham, etc. he has continually selected blokes who are mentally weak and can't make the right decisions.

big hit!

Bench
Yep. But they will be drunk together and a f**king team. Seems this lot was a bunch of individuals playing for themselves.

the sooner Origin becomes a series of all-Sunday night matches with a standard club-type build-up, the better. the first 3 days of a 10-day camp are spent on the piss, or getting over the piss from bonding. they don't start training properly until the Thursday.

get into camp on Monday following the weekend matches, play the game the following sunday, then less time can be spent on this shit.

betcats

Referee
webster is sticking up for Daley in his column. isn't Daley the guy who continually selects these guys knowing their history? there's also stories coming out now that they've been doing it in camp for years, and that they're also the two blokes that go too far on team drinks as well. so much so, they were off limits at the players media call early at camp at the star before game 2.

the manager is the bloke who makes the final call on his squad. daley's tenure has been filled with selecting blokes with poor off-field and on-field discipline issues - greg bird, gallen, fifita, dugan, ferguson, pearce, graham, etc. he has continually selected blokes who are mentally weak and can't make the right decisions.

Daley is a terrible coach. Fergo is an origin dud on the same level as Nathan Merritt but Daley kept picking him.

_Johnsy

Referee
Package it up anyway you want mate.
Package it this way perhaps,
I know know u are a Qlder (wrong)
and therefore as a supporter of the series winners (wrong)
u can give as much advice as u want want (I'm not giving advice)

But to imply this type of shit is common practice in Qld citing Mal being a merkin in a pub in Brisbane is a bit ott. (I'm not implying it's common practice, just pointing out the hypocrisy)

As I said you know SFA.

Not the sharpest tool in the shed are you?

gregstar

Referee
That's beside the point. If they let things like this go they'll never stop a drinking culture

They need to be harsh on things even like this. Just wait until the games over then celebrate like your life depends on it ffs
how is it beside the point?
They are adults.
They have not broken a law.
How is it a drinking culture when there is only 5 or so reports a year (and f*ck all criminal cases) amongst hundreds of players? And why is this any different to professionals in other spheres?

You're a perfect example of the audience the media is trying to appeal to - the outrage brigade.

Drinking culture my arse.
Furthermore when you say "they need to be harsh on this things even like this", you're conceding it's overblown media crap.

Last edited:

big hit!

Bench
June 2013 Mal was kicked out of a bar for being disorderly & serving himself behind a bar (uninvited & breaching liquor laws) during an Origin bonding session days before game 2. I'm guessing you've missed the irony in your haste to lay the slipper in.

Keep trying though.

i think you'll find it was over a week out from the match - a monday or tuesday night the week before Origin. as i mentioned in another post, they don't really start training until the Thursday, hence why the first few days of camp are fluff.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...r/news-story/721b986bd3260a389c9d6110727a108f

dugan and fergo were getting on it by all reports all-day on the friday, a day after the first major session of camp, and prolonging any physical inflammatory effects from this by drinking. it's just not the right way to recover and prepare a few days out from a major game.

anyway, a leopard doesn't change his spots. daley knew these issues and kept selecting them series after series. broom needs to go through NSW starting with him - then the new bloke needs to turf Fergo, Dugan, Hayne, Maloney, Pearce, Sharon, Fifita, & Graham - all of them at the very least. start afresh and build around jTrob, Bird, Frizell & Klemmer as the senior nucleus who have been a part of a series or 2.

myrrh ken

First Grade
dugan and fergo were getting on it by all reports all-day on the friday

5 to 6 hours - lunch, a few beers, and joker poker.

NSW Blues centre Josh Dugan admits ‘error in judgment’ over drinking session
Dean Ritchie, The Daily Telegraph
July 18, 2017 7:43pm
Subscriber only
NSW centre Josh Dugan has conceded a boozy session in Lennox Head five days before State of Origin III was an “error is judgment”.

However, he has claimed he “didn’t go overboard or misbehave” despite drinking with Blues teammate Blake Ferguson for six hours.

“Seems we’ve been made the scapegoats,” Dugan stressed.

He has also said he was considering legal action against Ray Hadley after the 2GB commentator alleged Dugan and Ferguson had been too hung-over to complete their media commitments on the Tuesday at the start of the Blues’ Origin II training camp.

K
18c228e760406602d43737b4f27775b7

Dugan says he and Ferguson didn’t ‘go overboard’. (AAP Image/Regi Varghese)
The Daily Telegraph revealed Dugan and Ferguson were drinking at Lennox Point Hotel on the Friday before game three — a day off for players.

Via text message, Dugan told the Telegraph on Tuesday: “Mate, what I’ve said is the truth. Went for lunch and a few beers. Never missed any media commitments and we were home at a respectable hour along with turning up respectable to training.

“Probably an error in judgment but we didn’t go overboard or misbehave ... as the pub managers have already said. Seems we’ve been made the scapegoats.”

Dugan explained why he and Ferguson travelled 80km from the team base in Kingscliff to Lennox Head.

“We also went to Lennox because we have two good mates who live there,” he said. “Didn’t sneak off at all. Got there at 2-2.30 and left after the joker draw at 7.30-8.”

90364acd0d34821280ef4add73a594be

Ferguson hasn’t yet commented on the controversy. (Chris Hyde/Getty Images)
Hadley claimed on air on Tuesday that Dugan and Ferguson were also out drinking together after a team dinner in Sydney before game two.

Dugan denied the allegation, saying: “I’m currently exploring avenues to get a retraction of comments from Ray Hadley as none of what he has said is true. If he doesn’t I’m exploring defamation.”

The Telegraph made Hadley aware of Dugan’s response.

“What players do on a day off is up to them but I wouldn’t think it is very responsible going to a pub and getting on the drink,” Hadley said.

NSWRL chief executive David Trodden has launched an investigation into the drama and a report will be sent to the board.

Former NSW skipper Paul Gallen questioned the actions of Ferguson and Dugan on Sydney radio.

“After a game, after a hard week of training, you go out and have a win, you’ve got a long, seven-day turnaround, I’m happy to have a drink,” Gallen told Sky Sports Radio.

“But when you’re preparing for a game of footy … I just don’t do it. I can’t talk about the leadership or culture of the team because I wasn’t a part of it.

“But … I think a lot of it comes back to individual preparation and how well you want to prepare for a game and how much this game means for you.”

Hadley also told his listeners about another incident in Kingscliff before Origin I.

“A journalist’s car was vandalised and graffitied in the lead-up to the game. His name and other names were written on the car in quite a derogatory manner,” Hadley claimed.

“Players were speculating they knew who did it because someone was arcing up about the aforementioned journalist and that they ‘needed to be dealt with’. We’ll never know though because there was no CCTV in the car park.”

Danish

Referee
Anyone want to take a guess which journo had his car "vandalised" with a play on his/her name written on the windshield dust?

There certainly is a reporter whose name lends itself to an easy crude pun who would have at least one of the Blues players offside

_Johnsy

Referee
i think you'll find it was over a week out from the match - a monday or tuesday night the week before Origin. as i mentioned in another post, they don't really start training until the Thursday, hence why the first few days of camp are fluff.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...r/news-story/721b986bd3260a389c9d6110727a108f

dugan and fergo were getting on it by all reports all-day on the friday, a day after the first major session of camp, and prolonging any physical inflammatory effects from this by drinking. it's just not the right way to recover and prepare a few days out from a major game.

anyway, a leopard doesn't change his spots. daley knew these issues and kept selecting them series after series. broom needs to go through NSW starting with him - then the new bloke needs to turf Fergo, Dugan, Hayne, Maloney, Pearce, Sharon, Fifita, & Graham - all of them at the very least. start afresh and build around jTrob, Bird, Frizell & Klemmer as the senior nucleus who have been a part of a series or 2.

I'm not defending them in any way shape or form, both are obviously dickheads.

You can attempt to justify the issues I pointed out, they both point to the same "culture" within a group, you could easily make an argument that the QRL sanctioned bonding session, in which the aforementioned incidents occurred is actually a poorer reflection on a team culture (which I'm not advocating).

Reports differ as to what actually occurred, the only reports coming from those willing to publicly state what happened say they were there and we not rowdy or overly intoxicated. They took part in raffles for local sporting clubs, posed with photo's with kids for hours.

I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy in those who couldn't wait to try and stick the boot into something that's a non-issue really.

Each to their own.

no name

Coach
Anyone want to take a guess which journo had his car "vandalised" with a play on his/her name written on the windshield dust?

There certainly is a reporter whose name lends itself to an easy crude pun who would have at least one of the Blues players offside
What a precious bitch Hadley and the 'vandalism' victim are.

The players must be doing a great job behaviour wise if someone getting called names in windscreen dust within the vicinity of Origin players is number two on Hadley's rant list to the heinous crime two blokes going to a pub.

Clifferd

Coach
how is it beside the point?
They are adults.
They have not broken a law.
How is it a drinking culture when there is only 5 or so reports a year (and f*ck all criminal cases) amongst hundreds of players? And why is this any different to professionals in other spheres?

You're a perfect example of the audience the media is trying to appeal to - the outrage brigade.

Drinking culture my arse.
Furthermore when you say "they need to be harsh on this things even like this", you're conceding it's overblown media crap.

15 other players can do it

Why can't they?

Mind you, the whole Queensland team can do it also.

And your exact attitude is why we have been inept failures for the past decade..keep accepting mediocrity. There's better things you can do in your past time...go bowling, movies absolutely anything you can think of but what they did

Or better yet...wait until the very next day after the game? Genius

Also another thing, the fact the whole team looked majorly off their game is a concern. That's why this is highlighted. I highly doubt it would've gotten the media attention it has now if we had won

gregstar

Referee
15 other players can do it

Why can't they?
why not? It's their personal choice within a free society.

Mind you, the whole Queensland team can do it also.
again. their choice. it's not a crime whether they did or didn't.

And your exact attitude is why we have been inept failures for the past decade..keep accepting mediocrity. There's better things you can do in your past time...go bowling, movies absolutely anything you can think of but what they did
again. how is this mediocre? they made a choice 6 days out from a game to drink on their day off. who are you to decide what they should have done? especially since no law was broken.

Or better yet...wait until the very next day after the game? Genius
given they had to back up to play within 2 days, i'd say they got their timing exactly right. after all, if they'd won & drank & partied less than 6 days before their next game wouldn't that have been "mediocre" & a poor choice?

Also another thing, the fact the whole team looked majorly off their game is a concern. That's why this is highlighted. I highly doubt it would've gotten the media attention it has now if we had won
it got media attention because your reaction is the one they're looking for.
the fact that you say it would not have received media attention if they hadn't lost shows how hollow the argument is. 2 players drinking on their day off 6 days before an origin is not the reason they lost. the media knows this - but the mileage they can make out of the outrage is worth more than the truth.

Last edited: