What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Frank Facer

First Grade
There is now an article on the Daily Telegraph saying that Bennett is back on the Dragon's radar, fueling rumours that the Broncos supercoach is set to snub Phil Gould and his Panthers side. I can't not access the whole article.

With Barrett walking out on Manly, I think that there is a very good chance that Barrett will be Penrith's coach next year. I know Gould has a very high opinion of him.

Brutalitops

Juniors
There is now an article on the Daily Telegraph saying that Bennett is back on the Dragon's radar, fueling rumours that the Broncos supercoach is set to snub Phil Gould and his Panthers side. I can't not access the whole article.

With Barrett walking out on Manly, I think that there is a very good chance that Barrett will be Penrith's coach next year. I know Gould has a very high opinion of him.
Wayne Bennett is on the Dragons’ coaching radar with the besieged Broncos mentor closing the door on the prospect of working with Phil Gould at the Panthers.

The Courier-Mail can reveal Dragons coach Paul McGregor is on shaky ground and could be jettisoned to make way for Bennett’s resurrection with the famous club he steered to the 2010 premiership.

Influential figures at the Dragons have privately discussed a Bennett comeback, possibly as early as next season if the NRL’s greatest coach is sacked by Brisbane in coming weeks.

McGregor is off-contract at the end of next year but an internal faction has questioned whether the former NSW Origin centre can emulate Bennett and take the Red V to the holy grail.

The Dragons are currently mired in a worrying form slump that threatens to derail their premiership push, amplifying pressure on McGregor in his fourth full season as St George Illawarra coach.

The announcement of the Dragons’ CEO successor to long-serving Peter Doust is imminent.

A new ownership structure is also expected to be unveiled this month and Bennett — the joint-venture club’s only premiership coach — has been targeted as part of a fresh strategic vision.

While Bennett’s preference is to coach the Broncos until 2020, the 68-year-old is ostensibly a dead-man walking at Red Hill.

Broncos chairman Karl Morris and chief executive Paul White are keen to enact a succession plan, paving the way for Sydney-based NRL rivals to launch a poaching bid for Bennett.

While the seven-time premiership coach has been linked with Penrith, The Courier-Mail understands Bennett has no genuine interest in the Panthers post, mindful of the potential political friction with supremo Gould.

Bennett will be selective with his next move. There are only a handful of other NRL clubs he is interested in coaching. The Dragons are one of them.

Bennett was on the verge of a return to the Dragons in 2014.

Coaching Newcastle at the time, Bennett held high-level talks with Doust and was planning to drive to Sydney to ink a deal when the Broncos swooped at the eleventh-hour, sacking Anthony Griffin to accommodate the super coach.

Bennett initially left the Dragons in 2011, just 12 months after delivering St George Illawarra’s first premiership.

However, he retains a strong affinity with Dragons fans and the departing Doust, whose ties with Bennett were strengthened by the club’s 2010 title triumph.

The Illawarra faction of the joint venture will fight for McGregor, a Steelers legend, but if the Dragons are bundled out of the finals this season, the door of opportunity will swing open for Bennett.

Broncos players believe Bennett will not be in charge at Red Hill in 2019 and the veteran coach insists he will be honest about his retirement age.

“I feel I know how long I can go on for,” he said.

“I have a huge responsibility as a coach for a whole lot of things within a club. I have never lied to myself so I am not going to start now.

“I am not going to stay a year too long. I am going to be like Billy Slater and go out at the top of my game, but it’s not now.

“I want to be at the Broncos, but I want to continue to coach. Everyone knows that, so let’s see where it all goes.”

Gareth67

First Grade
Going by that article we may be in for a hat-trick - new C.E.O - new partner/owner of club and to top it all of a new coach whoever he may be and possibly ready to go into action in the new year . Sad thing is that , by the look of our teams current form there is not much they can do from this point , even in the semifinals , should the Dragons actually get there .

Brutalitops

Juniors
Going by that article we may be in for a hat-trick - new C.E.O - new partner/owner of club and to top it all of a new coach whoever he may be and possibly ready to go into action in the new year . Sad thing is that , by the look of our teams current form there is not much they can do from this point , even in the semifinals , should the Dragons actually get there .
It's actually looking like it will be better for our club in the long term if we continue the fade out.

It's a horrible position to be in as a fan. Any success now and into the finals may renew confidence in Mary, whereas more losses will see us pursue Wayne

mickeylane

Bench
It's actually looking like it will be better for our club in the long term if we continue the fade out.

It's a horrible position to be in as a fan. Any success now and into the finals may renew confidence in Mary, whereas more losses will see us pursue Wayne
Morris Iemma new CEO and Doust will 100% deliver a new coach and i think it will be Bennett who will most likely bring w him
Boyd
Roberts
Pangai

Widdop to Fullback and Boyd to 5/8
Lafai, Aitken, Dufty all gone!

Frank Facer

First Grade
Morris Iemma new CEO and Doust will 100% deliver a new coach and i think it will be Bennett who will most likely bring w him
Boyd
Roberts
Pangai

You may be correct, but I think Boyd said that he would be staying in Brisbane if Bennett was to coach another team next year. I know that may not mean anything, but Boyd is captain of Brisbane and doesn't have many good years left in him. I don't think Bennett will be bringing Boyd with him this time. I like the idea of Pangai and Roberts. I rate Pangai one of the best young forwards in the game, he can play lock, second row and prop. We certainly do need a centre and Roberts would be a great pick up. He would add some much needed speed and strike power to our backline. I like the idea of a centre pairing of Lomax and Roberts to the max.

It will be very interesting to see if Bennett does keep Dufty or if he does move Widdop to fullback?

It will also be interesting to see if Bennett keeps Hunt at halfback or moves him to hooker.

We do have the nucleus of a very good side. The additions of Pangai and Roberts and the promotion of Lomax and a new coach would be getting us pretty close to a genuine premiership contender.

dragonssamy61

First Grade

Interesting times a head gareth.
It's all happening

Warabrook saint

Juniors
“Questioned “ if he can emulated Bennett?
How could they possible not already know that?
Come to think of it, how could they possibly not know that 2 years ago?
Shows their capab
“Questioned “ if he can emulated Bennett?
How could they possible not already know that?
Come to think of it, how could they possibly not know that 2 years ago?
It shows their capabilities.....

I don't want Dufty gone
Some idiots have decided that the most attacking player the Dragons have produced in a decade should go because his frontline defenders can’t tackle, go figure?

I don’t want Aitken gone either for that matter.
I want Aitken to spend a bit of time in reserve grade, or receive some decent coaching to fix the flaws that have crept into his game.

Lafai on the other hand......

Boyd
Roberts
Pangai

Ok, so let me get this straight.
You want Darius Boyd moved to a position he has never played in his long career in first grade to replace an international 5/8?
You also want to move on the most exciting attacking player that Dragons have produced in years because he occasionally misses a tackle that should have been made by the two speed bumps in front of him?
You realise Ben Barba, another small fullback, once won the Dally M, he wasn’t exactly renowned for his defence either, he won cause he scored bucket loads of tries, which if used and coached properly Dufty could certainly do.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Ok, so let me get this straight.
You want Darius Boyd moved to a position he has never played in his long career in first grade to replace an international 5/8?
You also want to move on the most exciting attacking player that Dragons have produced in years because he occasionally misses a tackle that should have been made by the two speed bumps in front of him?
You realise Ben Barba, another small fullback, once won the Dally M, he wasn’t exactly renowned for his defence either, he won cause he scored bucket loads of tries, which if used and coached properly Dufty could certainly do.

Imagine dufty with the master coach.

Latest posts