What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Remember he had a stint at the Broncos on the referral of Mundine to Bennett. He also has a twin brother that played for Penrith.

I recall a few games at Canberra that he was untouchable in attack. Question marks for me on his defence and whether he still has his pace.

Agree Life's Good
Hopefully his defence has improved.
But if we get him he will put pressure on the nrl guys

Gippsy

Bench
Just envy the job afl are doing....compared to Greenberg and co.
Nrl are dead baby class in comparison.
Heads out of the sand guys please

It's a shame a lot of old timers don't like what AFL has become. I think AFL legend and veteran commentator Sam Newman sums it up pretty well:

"If you love our game, which millions do, good on ya,” Newman told SEN Breakfast.

“I don’t like the way necessarily it is played and the umpires have driven me away from the football. No one could care less if I go or not.

“The umpiring is disgraceful in a contact sport, it is almost cringe-worthy to watch three people try to manipulate a game into almost a non-contact sport, so I refuse to watch it.”

The former Geelong best and fairest winner has strangely thrown his support behind the NRL in an interview which will again leave listeners scratching their heads.

“Rugby league is an honest, straight forward, no nonsense, tough and relenting game ... a far cry from what ours has turned into,” Newman said.

I know a lot of older diehard AFL supporters who think the same.

http://www.nospam47.com/au/afl/news/afl-grand-final-sam-newman-umpring/1opsuyb8vokpl1d3s6poil9yys

ouryear

Juniors
It's a shame a lot of old timers don't like what AFL has become. I think AFL legend and veteran commentator Sam Newman sums it up pretty well:

"If you love our game, which millions do, good on ya,” Newman told SEN Breakfast.

“I don’t like the way necessarily it is played and the umpires have driven me away from the football. No one could care less if I go or not.

“The umpiring is disgraceful in a contact sport, it is almost cringe-worthy to watch three people try to manipulate a game into almost a non-contact sport, so I refuse to watch it.”

The former Geelong best and fairest winner has strangely thrown his support behind the NRL in an interview which will again leave listeners scratching their heads.

“Rugby league is an honest, straight forward, no nonsense, tough and relenting game ... a far cry from what ours has turned into,” Newman said.

I know a lot of older diehard AFL supporters who think the same.

http://www.nospam47.com/au/afl/news/afl-grand-final-sam-newman-umpring/1opsuyb8vokpl1d3s6poil9yys

I understand some don't like the evolution of the game afl.

However, it is the same with us, no contested scrums, no more legal shoulder charges, by legal I mean contact not to be above the shoulder, tries being called back because of poor understanding of the obstruction rule, let's go the bunker and take 5 mins to decide.....and so on and so on.

I guess with us, it has reduced our crowds to embarrassingly low numbers.

While AFL still pulls them in baby!

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
I understand some don't like the evolution of the game afl.

However, it is the same with us, no contested scrums, no more legal shoulder charges, by legal I mean contact not to be above the shoulder, tries being called back because of poor understanding of the obstruction rule, let's go the bunker and take 5 mins to decide.....and so on and so on.

I guess with us, it has reduced our crowds to embarrassingly low numbers.

While AFL still pulls them in baby!

What about the following problems
1. Hard to get to the games, public transport not where the facilities are.
2. Expensive to go football, parking food etc.
3. At the ground, with all the replays and Bunker, its sometimes hard to keep up with what is happening.
4. Games are not where the crows wants the games to be. Fans don't seem to matter anymore.
5. The games are now played when it suits the TV deals rather than when people want to go to these games.

ouryear

Juniors
3. At the ground, with all the replays and Bunker, its sometimes hard to keep up with what is happening.
4. Games are not where the crows wants the games to be. Fans don't seem to matter anymore.
5. The games are now played when it suits the TV deals rather than when people want to go to these games.
100% behind you Red V.
Spot on

qld redvee

Juniors
Has the Darren Nicholls deal happened? I don't recall an announcement but Fox Sports has him listed as a 2018 Gain in their transfer centre article today...

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/b5e0ca70e85e9bc7c18fcd7ef41e671f

Anyone have this confirmed?
ISWW,
noticed on the link that levi dodd has gone to townsville .. here we are needing outside backs so we let Levi go ... he was very impressive in the cutters last year but did his knee this year . So why sign a guy for a year then ditch him - obviously not in the coaches 30 .. I feel sorry for the cutters next season no experience

Dragon Revival

Juniors
I would prefer to give Herbert, Garrick or Lomax a go. What is the use of keeping juniors when the best of them are not given a go. Mann is probably our best winger but rarely gets a go. The Club needs to fast track its youngsters by giving them intensive training.

Reactions: jak

ouryear

Juniors
ISWW,
noticed on the link that levi dodd has gone to townsville .. here we are needing outside backs so we let Levi go ... he was very impressive in the cutters last year but did his knee this year . So why sign a guy for a year then ditch him - obviously not in the coaches 30 .. I feel sorry for the cutters next season no experience
McDonald , you must mean Nightingale, he's got tobe the Slowest winger in the NRL surely..
Come off it.....nighty may be slower than Nene the marshmallow.....But you do realise that our nighty has the heart of phar lap don't you?

Nene is not deserving to be on the same field as nighty.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

There's one other factor which I believe gets overlooked with regards to low crowd numbers.

Unlike Aussie Rules football, rugby league is primarily a 'side on' viewing sport; no one really likes sitting behind the goalposts as you miss rudimentary stuff as knock ons, forward passes and teams being offside.

Of course, as Aussie Rules is fundamentally played 360 degrees, these impediments aren't important.

ouryear

Juniors
There's one other factor which I believe gets overlooked with regards to low crowd numbers.

Unlike Aussie Rules football, rugby league is primarily a 'side on' viewing sport; no one really likes sitting behind the goalposts as you miss rudimentary stuff as knock ons, forward passes and teams being offside.

Of course, as Aussie Rules is fundamentally played 360 degrees, these impediments aren't important.
Saint Jimmy, we don't get even close to filling the stadium sides either.

We get 14,000 to Homebush and the Sydney football stadium, if you take out both ends and the seating from 15 metres out from the try line, Homebush would still fit what, 60,000 ....and sydney stadium would still fit 30,000.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Saint Jimmy, we don't get even close to filling the stadium sides either.

We get 14,000 to Homebush and the Sydney football stadium, if you take out both ends and the seating from 15 metres out from the try line, Homebush would still fit what, 60,000 ....and sydney stadium would still fit 30,000.

Forget ANZ Stadium as it's a monstrosity that never should cater for club footy, however, using the example you've used, Allianz Stadium is different.

14k from 30k is almost half full, and the vast majority would be (as you say) located along the sideline,

This hypothetical scenario improves within the confines of a suburban ground.

Rugby League was not meant to be viewed behind the goalposts.

ouryear

Juniors
Forget ANZ Stadium as it's a monstrosity that never should cater for club footy, however, using the example you've used, Allianz Stadium is different.

14k from 30k is almost half full, and the vast majority would be (as you say) located along the sideline,

This hypothetical scenario improves within the confines of a suburban ground.

Rugby League was not meant to be viewed behind the goalposts.

Don't forget the extra 2 metres as Mary says we would win many more games if the fields were 98 metres long.

Any way Jimmy, when I go the the games which I go to many, there are empty seats all around me whether I sit opposite the 25 metre or 35 metre from the try line areas.

Netball isn't great to watch behind the posts, much better up along the sides, but even they are selling out 17,000 seat stadiums.

And EPL soccer, behind the posts is ok for a goal, but general game watching is much better up along the sideline, but they sell out.

League has a crowd pulling problem, they need to address it and fix it.

Pretty poor when even netball crowds are higher.

Latest posts