What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Old Timer

Coach
Well, the folks on NRL 360 have basically said we are no chance of keeping Widdop...he will be at the Storm next year.
Believe it when you here it from the club as 360 are often abysmal in their rumours.
Des is still at the Dogs despite their constant inside info saying otherwise.

TruSaint

Referee
Bullshit.

I happen to know that Nighty has agreed to a 10 year deal with Roosters and Duges will move to the Wing on a 5 year deal with JDB at Hooker, Lafai and Mann to prop, Packer to Centre and Vaughan to Canberra on a 10 year deal as 5/8.

FFS people, chill, you're all freakin me out. Just wait till it's announced and don't buy into the bullshit.

Hahahahaha.. that's gold.

Old Timer

Coach
Well I think widdop will re sign in due course , and Dugan will sign or leave. If he leaves it will be a bummer but not as bad a loss as widdop because we have a few options for covering duges as shown over the last couple of weeks in mann, nighty or field
Nighty is not a long term fix and Field hasn't played the position for some years let alone in NRL and Mann is already on the outer was shown by Mc Fookknuckle this year.
Losing Dugan will be an absolute bummer of the highest order.
We are close to a tilt at the title now and the loss of Dugan or Widdop will set that back 3 - 4 years and no doubt we would have further losses from the roster along the way which could compound that problem even further.
Absolutely paramount that the club does everything in its power to secure these 2 players for 3 years.

TruSaint

Referee
We are close to a tilt at the title now and the loss of Dugan or Widdop will set that back 3 - 4 years and no doubt we would have further losses from the roster along the way which could compound that problem even further.
Absolutely paramount that the club does everything in its power to secure these 2 players for 3 years.

agree 100%.

brokendigit

Juniors
Not so. You set up a company or trust with interested business people or trustees to manage funds donated or pledged.

Funds are collected or pledges documented. Once the Club tables an offer to a marquee player, contact the player manager and inform him of the prospective TPA. All down hill from there.
I'll see your not so & raise you a no chance. No professional club can rely on 'pledges' or goodwill. Sponsors want to know that their investment will be used properly (ie. the way they'd like to see it used) or, will be looking to guarantee better exposure (late Semi finals at least) so as to get a return. You can't run any professional enterprise on hope, promises, & trust funds. I'm a sponsor of events (small fry compared to this scenario) but the basis is the same. I don't pledge money until I a) know how/where it'll be used, and b) that the exposure my company gets is equal to/greater than my outlay. No way am I allowing my cash to be put in a vault/trust for some administrator to use when & on what he/she sees fit. In my limited experience, Brisbane are the best model, and Melbourne have copied as much of their funding blueprint as possible. Light years ahead of most other clubs.

Bench
With all the talk about Widdop and Duged there is another player who needs to be signed before he gets poached, Russell Packer.

GC Dragon

Juniors
Nighty is not a long term fix and Field hasn't played the position for some years let alone in NRL and Mann is already on the outer was shown by Mc Fookknuckle this year.
Absolutely paramount that the club does everything in its power to secure these 2 players for 3 years.[/QUOTE

Agree Nighty is a short term fix . He would be run into the ground trying to play a full season at Fullback . Mann's best football is as a centre or winger . Field and Dufty are juniors who may or may not make quality first graders in the years to come .

Unless we can sign Darius Boyd ....Dugan is a must sign in my eyes . I know the modern trend is to play 5/8's as fullbacks for there ball playing. But with hard running forwards who can offload. Halves who are playing direct and at the line creating room for our outside backs . A very smart and calm Dummy half who takes the right options almost everytime . And a big running fullback who gets our sets off to such a good start and is without doubt the best defensive Fullback in the game ( Which is 50% of the game unlike a speed bump like Moylan ) Guess what?...We are leading the comp and have scored the most points .

Millward needs to stop talking shit about where players should or should not be playing ( Coaches job ) and do his job of RETENSION of our best two players . Then get Packer locked in to keep this great forward pack we have together . The longer he digs his heels in the more time he gives other clubs time to pounce . Be proactive and don't wait to see what others from other clubs do . Get in and get our best players locked I now .

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I still think Hunt/Field could be the way to go. Experience with youth.
As long as our forwards are dominating young field could be that zippy ball runner with Hunt controlling the play.
Sure Hunt/Widdop may be a better option short term but if Field is going to be the star we expect then a few years down the track that could be a potent halves pairing?

"If" (sometimes used concurrently with "only") is the most powerful word in the English vernacular.

I'd prefer the stability of a Hunt/Widdop partnership, but I severely doubt Saints fans' will ever see it materialise.

John moz

Juniors
The club will possibly let widdop go and sign dugan to be next captain .They have the future in field no 6 next year with hunt .They would be crazy to let both go when we are building a team this year around our forward pack best in the nrl.

slippery5

Juniors
The club will possibly let widdop go and sign dugan to be next captain .They have the future in field no 6 next year with hunt .They would be crazy to let both go when we are building a team this year around our forward pack best in the nrl.
Point 1 might happen, point 2 definitely will not. You need to be able to manipulate the ref & Dugan has no respect from them. Watch how they pay no attention to him every time he has something to say, usually after he has played the ball looking for a penalty.