What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Run Home

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Doesn't really matter when they take them as long as it happens. I've been mentally putting us one spot up the ladder since the penalty was announced anyway.

Blair

Coach
It's interesting logistics over the next couple of games, ay?

After the bye we should definitely arrive in Perth a day or two earlier than we've perhaps done in the past.

Then, as previously mentioned by R&S, it'd be good to head straight to Canberra after Perth.

However, we know our boys like to 'sleep in their own beds', so the above scenario's not likely.

Perth, it's a million miles away. If Sydney teams want to take their games over there then can't they mix it up with who they play? Or does the Kiwi ex-pat population make taking us there a done-deal?

Logistically, we should be the last team dragged all that way. Obviously.

WithTheDawn

Juniors
Should need 4 wins from 8 games to make it, particularly with the Eels getting knocked down. The Cowboys game will be the only one where we don't start as favourites. It's important to get at least one win from the two away games coming up - that will leave us with 4 very winnable home games out of the last 6 matches.

It always seems to come down to this though, hopefully we don't leave it to the last round again...

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Perth is after the bye and being played in the afternoon so their bodies won't think it's midnight or anything. There's absolutely no excuses for them to be out of sorts this time. If they get run down its because they simply weren't good enough.

vvvrulz

Coach
Perth is after the bye and being played in the afternoon so their bodies won't think it's midnight or anything. There's absolutely no excuses for them to be out of sorts this time. If they get run down its because they simply weren't good enough.

We honestly could not have had a friendlier draw this year, not to mention the Eels (apparently) gifting us another spot upwards.

On that subject, how good is it that management banished the idea of Eden Park games and a million jersey designs.
Hey at least they're doing something right.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
We honestly could not have had a friendlier draw this year, not to mention the Eels (apparently) gifting us another spot upwards.

On that subject, how good is it that management banished the idea of Eden Park games and a million jersey designs.
Hey at least they're doing something right.

I think a certain administrator that we signed last year may deserve some credit for these things.

vvvrulz

Coach
Been thinking about this, I'm jumping the gun and saying we'll definitely make the playoffs this time.

With that draw, we'll win at least half of what's left. A couple will be convincing, a couple jittery, we'll lose a couple we should have won, and get pantsed by the Cows.

We'll stumble into 7th or 8th I reckon but seriously doubt we'll get past the first game, McFad will be safe and we'll be talking about how we improved from last year when in fact we didn't really.

Blair

Coach
Been thinking about this, I'm jumping the gun and saying we'll definitely make the playoffs this time.

With that draw, we'll win at least half of what's left. A couple will be convincing, a couple jittery, we'll lose a couple we should have won, and get pantsed by the Cows.

We'll stumble into 7th or 8th I reckon but seriously doubt we'll get past the first game, McFad will be safe and we'll be talking about how we improved from last year when in fact we didn't really.

OK, I'll put you out of your 'Cappy's staying' misery.

It'll come down to the last game of the season versus the Eels. They'd have found out, belatedly, the Thursday night before the game that their 12 points were officially docked.

They'll play for pride, like they've done over the last month or so, but with an extra bit of spice at the news they would've made the finals but for their board's shenanigans, and will roll us.

VillaTheGorilla

Juniors
It's a funny old game, rugby league. Of all the teams we're playing in the final 8 weeks, I think realistically only the Cowboys and Eels have been consistently better than us. Every other game I'd expect us to win.
But, in saying that we've obviously been up and down all year, as have the Raiders, Panthers and Titans. Those games really could go either way, and it sucks that Manly, our bogey team who has been playing sooo poorly this year, get a bit of form and smash the Dragons. They'll be difficult to beat now...

JJ

Immortal
Panthers and Titans have been pretty consistent I think? Have to check, clearly they've not won more than us, but they've lost a few close ones... as have the Roosters...

That's the frustrating thing about the Warriors, I feel like there's an * beside all the good performances... Why the f**k can't they just start a season well, it's ridiculously unprofessional tbh

TheDMC

Bench
Another way to look at it is that we have to do better than two of Panthers, Dragons, Tits, and Tigers.

Tigers going okay, there draw okay too, but next three games are away so that may be make or break for them.

Panthers going okay too, pretty easy run home especially the last four games.

Dragons dominating at home but awful away, run is okay too.

Titans form is dodgy and they have a hard run home.

So based on current situation, if we maintain our form we make the finals in a canter. But once post-origin malaise kicks in we are going to be in a real dogfight with Dragons, Panthers, and Tigers for 2 places.

Therefore key matches for us are

Round 21 against Panthers at home.
Round 25 against Tigs at home

and probably
Round 23 Tits away.

Win those and we are pretty much sorted as basically a 4 point win each...lose and we are fooked.

Blair

Coach
My view is simple, we're in serious trouble if we drop both our traditionally difficult games in Perth and Canberra.

jaseg

Juniors
My view is simple, we're in serious trouble if we drop both our traditionally difficult games in Perth and Canberra.

We've won our last two games in Canberra, haven't we? Then again, we had won 5 straight against them until that terrible match earlier this season. Both teams are erratic enough that bloody anything could happen.

Thoroughly pessimistic about the Manly@Perth game though. I've seen it too many times.

Blair

Coach
We've won our last two games in Canberra, haven't we? Then again, we had won 5 straight against them until that terrible match earlier this season. Both teams are erratic enough that bloody anything could happen.

Thoroughly pessimistic about the Manly@Perth game though. I've seen it too many times.

Yeah, just checked, we thumped the Raiders in Canberra 56-18 in '14 snd 18-6 in '15.

But those wins turned back a tide of defeats there.

This weekend I'm going to enjoy it being Warriors-free! It can get a bit stressful following our team, as we know.

Last edited:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

I absolutely see this happening. We'll run into a far more professional Dogs or Broncos outfit and be bundled out, McFadden will stay on and we'll read lots of stuff from Doyle et all saying how much we moved forward, how the coach is still the man and did a good job, the loss of RTS hurt us badly, how we used 31 players throughout the season (even though that was our selectorial butchering rather than a massive injury toll). And it will really annoy me.

So yeah, I kinda expect nothing less than 6th and a finals win. It'll be a weird feeling to be live in the finals and definitely one I want to experience for the first time since October 2011, but we won't be any closer if that's as far as we go.

We need six wins from hereon in. Drop the Cows game, and honestly the rest of them are extremely winnable. Maybe the Raiders game after Perth travel might be a bridge too far, but the rest we should start favourites.

jaseg

Juniors
I absolutely see this happening. We'll run into a far more professional Dogs or Broncos outfit and be bundled out, McFadden will stay on and we'll read lots of stuff from Doyle et all saying how much we moved forward, how the coach is still the man and did a good job, the loss of RTS hurt us badly, how we used 31 players throughout the season (even though that was our selectorial butchering rather than a massive injury toll). And it will really annoy me.

So yeah, I kinda expect nothing less than 6th and a finals win. It'll be a weird feeling to be live in the finals and definitely one I want to experience for the first time since October 2011, but we won't be any closer if that's as far as we go.

We need six wins from hereon in. Drop the Cows game, and honestly the rest of them are extremely winnable. Maybe the Raiders game after Perth travel might be a bridge too far, but the rest we should start favourites.

It's 32 now, we matched last year's competition-wide record (Panthers) with Bunty last week. And it's still only 2/3 of the season in, with Hingano still likely to make an appearance at some point. And a sneaky appearance for Ali too, perhaps (if we can afford to do it with competition points on the line).

Wouldn't get further than that, at least, with the next guys looking like Lino (would need lots of halves to go down), CNZ (unlikely this year without major injuries to centres), Wells (injured and even more unlikely than CNZ), Niukore, Clark & Ogden (too soon, too many guys in front of them). Then again...

lol....

vvvrulz

Coach
It's 32 now, we matched last year's competition-wide record (Panthers) with Bunty last week. And it's still only 2/3 of the season in, with Hingano still likely to make an appearance at some point. And a sneaky appearance for Ali too, perhaps (if we can afford to do it with competition points on the line).

Wouldn't get further than that, at least, with the next guys looking like Lino (would need lots of halves to go down), CNZ (unlikely this year without major injuries to centres), Wells (injured and even more unlikely than CNZ), Niukore, Clark & Ogden (too soon, too many guys in front of them). Then again...

lol....

Panthers had their injury toll to blame though, we don't really have any excuses for that craziness.

jaseg

Juniors
Yep. I went on a little rant about that a few weeks ago. Cappy seemingly just flat out doesn't know his strongest team, or even anything close to it, despite being the head coach for about two and a half years. Perhaps the simplest sign (and there are many) of a coach out of his depth.