What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Run Home

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
We traditionally do well in Melbourne, absolutely no chance in Townsville though.

Yeah I know, I was at both our wins there in 2011. They're scary good this year though and the flogging we copped there last visit might have spooked the players.

Blair

Coach
I had a laugh at Matt Elliott tonight on the ABC Gandstand wrap on Penrith's win over Parra...

"Penrith just can't start so slow and let sides get away to a fast lead. The other sides in the NRL just won't let them back into the game like the Eels did today."

Didn't he coach us recently?

Leber

Bench
sharks away Lose (correct)
Tits at home Win ( correct)
Bye
Manly away Win. ( wrong)
Raiders away Lose
Panthers home Win
Tits away Lose
Soufs home Win
cowboys away Lose
Tigers home Win
Eels at home Win

Well we are already behind now. Gotta win all of our games at home and upset the raiders next week

WithTheDawn

Juniors
All the home games are very winnable, as is the Titans away. Nabbing Canberra would be great, but still within our grasp either way for mine.

Still, please don't fade away at the end of the year yet again...

Diesel

Coach
Can't see us winning away, home we should win all, Panthers and Eels could trouble us

Meth

Staff member
The teams around us are the Titans, Panthers, Dragons and Tigers...we're effectively playing for 2 spots with 5 teams. Manly are a bit of a dark horse.

We play the Panthers, Titans and Tigers in the run home.

Meth

Staff member
So, here's the results we want this weekend as far as I can tell.

Beat the Panthers by 10+
Titans get pumped by the Sharks
Eels beat the Tigers.

Blair

Coach

Beat the Panthers by 10+
Eels beat the Tigers.

Oh for a win in one of those home games we blew this year, versus Panthers, Raiders or Manly.

Meth

Staff member
The least likely of all of those results is us beating the Panthers by 10

Blair

Coach
The least likely of all of those results is us beating the Panthers by 10

With Thompson and Vete possibly back, and our centres the same as they've successfully been all year, along with an angry 'point to prove' Tui off the bench, I have more hope than I had on Tuesday.

Of course, playing for our season should also help with the team's motivational-meter. You'd think they'd give it a good shake, no?

Meth

Staff member
As I've said in the other thread, crucial games v the Panthers don't tend to go our way.

Blair

Coach
As I've said in the other thread, crucial games v the Panthers don't tend to go our way.

That's certainly true and living in Pantherland, and being at a couple of those games, I certainly know it. It's an awful walk back to the train station, and quite a depressing ride home. That Panther growl at the stadium gets on one's tits, too.

A million years ago, in 2007, we did beat them in Penrith, claiming a home-final and consigning the Panthers to the 'spoon. However, even that win had a price, losing the in-form Manu and Ropati for the finals, which took away a lot of our penetration in attack.

In 2011, I was also at Penrith when we steamed them on our run to the finals. A Panther broke away down the touchline and I saw Locke just smile at him as he began to give chase. I thought Locke knew he was going to run him down, and he did.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
With Thompson and Vete possibly back, and our centres the same as they've successfully been all year, along with an angry 'point to prove' Tui off the bench, I have more hope than I had on Tuesday.

Of course, playing for our season should also help with the team's motivational-meter. You'd think they'd give it a good shake, no?

Yeah - if those two are in, I think it makes us favourites. Without them, we have one of the most piss weak benches in living memory. It could be argued that Manu being out makes us a better side too, because it'll ensure Ayshford isn't wasting a spot on the bench and Fus goes back to a position he's done so much great stuff for us in this year.

No chance we have more motivation today, however. The Panthers can slip out of the 8, but they can also finish 6th and earn a home final the way the busted Broncos are going. They'll be just as up for the contest as us.

Meth

Staff member
Adding Thompson and Vete gives us a better chance- not sure about favourites.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Sportsbet, TAB both have us at around $1.60, and I'd say that'd be with Vete/Thompson figured in (dunno what the odds were at Tuesday).

At home, I think we're good for favouritism. We did beat Penrith two years ago when they were in the midst of their golden year (and under McFail too). All the talk of Penrith towelling us up in important games, from memory the majority of them were in the west of Sydney.

jaseg

Juniors
Sportsbet, TAB both have us at around $1.60, and I'd say that'd be with Vete/Thompson figured in (dunno what the odds were at Tuesday).

At home, I think we're good for favouritism. We did beat Penrith two years ago when they were in the midst of their golden year (and under McFail too). All the talk of Penrith towelling us up in important games, from memory the majority of them were in the west of Sydney.

The betting guys are all over the place due to this change. There's actually an arb on this game - which you almost never see on NRL games for a bunch of reasons (some complicated, some not). Thanks for the free 3.7%, lol.

It does highlight the BIG shift the bookies have, should Vete & Bodene come in.. even with Manu potentially out(?)

Meth

Staff member

Beat the Panthers by 10+
Eels beat the Tigers.

ha just figured out that we don't really need to beat the Panthers by that much to jump them on the ladder. Would be nice though

Cold Roses

Juniors
ha just figured out that we don't really need to beat the Panthers by that much to jump them on the ladder. Would be nice though

So looks like we are holding onto 8th spot by the skin of our teeth? Courtesy of more points scored than the Panthers, even though our points differential is the same.

We really need The Eels to give the Tigers a touch up now to help our cause.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
So looks like we are holding onto 8th spot by the skin of our teeth? Courtesy of more points scored than the Panthers, even though our points differential is the same.

We really need The Eels to give the Tigers a touch up now to help our cause.
We're safe there, Tigers for and against us gash