What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The run home.

Bazal

Post Whore
Some years ago is some time ago... I think people live in some sort of hope that the Storm are just suddenly going to turn to shit.

Of course they're not going to suddenly turn to shit....but didn't you say we've won 9 of our last 10? And wasn't that loss against fking Newcastle?

Honestly it's much more likely for the first placed team to be knocked over by the fourth placed team than it is for the 4th placed team to be knocked over by the 16th place team. It's as much about us as it is them.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Some years ago is some time ago... I think people live in some sort of hope that the Storm are just suddenly going to turn to shit.
They were minor premiers that year as well. Just like last year and this year. They have never won the comp as minor premiers. That's because being the most consistent team over 26 rounds isn't the same as being the best on the day.

phantom eel

First Grade
It's a monumental achievement for uto reach top four. BA and the squad have done well.

We need to play to that level in the finals, and stay alive until the final four. We can wear a loss against the Sorm and still do that, so long as we beat (presumably) Sharks in week 2. Anything after that - like a win against Roosters/Broncos in week 3, and a Grand Final appearance against Stirm - would be a bonus.

Bazal

Post Whore
Well that will be the plan, but at the end of the day whatever the result against the Storm we will always be one loss away from the end of our season, so the game in affect means little.

The game means a hell of a lot.

Get smacked by 50 and it's pretty much curtains, tough to come back from that in sudden death (probably against the reigning premiers). Make a good tough game of it and you take a lot of confidence into the next game. Win, and you go to the prelims.

Of course it means a lot.

Chipmunk

Coach
Of course they're not going to suddenly turn to shit....but didn't you say we've won 9 of our last 10? And wasn't that loss against fking Newcastle?

Honestly it's much more likely for the first placed team to be knocked over by the fourth placed team than it is for the 4th placed team to be knocked over by the 16th place team. It's as much about us as it is them.

In reality though there is f**k all between the 4th place team and the 16th place team. They're 1st place team for mine is far superior to the 4th place team than the 4th place team is to the 16th place team. We're not that f**ken great in reality.

Forty20

First Grade
If we make the GF and this particular Storm team beats us on the day I still say it will be a monumental achievement to get that far. Anything from here is a bonus, but I'd be almost satisfied with second to that mob in 2017. I can't see anyone touching them, they're that much in front of the field it's not funny.

Can't really disagree with this. We have put ourselves in the position to win it all but it was a pretty colossal effort to get there considering everything this year. Sitting back and enjoying our first finals run for the better part of a decade seems to be the best idea.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Of course they're not going to suddenly turn to shit....
That's right. They don't need to turn to shit. They just need to be off their game, or even just unlucky on the day. It happens. The last time the minor premiers won the comp was 2013. Before that it was 2010 and before that 2003.

#KissOfDeath

Chipmunk

Coach
The game means a hell of a lot.

Get smacked by 50 and it's pretty much curtains, tough to come back from that in sudden death (probably against the reigning premiers). Make a good tough game of it and you take a lot of confidence into the next game. Win, and you go to the prelims.

Of course it means a lot.

I disagree...you're going to play the Storm again if you want to win the GF, you're better off with an ambush after getting hammered than if we won. A 30 point loss in Round 26 didn't hurt us in 2009 when we beat the same team a week later...in fact I'd say if we hadn't been beaten like that we would never have beaten them a week later...

Form is week to week in the NRL, you can recover from big losses in no time...just look at Souths tonight after being pumped by 60 last week by another Top 4 team with a better group of players... Look at the Broncos last night after having 50 put on them by us.

Bazal

Post Whore
In reality though there is f**k all between the 4th place team and the 16th place team. They're 1st place team for mine is far superior to the 4th place team than the 4th place team is to the 16th place team. We're not that f**ken great in reality.

The Storm are four wins better than us if they win this week.

We are 10 wins better than the Knights if they manage a win. 11 if they lose.

We're not great, but we're an absolute f**k load better than the Knights. Anything can happen, and we're closer to the Storm than you think.

Chipmunk

Coach
Can't really disagree with this. We have put ourselves in the position to win it all but it was a pretty colossal effort to get there considering everything this year. Sitting back and enjoying our first finals run for the better part of a decade seems to be the best idea.

Whatever happens from here is just a bonus my friend...sit back, relax and hope the good times role.

Chipmunk

Coach
The Storm are four wins better than us if they win this week.

We are 10 wins better than the Knights if they manage a win. 11 if they lose.

We're not great, but we're an absolute f**k load better than the Knights. Anything can happen, and we're closer to the Storm than you think.

There's no prize for the Storm to win every game...

Bazal

Post Whore
I disagree...you're going to play the Storm again if you want to win the GF,

Says who? They could just as easily lose a prelim. And if you compete or beat them in the first round, you've got a shed load of confidence if you play them again. Getting spanked is almost terminal. You must go down there looking to win, this is not a sacrificial game

Chipmunk said:
you're better off with an ambush after getting hammered than if we won

What? Win, go to prelim, make the Storm play two sudden death games to meet a side that's already beaten them if you get to the GF. Pretty easily preferable. Of course it's a monstrous task. But you've gotta give it a go. Look what we did to Brisbane

Chipmunk said:
A 30 point loss in Round 26 didn't hurt us in 2009 when we beat the same team a week later...in fact I'd say if we hadn't been beaten like that we would never have beaten them a week later...

But that was a tactical loss. DA didn't send them out there to lose, but he also knew that we would be playing the Dragons in a sudden death game either way so he sure as shit didn't give away his game plans. That WAS a sacrificial game. Next week is not.

Chipmunk

Coach
Is there a prize for us to win every game?

No prize for anyone to win every game, but I'd be shocked if we made the GF after beating the Storm next week, but I'd be more confident of making the GF if we lose to the Storm next week. We're just that sort of team.

Bazal

Post Whore
No prize for anyone to win every game, but I'd be shocked if we made the GF after beating the Storm next week, but I'd be more confident of making the GF if we lose to the Storm next week. We're just that sort of team.

And I'd be much less surprised if we made it having won in week one. Momentum is everything, and beating the big dogs is about as much momentum as you can get in a finals series.

Latest posts