What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The 'Thank you Tonga' Thread

Pommy

Coach
Let's by brutally honest: by many alternative metrics, Tonga has won the cup.

It depends if you’re going to make up metrics we can probably award it to every nation.

Player with best surname to get sent home for being drunk. Scotland

Best drums, Lebanon

Best shirt, Lebanon

Best hymn, Fiji

Biggest for and against ratio, USA

Tonga have been great, their fans have been great but it seems like people are just being irrational about it.

With almost total certainty by the only metric that matters Australia win the World Cup, well Australia and rugby league in general have won.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
If you award a/the cup to the nation that performed the best in everything rugby league should encompass - crowds, spirit, exciting play, passion, media impact, fairplay - then Tonga have already won it and finish most likely, ahead of England and certainly Australia.

Leber

Bench
I don't know about anyone else and I'd love to hear other peoples thoughts but for me Tonga v England did way more for me than any State of Origin game ever.
The game had everything from passion, massive body contact,crowd noise, skill, excitement and drama.
The speed of the game was outstanding and although a few errors did creep in that only added to the theatre.

I said in another thread that this was the best game of rugby league I have ever attended. The crowd were amazing and respectful to each other and the atmosphere was amazing.

This is the pinnicle of rugby league. We need more pacific tests in Auckland.

marv

Juniors
Well done Tonga you were amazing! But just not good enough to overcome the English.
I'm sure the Tongan camp are looking over the video and ruing their missed opportunities and mistakes rather than blaming the ref like sad fans in Auckland and Sydney

Perth Red

Post Whore
Brilliant effort by the t9ngan fans to really get behind their team and make this World Cup special. NZRL need tom5ake a long hard look at this and find a way to get nz fans behind the kiwis in the same way.

Australians are a lost cause and we are in danger of seeing the kangaroos more infrequently than a Cronulla premiership!

deluded pom?

Coach
View attachment 16554 View attachment 16555 I’ve never seen support for rugby league like this. One of the best things I’ve seen in sport!
If you ever get the opportunity to attend a PI game at the WC next time it's down under do it. It's like nothing else you will have experienced at a RL match. Samoa v Tonga was the best atmosphere I've ever known. I bet Tonga v England was a step up from that.

Pommy

Coach
If you ever get the opportunity to attend a PI game at the WC next time it's down under do it. It's like nothing else you will have experienced at a RL match. Samoa v Tonga was the best atmosphere I've ever known. I bet Tonga v England was a step up from that.

No need to wait until then. All the Pacific tests and Pacific qualifiers I have attended have been brilliant.
Easily better than any NRL/origin game I have been to.

Nightward

Juniors
The NRL and RLIF need to get on top of setting up a best-of-three series between Tonga and Samoa to be played in the islands ahead of Origin.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
The NRL and RLIF need to get on top of setting up a best-of-three series between Tonga and Samoa to be played in the islands ahead of Origin.

I agree but i think playing them in either Tonga or Samoa would be a bridge too far

It sounds backwards but they would reach a bigger audience if the games were played in Auckland, Christchurch, Sydney or Brisbane. There are more PIs in those cities alone than in their home countries. The economics fit better too

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
I agree but i think playing them in either Tonga or Samoa would be a bridge too far

It sounds backwards but they would reach a bigger audience if the games were played in Auckland, Christchurch, Sydney or Brisbane. There are more PIs in those cities alone than in their home countries. The economics fit better too

agree. it's pure madness to keep playing these games in Cambelltown etc as double headers.

Latest posts