What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Tigers' culture of bullying

Interesting piece in the Sunday Telecrap today, I do not subscribe to the online paper but this is the intro.

EXCLUSIVE: A culture of fear and bullying is threatening to rip the Tigers apart after a damning report slammed the club over the off-field treatment of its players. The explosive eight-page document reveals at least two NRL players have considered committing suicide, while others spoke of being bullied to the point of tears

I have been very reliably informed that the players who have questioned JT were immediately on the outer, Cherrington for example. There was talk that JT hadn't spoken to Farah for months even though Farah had tried to meet with the coach. Players were told to toe the company line no matter what in regards to the Farah issue and who knows, bullied into doing so, perhaps?

Anyway, interesting to read other comments that come in.

BuffaloRules

Coach
The article is unsubstantiated BS...

Full of anonymous quotes...

The media can't get their hate spin for the club consistent...

Previously we have been told it's a boys club where the players make all the decisions... Now the Management of the clubs are the biggest bullies in the league...

Doubt either scenario is reality..

Tiger Ted

Bench
There's no doubt this would happen @ most clubs to a certain degree.

The problem with this club is the coach doesn't possess or employ the professionalism, shrewdness & composure required to harmoniously manage & mentor a footy squad with a diverse range of personalities & levels of maturity.

Taylor is devoid of the many crucial attributes required to extract the best out of the players.A mentally fit & wise coach would've had Farah playing out of his skin & hence should've been able to separate personality differences from the business objectives pertaining to the teams success.

What is unacceptable is the absence of an arms length relationship between the amateurish coach & the inept & rugby league illiterate board particularly the chairwoman.There's no doubt this paranoid idiot was never the best candidate for the coaches job & we will continue to b in the doldrums while he is @ the helm !

magpie4ever

First Grade
What is amazing is certain posters on here immediately blame Taylor and suggest he is the bully or to blame for the situation as published.

Is it true or not, I don't know but let;s put up an opposite scenario - Farah was the bully or led a group that were the main offenders.

I'm not saying this is correct either but some of the ole Balmain crew should have a long & hard look at the crap they post.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Interesting piece in the Sunday Telecrap today, I do not subscribe to the online paper but this is the intro.

I have been very reliably informed that the players who have questioned JT were immediately on the outer, Cherrington for example. There was talk that JT hadn't spoken to Farah for months even though Farah had tried to meet with the coach. Players were told to toe the company line no matter what in regards to the Farah issue and who knows, bullied into doing so, perhaps?

Anyway, interesting to read other comments that come in.

Whilst I'm no JT fan I can 100% confirm that after Farah was dropped JT tried to meet with him on many occasions and Farah refused too. Eventually after a number of weeks they did, Farah refused to shake JTs hand and walked out after a couple of minutes. This was told to me by a brother of a current player (who actually likes Farah)

Vic Mackey

Referee
Btw it's worth to note that shortly after the club released their response the article was deleted from the DT website

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Whilst I'm no JT fan I can 100% confirm that after Farah was dropped JT tried to meet with him on many occasions and Farah refused too. Eventually after a number of weeks they did, Farah refused to shake JTs hand and walked out after a couple of minutes. This was told to me by a brother of a current player (who actually likes Farah)
Now we will see this in the telegraph, cited as 'an anonymous source'.

macnaz

Staff member
What is amazing is certain posters on here immediately blame Taylor and suggest he is the bully or to blame for the situation as published.

Is it true or not, I don't know but let;s put up an opposite scenario - Farah was the bully or led a group that were the main offenders.

I'm not saying this is correct either but some of the ole Balmain crew should have a long & hard look at the crap they post.
Why does it have to Be Balmain crew, plenty of Weststigers think JT is a tool.
But anyway i agreed with your post minus the last bit.

Big man

Juniors
Don't know and don't care who is right or wrong but this Taylor vs Farah war will be played out round one. It's one thing ambushing Souths during the season but it's another totally different task beating them round one with a pumped Robbie Farah. Souths don't lose their round one games and the extra motivation with a lets do it for Robbie chant, will almost guarantee a flogging at the hands of a big pumped up Souths team wanting redemption after a poor 2016 season. Not happy Jan!

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bullying comes in many different forms and is subjective to the victim.

I don't think anyone at this club has the balls to be a bully.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Daily telegraph are full of shit. Even if there is an element of truth to this, the conditions have been greatly improved and Halutau is now in charge of ensuring player welfare is up to standard.

People contemplating suicide is a serious matter, especially if your work environment is adding to the stress. I hope that the statements were taken out of context, or at least the issues have been resolved and players feel they are being looked after correctly.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
It would appear that parts of the report were cherrypicked and thus, taken out of context.

Which is entirely believable given it was the Murdoch media that produced this shite.

Tiger05

First Grade

The whole thing seems like a load of BS. I don't think there is any bullying.

Shredder

Juniors
Oh there probably is - like in any work place.

Its just gotten so hippy these days that pretty much any negative comment is considered bullying.

"You gotta hit the defensive line harder" could be considered bullying.

I mean, what would be considered bullying in many work places now, 15 years ago would be banter.

I work in stock broking - if we were sensitive, the market would close.

Oh there probably is - like in any work place.

Its just gotten so hippy these days that pretty much any negative comment is considered bullying.

"You gotta hit the defensive line harder" could be considered bullying.

I mean, what would be considered bullying in many work places now, 15 years ago would be banter.

I work in stock broking - if we were sensitive, the market would close.

Anyone who did an apprenticeship 15+ years ago would know what workplace bullying really was.

These clowns who sulk because someone told them they weren't doing their job well enough.