What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Travel Thread

Raider_69

Post Whore
me and my fiancee planned to do Brasil for the WC. But we're hoping to be new parents by then, so its out unless shit happens and we have troubles. Uber jealous, Brasil WC would be f**king INSANE!

Misanthrope

Staff member
Love your blog btw CWB, great stuff!

Thanks mate! I didn't know you were reading :)

Jealous of your travel plans, Raider. Sounds like one hell of a way to lead into your marriage. Congrats on that.

What type of website earns you this type of cash Mis? I can't think of anything other than...

It's a travel blog. Google Aussie on the Road and you'll find it.

The money it brings in is hardly consistent. I've brought in a good chunk of change this week (although that should be $300, not $600 - no idea why I typed that) but hadn't for a month or two. My best month was a grand leading into Christmas, but on average I'd say $150 a month is more realistic.

Been to NZ a few times, Japan, hong kong, china, Thailand, the US, Mexico, Hawaii and the pacific islands (Vanuatu, Fiji and New Caledonia).

Any tips for China beyond the Great Wall, Beijing, the Forbidden City, and Shanghai? I figure a year there gives me plenty of time to explore :lol:

Bazal

Post Whore
Planning SE Asia next year...wish I could do it this year but won't have the funds...

Misanthrope

Staff member
Planning SE Asia next year...wish I could do it this year but won't have the funds...

Might see you there. I'm hoping to hit Thailand and Cambodia, and might try and squeeze either Vietnam or Laos in at the end as well.

Springs

First Grade
Did The Overland Track in Tasmania in January. That's my only travel experience so far. I plan to do many more walking tracks, starting with The Milford Track in NZ and would love to do the big walking tracks in England and Europe. If I ever wanted to commit suicide I think I would do it by walking the entirety of Asia-Europe.

Four years ago I booked my place on the Titanic 100th Anniversary Cruise. But well a lot of f**king around by them and me being quite annoyed means I'm not going anymore.
Definitely going to the 2013 World Cup. Spend a few months in England and Ireland hopefully. Wish I could get out before then but simply don't have the money.

If anyone has been to Ireland could you tell me if the traditional Ireland is still there? Or is it all like Dublin which I have heard has changed a lot in the last few decades.

Bazal

Post Whore
Might see you there. I'm hoping to hit Thailand and Cambodia, and might try and squeeze either Vietnam or Laos in at the end as well.

Gonna do Singapore and definitely Malaysia, hit up my old haunts from when I was living there as a kid. Then Vietnam for sure, and either Laos or Thailand. I want to go Laos, having been to Thailand already, but the wifey wants Thailand so we'll see :p It'll be her first time there, whereas I did a lot as a kid, awesome place

In the last 6 months I have done Afghanistan, Dubai, Oman, Thailand, Bahrain. My next big overseas trip is back to Australia, can't come soon enough.

Misanthrope

Staff member
In the last 6 months I have done Afghanistan, Dubai, Oman, Thailand, Bahrain. My next big overseas trip is back to Australia, can't come soon enough.

How did you find the middle eastern countries? I'd love to visit them someday.

bartman

Immortal
It's a travel blog. Google Aussie on the Road and you'll find it.

The money it brings in is hardly consistent. I've brought in a good chunk of change this week (although that should be $300, not $600 - no idea why I typed that) but hadn't for a month or two. My best month was a grand leading into Christmas, but on average I'd say $150 a month is more realistic.
Nice one :thumn.

How did you find the middle eastern countries? I'd love to visit them someday.

The longer I am here the more I dont like it. I find Arabs are very rude, and very dirty. They spit where ever they want, every toilet you go to is absolutely drenched in water, on the floor, on the seat, as they wash their feet in the toilet before they pray (they could atleast clean their mess up). Their laws are backwards even in more westernised places like Dubai and Oman. E.g, if you have a car accident you have to wait until the police come (fair enough) if you are a foreigner and the accident is with a local no matter who caused the crash the foreigner is automatically at fault and is fined on the spot. I have seen it happen a number of times here now. I would never holiday in Dubai, it's an extremely boring place with nothing to do. There is no nightlife, shopping is all it has to offer here with the biggest malls in the world, but very expensive. The architecture here is amazing, but there are a lot of unfinished buildings due to the GFC. You could do everything Dubai has to offer in 3 days, so it would be ok for a stop over.

Garts

Bench
Heading to Thailand for 3 weeks in June. I want to do Laos and Vietnam (done Cambodia, its awesome) but with a 6 month old baby we dont want to be on the go all the time. Just a relaxing trip in a few locations around Thailand and I have done it before so know what to expect.

Bali is the worst holiday destination I could think of. The only good thing is some of the surf spots on the Bukit Peninsula. The place is just full of bogan Aussies. I went when I was 21 and thought it was ok then, I knew no different. But I went back on a family trip last August. Never again.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Got word back from my soon-to-be employer in China. Looks like I'll be rocking the Orient by mid March. Just in time for spring. Love it!

IanG

Coach
Question for you guys about flying. When it comes to your check in luggage does it go straight to your destination or do you have to collect it at each stop over?

Planning a trip later this year. Last time I flew they were direct flights

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
if you get off the plane, so does you luggage, except if you are just in transit lounge while they are refuelling

IanG

Coach
Ah ok thanks.

Looking at going to Townsville but it looks more than likely that I'd have to have a stop over and change flights in Brisbane

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
they wont refuel on a one hour flight, they generally refuel after 6 or 8 hours

Joker's Wild

Coach
Ah ok thanks.

Looking at going to Townsville but it looks more than likely that I'd have to have a stop over and change flights in Brisbane

Your bags will go to your destination mate, you wont have to collect them and recheck them in Brisbane

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
depends who you fly with, if its Tiger Airways your bags could end up in Thailand

Latest posts