What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Travel Thread

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
im hoping to land a job in Christchurch so ill be exploring the south island. Better half hasn't been anywhere so aiming for a big trip end of year to either South America or Asia

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Sould be plenty of work for an Engineer as everything fell down in Christchurch

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
yep, the whole country is booming and will be for awhile. Chance to stay in the same spot for awhile and have a semi-normal life with the lady. I really want a dog.

Red Bear

Referee
Christchurch is nice but a little dull. Access to rest of south island is worthwhile though, amazing place.

been to NZ twice, then Mexico, Cuba, Guatemala and through Belize in 2015 on this trip, now in the states.
- Mexico City was a good introduction to Mexico. Good street food, good company, cheap. Pyramid of the sun/moon well worth visiting, food museums also. Downside was sewage smell, lack of greenspace inner city and having to go back for an extremely underwhelming new years.
-Cuba was unlike anything else, crumbling architecture and classic cars. Healthy, vibrant people with no money. Havana was pretty wild, but people did try and swindle you. Filthy also, infrastructure was broken. Not a shining advert for communism but well worth visiting before it opens up to the states and becomes another Cancun. Beaches were great. Food was abysmal, and i got food poisoning. Not so fun.
- Tulum was fine. Like going to byron, which was needed post Cuba - some creature comforts. Nice food, if pricey. Beaches all resort dominated was a bit shit, but swimming in Cenotes amazing.
- Play del carmen was a toilet with the best hostel, from a partying perspective, ive been to (the yak).
- lake Bacalar well worth visiting, sleepy town on a beautiful lake. There for two nights, one full day, paddled around on kayaks, had a swim, enjoyed the serenity. Then 12 hour bus to Flores, Guatemala.
- Arrived there via Belize, stayed off the island in San Miguel. Stunning views of Lake Petan and Flores, great hostel and hostel owner. Flores was v sleepy though, but nice.
- did a 5 day hike from christmas, though, to El Mirador. That was awesome, in dense jungle with mules carrying the food. Hiking up the pyramid structures at el mirador gave 360° views of jungle which was pretty great. Saw monkeys including howler monkeys, which are terrifying sounding. Also toucans and frogs and such. Rural guatemala was pretty intense, so poor, so isolated. Chicken bus back to flores also an experience.
- from there another flores night, overnight bus to Guatemala city, plane to mexico city and a few wasted days. Then flew to the states.
Austin, Texas is an amazingly good city. Great music everywhere with a decent amount of variety. Clean, friendly. University worth exploring, LBJ museum and library worth visiting, capitol building likewise, good food and beer, great paths along the river and clean, healthy, vibrant people. Really loved it.
New orleans im just leaving. Enjoyed the music and Frenchmans st. Prefer both Austin and Nashville as music towns though. Fun but not sure i did it well, not sure its that great a place.

Now going to visit relatives in Orlando, then flying to LA, getting a car and driving out to Death Valley, through Vegas to flagstaff, arizona, to go visit the grand canyon and also go snowboarding. Then back via Joshua Tree before a final night in San Diego and then home to Australia.

so highlights were hike in guatemala, cenotes in tulum and Austin. Lowlights cuban food, long buses and Playa Del Carmen.

good trip though.
Will be lucky to do much else, have a full time job and unlikely holidays till christmas, so more low key this year. Places on the agenda in next little while are tassie, uluru and the territory, sri lanka, principally.

_Johnsy

Referee
What's on everybody's 2016 to do list?

I'm headed to the US for a five week road trip in late January with Hoggmaster. Off to Africa again in May and Sweden for a conference in July. Got a work thing in Thailand in November, and I'm due back in China for 2-3 months at some point as well.

Can't wait!

Finally got some time off in mid June - early July.

Heading over to Thailand then HK. Can't wait, but I do have a gut feel (no idea why just get them every now & then & they're usually spot on) i'll be left disappointed by HK. I'll head over with no preconceived ideas & hope for the best. The food should be brilliant there though.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Finally got some time off in mid June - early July.

Heading over to Thailand then HK. Can't wait, but I do have a gut feel (no idea why just get them every now & then & they're usually spot on) i'll be left disappointed by HK. I'll head over with no preconceived ideas & hope for the best. The food should be brilliant there though.

I've always thought of Hong Kong (and Taiwan, for that matter) as China if done right. All of the cultural charm of the mainland, but none of the spitting and insane government.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Speaking of China, looks like I've finally got a rough return date. Finally convinced by boss she needed to cover my rent and living expenses if she wanted me to go live there for six months.

I'll say hi to Voldemort for all of you.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Singapore is fine. It's got a fair bit of soul once you get out of the city. Stay somewhere like Aljuneid, You can walk into town and they even throw garbage on the ground out there! I stay in Bugis most of the time, Haji Lane has probably the most amazeballs fusion cuisine ever - The Rendang Meat pie.

Hong Kong, if you want to stay out of the Ghetto Mansions (And I do, got I hate the Mansions), now that is the most ridiculously expensive place in Asia.

Where was it on the mainland that you lived again?

t-ba

Post Whore
Yichang Hubei. Home of the three gorges dam.

After all that bagging out of HK I took a job here lol. Guess the alighty ollar wins out lol.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I'm headed back in May or so, and need to choose a base.

Nanjing is the obvious choice, but wouldn't mind a change of scene.

Decisions, decisions...

t-ba

Post Whore
Yichang is a hard no lol.

Wuhan, the capital of Hubei is pretty well connected these days and has like 5000 foreign exchange students in its universities. Weather is equally shit to Nanjing however.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Yeah, not looking forward to my next Nanjing winter. Bloody miserable.

My boss is happy for me to go wherever I like, but I'm not sure I can justify Xiamen or Sanya to her :lol:

t-ba

Post Whore
Xiamen and Kunming are about the only Chinese cities I would willingly live in.

sportive cupid

Referee
I'm heading to Korea to present at a conference in July ..I would like to travel either in Korea or around ..who here has ideas ?

Misanthrope

Staff member
Lived there for two and a half years. Still one of my favourite places in the world.

How long do you have to travel?

mackdadday

Juniors
I'm planning to do 6 months in South East Asia later in the year. Phillo, Malaysia, Brunei, Singapore, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos and Myanmar. Should be lovely. Can't wait to be mauled by a Tarsier.

sportive cupid

Referee
Lived there for two and a half years. Still one of my favourite places in the world.

How long do you have to travel?

Unfortuneatly only a few weeks .I need to take some time off around Christmas to visit my granddaughters is Canada so I don't think il get more leave tha that approved.