The Ultimate Islam Thread

Discussion in 'Four Corners' started by millersnose, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Game_Breaker

Game_Breaker First Grade

Especially against civilians doesn't mean exclusively against civilians which seems to be the point you're making.
    But even that doesn't matter, because the protestors themselves were also civilians

Pantherjim. likes this.
  2. age.s

age.s Bench

Violence carried out with the express aim of targeting civilians is a thing. Politically motivated violence is a different (if related) thing. We use terminology to communicate concepts and expanding the definition of the word to mean everything from the Manchester bombings to some fisticuffs between Antifa and Reclaim only serves to disrupt our ability to utilize language.

3. Game_Breaker

Game_Breaker First Grade

This wasn't fisticuffs, he ran over people he politically disagreed with

What's the difference between this, the nutter who ran over Muslims in London, or the extremists who ran over civilians on London Bridge?

Pantherjim. likes this.
  4. age.s

age.s Bench

I mentioned this earlier. From what I can tell the Irish incident is violence between two sets of protesters (that escalated way too far), similar to Antifa/Reclaim. The London attacks (both of them) were aimed at people going about their daily business.

AJB1102 likes this.
  5. Surely

Surely Moderator Staff Member

One man's terrorist is another man's asshole

6. AJB1102

AJB1102 Juniors

1 nutter from Group A losing his shit and going homicidal on opposing people from Group B does not fit in the same category as nutters from Group ISIS planning and carrying out deadly attacks on groups of mostly teenage girls who have no part in any of their bullshit but were attending a concert.

All most likely 'terrifying' to those involved, one fits my description of modern day terror way more than the other.

7. Game_Breaker

Game_Breaker First Grade

They're both civilians though, and you're right it did escalate. Unfortunately, it escalated to the point where an act of terror was committed

I don't recall anyone claiming the Irish nutter was in the same category as Isis.

The logic of dismissing one terror attack because it doesn't compare with another is baffling too. All Isis attacks don't compare with 9/11, that doesn't mean we dismiss them.

Pantherjim. likes this.
  8. Pantherjim.

Pantherjim. Coach

In both scenarios the attacks were politically and religiously motivated and the victims were innocent people. So they both fit under the "terrorist act" category. No "if's" "buts" or "maybes".

Your "Feelz" towards the perps in Group ISIS and your indifference to the religious and political motivations of the nutter in group A are pretty much irrelevant.

9. gUt

gUt Coach

The purpose of terrorist attacks has usually been to call attention to a cause and dramaticise it. To apply pressure to a government to change a policy.

I think PJ's example and the most recent van attack against the Muslims both qualify.

Pantherjim. likes this.
  10. age.s

age.s Bench

So how do we get definition of terrorism that includes the Irish incident and not Antifa/Reclaim fisties?

11. Mr Angry

Mr Angry Not a Referee

The original lunatic...

Not to me,

American Hero is Truman.

Doing this exact thing, makes me a lunny one.

In the mean time, keep fighting over a shyte hole at the arse end of Mediterranean, and pretend immigration policy is the answer.

Men who do not send girls to school, have no place in this time or any world I want to live in.

Simple, call my communist, fascist, lunatic, envious of these men, whom have for thousands of years already been driving into the arse ends of world. Then they found oil.

In 2017 we are still fighting men who just want oppress women.

But as long as the holy lands are safe...just let it be.

12. Smack

Smack Bench

reported witnesses saying a man shouted “Allahu Akbar” before the small blast after 9pm Tuesday (5am Wednesday AEST).

Good job Brussels Police. They are on the front lines, while pollies who don't have the balls to pass policy to protect it's citizens because of muh feelings.

13. 2_Smoking_Guns

2_Smoking_Guns First Grade

most news outlets are reporting it was soldiers who shot the f**kwit and to have the military roaming around train stations with permission to open fire laws would have to have been passed... idiot....

14. Danish

Danish Referee

What policy are you talking about exactly? The one that simply allows a police force to exist?

Politicians don't decide where police are stationed, and any police officer around the world would have the legal right to shoot a terrorist trying to detonate an explosive vest. No special policy required

15. 2_Smoking_Guns

Soldiers are not the police force.... well not in most civilised countries... you sure won't find armed ADF soldiers patrolling Central Station ready to shoot without politicians making decisions to "protect it's citizens"....

16. Smack

Smack Bench

Coppers were all over the city today, good to see.

17. Danish

Danish Referee

Why not? Aren't there already procedures in place for the police to ask for ADF help?

I believe that is the case since the police choosing not to enlist the ADF to assist in the Lindt siege was one of the key points being discussed during the inquiry into that debacle. I suppose a policy would have had to be crafted at some point in the past to grant such powers though.

Speaking of which, given how completely unprepared to handle an attack that incident showed us to be, one wonders why we don't actually see members of the ADF or at least heavily armed police patrolling popular areas of the city like you do in basically every other major city outside of Australia

18. 2_Smoking_Guns

because they're too busy out in the suburbs dealing with meth-heads and wife beaters..... both of which are far more likely to kill innocent people than fanatics from either side of the spectrum....

19. Smack

Smack Bench

20. 2_Smoking_Guns

that'll teach them Muslims....