The Ultimate Islam Thread

Discussion in 'Four Corners' started by millersnose, Jul 26, 2016.

1. millersnose

millersnose Post Whore

Boners is right
    It's nothing to do with religion
    That's why these bombings and murders are roughly equally spread amongst Buddhist groups and Hindu groups as well as Islamist groups

The Buddhist state and the Hindu state terrorist movements are equally dangerous and that's why the worlds anti terrorism authorities spend as much time on surveillance of Hindu temples as they do on mosques....

AJB1102 and Collateral like this.
  2. 2_Smoking_Guns

2_Smoking_Guns First Grade

are you alright there old mate..?? those mussies haven't given you a churned stomach have they..?? grab a bex and lay down old fella....

3. Smack

Smack Bench

4. Snoop

Snoop Coach

There are many things you can be fanatical about. Some people are fanatic about Thermomix cookers, some about sports and other's about how good their kids is in some vain attempt to make up for their own failed childhood dream of being great. Fanaticism can be good, benign or bad depending on what you are fanatic about. I know people who are absolutely fanatical about helping people and history is littered with people absolutely fanatical about killing people. What you are fanatical about matters.

Now your claim that the majority of Muslims abhor violence of any kind is just not true, or at least in the way you imply. I mean statistically speaking if 51% abhor violence of any kind while 49% are at least fine with some level of violence your statement would be correct .... but alarming at the same time. No, what you are insinuating is that 'true' Muslims abhor violence and it's only 'fake' Muslims that use violence. The biggest problem with this is that it would render Muhammad a fake Muslim whereas he is according to Islam the best of Muslims.

Collateral likes this.
  5. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Coach

Yet Christianity is a religion of peace, and believes in the god of the old testament?

Please.

The point being that religion is not the cause of the evils of man, despite it's use as an excuse, and it's blame.

6. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Coach

Lol.

This in response to a post in which 2SG clearly mentions the Rohingya. I do wonder if they would share your views on the benevolence of a Buddhist state?

7. Snoop

Snoop Coach

Out of interest, have you read the Bible and the Quran cover to cover?

I actually agree with you here. But where do you think evil comes from then?

Smack likes this.
  8. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Coach

No, I profess no particular interest, nor expertise in either. However I am well aware both contain their fair share of violence, justified in one way or another by god.

It doesn't "come from" anywhere. Least not some god or gods or what ever. It's a concept of morality, it's not an actual thing.

9. Snoop

Snoop Coach

But what you call evil, jihadis call good. If we can all just conceptualise for ourselves or a like-minded group what good and evil is then it just boils down to preferences.

10. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Coach

Yes that is correct.

I use the word evil because it's descriptive enough of certain actions, because we accept those actions to be evil. However I don't see evil as anything more than a moral or ethical position. And that of course is subjective. As I have no belief in god or gods, it can't be anything but.

So the way I see it, there is no definitive good nor evil, only my ethical judgement upon what is or isn't, and that is formed by personal and collective experience.

11. Snoop

Snoop Coach

But what you accept to be evil others might see as good. Effectively good and evil are merely your moral preferences. Right?

12. millersnose

millersnose Post Whore

Well you are a leftist
    The rest of us know plowing a truck into holiday makers in the south of France killing and maiming hundreds is definitive evil
    No ifs or buts

Smack likes this.
  13. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Coach

Yes. ( moral / ethical )

14. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Coach

Mate, wipe your mouth, you're dribbling.

This is an ethical judgement, I would call it an abhorrent action, the guy who drove the truck, probably not so much.

You could well describe it as you do, and that's fine by me. However this doesn't make evil a thing. It's a concept of human construction.

15. Collateral

Collateral Moderator Staff Member

In your opinion...

16. millersnose

millersnose Post Whore

It was evil no ifs or buts
    But like I said
    You are a leftist so the possibility may exist in your mind that in some weird context it wasn't evil

17. gUt

gUt Coach

Millers you dilute your own good points with that ad hom stuff.

18. age.s

age.s Bench

Of course evil is a thing. That a person with a deranged ideology would be deluded into not seeing evil actions for what they are doesn't invalidate it's existence. That it's difficult (or even impossible) to very precisely define doesn't invalidate it's existence. That it is not an entity that's observable on the physical plane doesn't invalidate it's existence. That it's possible for the term to be misused to describe actions that fall into an area of grey doesn't invalidate it's existence. Doing mental gymnastics to avoid interpreting it for what it is is the worst kind of postmodernist nonsense going around these days and yes, Millers is right to point out more of it is done it on the left than the right.

19. millersnose

millersnose Post Whore

What ad Hom?

20. age.s

age.s Bench

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    gUt likes this.