The Ultimate Islam Thread

Discussion in 'Four Corners' started by millersnose, Jul 26, 2016.

1. millersnose

millersnose Post Whore

Given bandy is a leftist and leftists have a capacity for moral equivocation that elude the rest of us I see no ad hom

2. AJB1102

AJB1102 Juniors

The bloke in the truck doesn't see it as evil or wrong? Then why the f**k would he use it to attack an enemy?

3. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Coach

Ah yeah mate, It's an opinion, so?

4. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Coach

Because he doesn't see it as evil or wrong.

5. Snoop

Snoop Coach

Some of us think that merely having a preference for someone to refrain from running down innocent men, women and children is a bit, well, weak.

Collateral likes this.
  6. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Coach

But if it's a thing, From where does it come?

7. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Coach

You chose the word preference, myself I'd reckon choosing a word to describe another's position and then attacking it based on that word, is well, a pretty weak argument.

8. Snoop

Snoop Coach

On the previous page:

Me: But what you call evil, jihadis call good. If we can all just conceptualise for ourselves or a like-minded group what good and evil is then it just boils down to preferences.

You: Yes that is correct.

9. AJB1102

AJB1102 Juniors

Well he does it in an attempt to attack an enemy so he knows it must be at least an unwelcome gesture.

10. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Coach

I'm quite certain that is a bit of an understatement.

11. age.s

age.s Bench

It's an impossible question to answer with certainty, but like many metaphysical concepts I'd say it has roots in the human psyche.

12. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Coach

Yes, I agreed with your summation, and added further clarification. I'm rather sorry i wasn't picky with your wording.

Next time I'll know better, that's certain to add to the quality of our discussion.

13. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Coach

Which is kind of what I'm saying.

It doesn't really exist outside of that, Which is not to say we can't iperceive an act or action as evil, because we most certainly can.

14. age.s

age.s Bench

That was one of the things you were saying. My post was pretty clearly aimed at the "it's all subjective" line of argument, which it certainly looked like you were making earlier.

15. Snoop

Snoop Coach

But that's sort of agreeing with Bandwagon. If evil comes from the human psyche then it sounds like you are arguing that it is subjective.

16. Snoop

Snoop Coach

17. age.s

age.s Bench

Not at all. It's an abstraction of certain patterns of thinking or behaviors that display certain characteristics that can only be described evil. My view is that those patterns come from within us. Your view on its source likely differs.

Yes it's possible for there to be a level of subjectivity around the use of the term, but it doesn't mean it's an inappropriate way to describe certain actions. Anyone invoking subjectivity at someone detonating a bomb filled will ball bearings at a concert for teenage girls needs their head seriously read. Same goes for people driving trucks into crowds or knocking a hole in a 34th story hotel window and spraying bullets indiscriminately. It has nothing to do with what side of a geopolitical fence you sit on either. It's f**king evil and it deserves to be called such.

18. Snoop

Snoop Coach

Well I think you find yourself in a bit of a fix since if patters of thought and behaviour come from within us then they are by definition subjective. Yet at the same time there is something within you that wants (and rightly so) to call things such as terrorism objectively evil. Can you see the problem?

19. age.s

age.s Bench

No I don't agree. It's an abstraction. It's at once metaphysical and also true.

Whether an otherworldly being has defined it objectively true or it's true because certain human behaviours are so far removed from the productive, stable behaviours conducive to flourishing communities that we've evolved to be repulsed in the extreme by them is largely irrelevant. It's a word that has great utility in describing certain actions any right minded individual will call evil. I don't know how it's possible for an abstract concept to be more real or true than that.

20. Snoop

Snoop Coach

I'm all for people using the word 'evil' to describe various things such an sexual abuse and indiscriminate killing. But how you conceptualise evil is at it's core subjective. But at the same time I think you think some acts are objectively evil, in that no matter what anyone thinks about them they are evil acts. So either how you conceptualise evil is not correct or there is no such thing as objective evil.